TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Charging 2007 Shelby GT

I'm not to sure so I figured I'd ask, is it necessary to "beef up" the stock transmission in the '07 Shelby GT's if adding a super charger or will the stock transmission handle the power?

The stock transmission will handle the extra power, but they are guys on here that will answer this better than me. Im going to move this to the SGT area where you should get more hits.

michael morris

I have an 07 SGTS/C with an stock automatic and 510 H.P. at the crank, and all is well. The manual transmission can handle the S/C too.

Just keep your H.P. down below 515 and you won't have to change a thing except the brakes. Anything above 515 H.P. and you will need to install forged internals into the engine.

I have an 07 SGTS/C with an stock automatic and 510 H.P. at the crank, and all is well. The manual transmission can handle the S/C too.

Just keep your H.P. down below 515 and you won't have to change a thing except the brakes. Anything above 515 H.P. and you will need to install forged internals into the engine.

Which supercharger did you go with?

Which supercharger did you go with?

The Paxton.

I've yet to see a blower that can beat the torque numbers in the low rpm's that the whipple can produce.

Are we dyno racing now?

Put the car on the 1320, let's see what unfolds?

First thing you should look at, is the time/MPH gains after the 1/8 mile marker. This can tell you a lot.

If you want to hear it...

Whipple :slapfight:

Were you still able to have SAI register the S/C even though it wasn't a Paxton?

I'm getting real confused. I was in Vegas last week and spoke with two people from the Shelby plant who told me that the Whipple is the way to go. It's instant on, compared to the Paxton which doesn't spool up until you reach around 2500 rpm. I realize you have the Whipple, and you probably are a little biased at this point, but what convinced you to go with it?

Sorry about all the questions, but before I dump the cash on a S/C, I want to make sure I make the best educated decision. Thanks in advance.

Are we dyno racing now?

Put the car on the 1320, let's see what unfolds?

First thing you should look at, is the time/MPH gains after the 1/8 mile marker. This can tell you a lot.

If you want to hear it...

Please explain.

Please explain.

Because he likes spending money lol. J/K but from what I've heard if you really want to get serious about drag racing, the KB is a little more flexible and you can actually get more HP if you decide to go forged.

The Paxton.

Those are some great numbers you are getting! Did you choose the Paxton because of the history with Shelby or was there another reason?

Because he likes spending money lol. J/K but from what I've heard if you really want to get serious about drag racing, the KB is a little more flexible and you can actually get more HP if you decide to go forged.

I don't think I will ever get too serious about racing the car. I'm more of a light to light type of driver. I can see myself taking it to speed world and honing my skills every once in a while, but that is all.

Thanks for the info.

Those are some great numbers you are getting! Did you choose the Paxton because of the history with Shelby or was there another reason?

History (I wanted the Paxton/Shelby S/N plate), performance, and at the time my car was going through the mod shop, the Paxton came with an intercooler and the Wipple didn't. I also liked the idea that the Paxton sits lower on the engine which contributes to keeping the car's overall center of gravity down.

All of the mentioned Supercharger's are terrific, and some do indeed generate better numbers than others, but I am very, very, happy and pleased with how the Paxton performs, and to a lesser extent, I also like how it looks under the hood too.

th_20070516009.jpg

Were you still able to have SAI register the S/C even though it wasn't a Paxton?

I'm getting real confused. I was in Vegas last week and spoke with two people from the Shelby plant who told me that the Whipple is the way to go. It's instant on, compared to the Paxton which doesn't spool up until you reach around 2500 rpm. I realize you have the Whipple, and you probably are a little biased at this point, but what convinced you to go with it?

Sorry about all the questions, but before I dump the cash on a S/C, I want to make sure I make the best educated decision. Thanks in advance.

I have had both on a 4.6 and hands down for driveability a roots style like the Whipple is the way to go. Ford and I guess everyone now just about have been downsizing the motors for a number of reasons, this gives us light motors that get better mileage but you obviously lose out on torque and hp. Putting on a blower of any type will give these back to some degree, the roots style comes on earlier with no decernable lag what so ever. If you are just adding punch to a big block you may not care so much about the low end, but if you are running a measley 281 inches getting back the low end is much more important. The roots style blower will make your car drive like its got a big block and thats a good thing in my book :) If you look at the myriad manufacturers out there producing supercharged cars now you will be hard pressed to find any of them using a centrifigal design, I think thats telling.

You are able to buy the Whipple through Shelby so it is not an issue with registry or otherwise. The kenne Bell for the 4.6 is no doubt a good blower, wheather it is better or worse then the Whipple is arguable, but when it comes to the installation I don't see any competition at all the Whipple is hands down the better mouse trap. Whipple is coupled with Ford engineering and their blower installs like a factory option, just as you would expect, a clean and well thought out design. If you examine the Kenne Bell for the 4.6 you won't find that, they stuff the intake through the core support (requires cutting) with flex hose and hang the air cleaner out there in the open, I thought it was a horrible design or lack of one and that was a deal breaker for me.

I am some what biased I suppose, but I didn't decide to go with the Whipple blindly and I still feel the reasoning I used was quite valid. Hope thats helpful...

History (I wanted the Paxton/Shelby S/N plate), performance, and at the time my car was going through the mod shop, the Paxton came with an intercooler and the Wipple didn't. I also liked the idea that the Paxton sits lower on the engine which contributes to keeping the car's overall center of gravity down.

All of the mentioned Supercharger's are terrific, and some do indeed generate better numbers than others, but I am very, very, happy and pleased with how the Paxton performs, and to a lesser extent, I also like how it looks under the hood too.

th_20070516009.jpg

Thanks for your help. The Paxton/Shelby history is weighing very heavy on my mind as well. Regardless of which one I choose, I probably will never see the full potential of it's power. I appreciate the time you took in answering my questions.

I have had both on a 4.6 and hands down for driveability a roots style like the Whipple is the way to go. Ford and I guess everyone now just about have been downsizing the motors for a number of reasons, this gives us light motors that get better mileage but you obviously lose out on torque and hp. Putting on a blower of any type will give these back to some degree, the roots style comes on earlier with no decernable lag what so ever. If you are just adding punch to a big block you may not care so much about the low end, but if you are running a measley 281 inches getting back the low end is much more important. The roots style blower will make your car drive like its got a big block and thats a good thing in my book :) If you look at the myriad manufacturers out there producing supercharged cars now you will be hard pressed to find any of them using a centrifigal design, I think thats telling.

You are able to buy the Whipple through Shelby so it is not an issue with registry or otherwise. The kenne Bell for the 4.6 is no doubt a good blower, wheather it is better or worse then the Whipple is arguable, but when it comes to the installation I don't see any competition at all the Whipple is hands down the better mouse trap. Whipple is coupled with Ford engineering and their blower installs like a factory option, just as you would expect, a clean and well thought out design. If you examine the Kenne Bell for the 4.6 you won't find that, they stuff the intake through the core support (requires cutting) with flex hose and hang the air cleaner out there in the open, I thought it was a horrible design or lack of one and that was a deal breaker for me.

I am some what biased I suppose, but I didn't decide to go with the Whipple blindly and I still feel the reasoning I used was quite valid. Hope thats helpful...

Thank you for all the time you took in answering my questions. Great info! You just about mirror what I was told at the Shelby plant in Vegas last week. They have a '07 Shelby GT with a Whipple on it that is blowing away the GT 500's on the track. They don't like to talk about it for obvious reasons, but the techs’ are pretty proud of it. I like the history behind the Paxton and getting the Shelby/Paxton plate. So my dilemma is between performance and Historical purity. I doubt I'll live long enough to see an appreciable increase in value. There again, the chances of me using all that power is also hard to imagine. Oh well, I've got a little time before they open the MOD shop here in Florida. Thanks again for your help.

I would like to go up against a Whipple with my Kenne Bell w/9lb pulley with auto and see what it will do,

tomorrow I am going to our local 1/4 mile for a test and tune night, recieved new tune today and will be interested what it will do with a 6lb boost, right now its around 400 rwhp, we shall see. Rick

Archived