TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why With those ugly 18' Wheels!?

gc12

The 18 inch wheels make The Shelby KR look like crap. They destroyed the beauty of the beast seen with the 20 inch wheels. Am I mistaken or are the 20' wheels mounted on the Super Snake? If so, I find it totally ridiculous to have stayed with the 18' wheels for their flagship car especially considering the price they're asking. A real shame!

:banghead:

The 18 inch wheels make The Shelby KR look like crap. They destroyed the beauty of the beast seen with the 20 inch wheels. Am I mistaken or are the 20' wheels mounted on the Super Snake? If so, I find it totally ridiculous to have stayed with the 18' wheels for their flagship car especially considering the price they're asking. A real shame!

When you get your KR I'll buy your 18" wheels, then you can go buy the 20" Alcoas

THEY ARE NOT THE GREATEST LOOKING RIM IN THE WORLD BUT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SATISFY EVERYONE, OH AND BY THE WAY ARE YOU EVEN GETTING A KR.

Deal on selling my rims to the first bidder :hysterical:

But you've got to admit that they could have built the KR with the 20" wheels from the get go like they did for the Super Snake car. As for odrering the 20" wheels from france, it's not going to be easy at all and I'm not even sure you can fit them as is without modding the suspension, chassis ...etc and also RPM's will change due to change in rims diameter.

As for why I'm buying the KR, it's just that I fell in love the first time I saw the car in New York and I've been ever since until I saw those wheels lol!

But you've got to admit that they could have built the KR with the 20" wheels from the get go like they did for the Super Snake car. As for odrering the 20" wheels from france, it's not going to be easy at all and I'm not even sure you can fit them as is without modding the suspension, chassis ...etc and also RPM's will change due to change in rims diameter.

As for why I'm buying the KR, it's just that I fell in love the first time I saw the car in New York and I've been ever since until I saw those wheels lol!

Sct Tuner will fix you right up for the wheel swap!

Send Amy/Bud a email, tell them you want the 20" Alcoas on your KR. Your KR could be shipped to you with them on. Send me a pm and we can settle the deal.

Send Amy/Bud a email, tell them you want the 20" Alcoas on your KR. Your KR could be shipped to you with them on. Send me a pm and we can settle the deal.

THEY WILL NOT SHIP YOUR CAR WITH 20" RIMS AS THEY WERE CERTIFIED WITH THE 18" RIMS AND BY LAW THEY HAVE TO DELIVER THE CAR THAT WAY, IF YOU WANT THE 20" YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY THEM AND INSTALL THEM YOURSELF, FACT

THEY WILL NOT SHIP YOUR CAR WITH 20" RIMS AS THEY WERE CERTIFIED WITH THE 18" RIMS AND BY LAW THEY HAVE TO DELIVER THE CAR THAT WAY, IF YOU WANT THE 20" YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY THEM AND INSTALL THEM YOURSELF, FACT

But could he not contract with someone, in between delivery and shipment to France, who could do the swap? Once he owns the car, it is just a matter of getting the right people in place to help do what he needs done and everyone ends up happy. Jim

What's with the caps/yelling? Your all over the KR forum complaining about something, if you not happy with the KR don't get one. As much as I would like the 18" Alcoas, not sure I would want a set with KR on them. Just wish SAI/SPP would make them available to us along with other 18" wheel options that fit the GT500 with stock brakes. Sorry if I struck a nerve.

They went to the 18's because they out perform the 20's .(less unsprung weight and better tire side wall)

The KR outperforms the SS on the track and the skid pad and I dare say on the street as well in no small part because of the 18" wheels and better tires.

If you want just looks then go with the 20's but if you want both looks and performance then an 18" wheel to your liking is the way to go.

GT500KR

0-60 4.3

12.1@115

1.0 G

71.7 mph slalom

60-0 109 feet

SuperSnake

0-60 4.4

12.5@119

.93 G

68.4 mph slalom

60-0 118ft.

I've never for one minute thought otherwise ;-)

The problem will be to ship the 20" wheels to France (I don't even know if the shop ships overseas) and to have them installed, buy new tires, etc... But I don't see why it wouldn't be feasable as the SS has already those factory installed and the car doesn't seem so much different from the KR.

By the way does anybody know if I should go for the 20x10 Shelby forged Alcoa wheels or the 20x9 ?

Thanks for the interesting data SVTBird but I'm willing to trade one tenth of a second for much better looking rims :-))

Robert posted this under the ask Amy forum, 2008 KR upgrades,

a statement about KR upgrades will be made soon. We'll post it in the KR forum HERE when everything is in order.

Also from the last SAI update that was posted on this site,

The King of the Road will begin it's life in a very similar to how the Shelby GT does. Ford will build the GT500 at it's plant in Flatrock, Michigan. Any options such as halogen headlights, navigation, Shaker 500 or 1000 stereos and interior options can be added while ordering your KR through your dealer. It will then be shipped to our Las Vegas facility to be upfitted to "the King". While your vehicle is in Las Vegas, you can take advantage of our Museum Delivery Program to pick up your car RIGHT HERE AT SHELBY WORLD HEADQUARTERS! Contact Adrienne Poplin for details. AdrienneP@shelbyautos.com

But before you make arrangements to pick your car up here, be sure to browse www.ShelbyPerformanceParts.com to see if there is anything else we can add for you while your car is being upfitted.

I guess we will have to wait and see

By the way does anybody know if I should go for the 20x10 Shelby forged Alcoa wheels or the 20x9 ?

9" on the front, 10" on the rear. As to 20" vs. 18", it does come down to having your car be just the way you want it. Good luck on this. Keep us up to date on your progress. Jim

9" on the front, 10" on the rear. As to 20" vs. 18", it does come down to having your car be just the way you want it. Good luck on this. Keep us up to date on your progress. Jim

I definitely will keep you updated. Thanks to all of you guys for all your help. I will inform the French garage (www.madness-us-cars.com) which is importing the car (black w/ black stripes) from a US dealer of the fact that it might become possible to have the 20" wheels fitted before shipping from the Shelby factory.

Cheers!

I've never for one minute thought otherwise ;-)

Thanks for the interesting data SVTBird but I'm willing to trade one tenth of a second for much better looking rims :-))

It's a much more than one tenth of a second. It's handling , braking and all aroung street manners. That said I do agree the 20's do look better , there just inferior in every performance aspect. I thought you should know that you will be changing the vehicle's dynamics quite a bit in the wrong direction.

The real shame would have been that it did have the 20's and not have the 18's. IMO FMCO knew better .

It's a much more than one tenth of a second. It's handling , braking and all aroung street manners. That said I do agree the 20's do look better , there just inferior in every performance aspect. I thought you should know that you will be changing the vehicle's dynamics quite a bit in the wrong direction.

The real shame would have been that it did have the 20's and not have the 18's. IMO FMCO knew better .

I agree with what you're saying but I still think they should at least offer them as an option for the KR customer. After all it comes down to leaving the final choice to the final owner/user.

I agree with what you're saying but I still think they should at least offer them as an option for the KR customer. After all it comes down to leaving the final choice to the final owner/user.

I doubt Ford would allow it. Maybe that's why. After all SVT spent quite a bit of time and resources to develope this car .

They went to the 18's because they out perform the 20's .(less unsprung weight and better tire side wall)

The KR outperforms the SS on the track and the skid pad and I dare say on the street as well in no small part because of the 18" wheels and better tires.

If you want just looks then go with the 20's but if you want both looks and performance then an 18" wheel to your liking is the way to go.

GT500KR

0-60 4.3

12.1@115

1.0 G

71.7 mph slalom

60-0 109 feet

SuperSnake

0-60 4.4

12.5@119

.93 G

68.4 mph slalom

60-0 118ft.

The KR Wheels are better performers, and they meet the strict requirements for a Pre title car. That is the main reason for the 18", we are currently looking into do mods for this car, we are looking into it because this isn't exactly like the shelby GT build

Amy

The KR Wheels are better performers, and they meet the strict requirements for a Pre title car. That is the main reason for the 18", we are currently looking into do mods for this car, we are looking into it because this isn't exactly like the shelby GT build

Amy

Amy, do you mean something like build the KR to the Ford Mulrooney and then do some post-retail mods ...for initial pick-up at SAI? That would be very cool, I think.

Dan

Amy

Although I don't really know what's meant by "Pre Title car" I'm starting to get a warm and fuzzy feeling about being able to get those magnificent 20" wheels and other options (for those who want them) on the KR before it leaves the Shelby factory to meet its final owner. Thanks for the quick answer Amy!

• 1 month later...

Amy

How can a 605 or 725 hp car have such pathetic 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, seems hard to believe even for a 3900 lb car.

I also agree as many things are very expensive for what you seem to get for your money. The brake package, cross drilled rotors etc, 20" rims should come with the KR for what you have to pay.

Fwiw, the 20s make it harder to hook and will impact handling with the live axle -- not enough 'cushion' between wheel and road to tune the 20s to the live-axle, imo, even with the anti-hop <lol> axle weights removed ...that's likely why Ford put the 18s on the KR.

For 20s to stick as well as 18s (assuming similar overall diameters) they would likely require dangerously low tire pressures (risking bead-slip and sidewall damage) to match-up the tire 'response' to suspension 'response' for best results. The high unsprung weight of the relatively heavy live axle causes a suspension frequency that is just too low for lwo-profile 20s, imo. 20s would work great on the front, imo, with 18s on the back ...but that would just be so wrong <lol> The difference isn't huge, but it's very real, imo, and will undoubtedly show on the timers -- straight line or in the twisties. Just my .02

The saying comes to mind: HP is only good for bragging rights if you can't get it to the ground. If SAI/FRP releases the 18" Alcoas in 9.5 and 10.5 on a timely basis I think they'll sell like snow-cones in August. I think both GT500 owners (for looks and lighter weight) will buy them as well as SS owners for track fun. The 20s do look good tho.

--Dan

I like the 18's on the KR , I prefer them over the available Alcoa super snake style 20 inchers .

If they made a set of these KR 18's with 11" wide rear wheels, I'd buy a set in a heartbeat-- if they were available. Personal preference as far as looks, and 18's will hold up better on our crappy U.S. roads.

My response from SAI yesterday was no 18" Alcoas except for the KR. Very sad, these wheels would sell just as well as the 20"s. You'd think they would know this after the testing on the KR and watching the Super Snake owners putting 18" rear wheels back on for the track. At least Ford knows this and runs 18"x10"s on the FR500's. Form follows Function

Dumb question but that's never stopped me before;

I have seen a few write ups that mention that one of the reasons the KR's handling is such an improvement over the stock GT500 is the softer compound they use in the tires, how much can be attributed to this?

It would be interesting to see what the KR's performance figures changed with a set of SS 20's with the stock SS tires mounted but you would need someone to do a full test on the same car and publish or post their results which I guess is just wishful thinking...

Dumb question but that's never stopped me before;

I have seen a few write ups that mention that one of the reasons the KR's handling is such an improvement over the stock GT500 is the softer compound they use in the tires, how much can be attributed to this?

It would be interesting to see what the KR's performance figures changed with a set of SS 20's with the stock SS tires mounted but you would need someone to do a full test on the same car and publish or post their results which I guess is just wishful thinking...

Archived