TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New here, please help with some decisions!

Hi everyone, great forum. I have spent the last couple of days reading hundreds of topics, trying to get a feel for the car before it arrives. I had my dealer locate me an 08 Vista blue/white coupe with all options and I ma very excited for the transport truck to arrive.

I have done a lot of searches here, but some have been inconclusive, so bear with me as I'm sure much of this will be redundant, but I couldn't find the EXACT answers i was seeking.

I don't plan to mod the Shelby as much as I have modded my SRT8, but I do plan to play with it a little bit. Here is what I am looking at, and I would appreciate ANY and all feedback that you are willing to give.

• I plan to immediately purchase the Evolution Performance Shelby GT500 Stage 2 - JLT package and get it installed right away. I'm assuming the tuner is pretty straightforward?
  • I very much want to lower the car's stance a little bit, just to reduce the gap between the tires and fenders, and give it a better profile. I also want to have the best suspension on the rear to aid in hooking up as best as I can. Is there a good suspension that I should be looking at that will perform BOTH duties? Will I be able to retain a good, fairly comfortable ride? I have the KW Variant 2 coilovers on my SRT8 and was able to lower where I wanted to, and adjust the ride quality... and have been very happy.
  • Any rear tire recommendations for maximum grip? I live in Minnesota so we have a decent summer, but cold streets dominate our year and I'd like to get as many months as I can out of the car before it is useless. i want a good tire for performance, especially in the warm months... but would also like to be able to get "decent" traction in 35-50 degree weather as well (no, it won't see snow, it'll be garaged).
  • At what engine temp does heat soak become a factor? I'd like to know if I need to perform a fan mod to preserve my horsepower (also... what fan mod would you recommend if needed?)
  • If lowering the car roughly 1.5", what is the largest wheel that would fit without rubbing?
  • Any particular nuances about this car that I should be aware of? Every car has them, I just want to be aware so as to not be caught by total surprise!

Thanks for any advice related to these questions, or any further advice you feel like giving. I am anxiously awaiting delivery and plan to drive the hell out of the thing when it arrives. I buy my cars to drive them, not to preserve them... as most any car enthusiast knows... cars can be a BAD idea of an investment. I'll invest in real estate... and I'll drive my cars!

[*]I plan to immediately purchase the Evolution Performance Shelby GT500 Stage 2 - JLT package and get it installed right away. I'm assuming the tuner is pretty straightforward?

[*]I very much want to lower the car's stance a little bit, just to reduce the gap between the tires and fenders, and give it a better profile. I also want to have the best suspension on the rear to aid in hooking up as best as I can. Is there a good suspension that I should be looking at that will perform BOTH duties? Will I be able to retain a good, fairly comfortable ride? I have the KW Variant 2 coilovers on my SRT8 and was able to lower where I wanted to, and adjust the ride quality... and have been very happy.

[*]Any rear tire recommendations for maximum grip? I live in Minnesota so we have a decent summer, but cold streets dominate our year and I'd like to get as many months as I can out of the car before it is useless. i want a good tire for performance, especially in the warm months... but would also like to be able to get "decent" traction in 35-50 degree weather as well (no, it won't see snow, it'll be garaged).

[*]At what engine temp does heat soak become a factor? I'd like to know if I need to perform a fan mod to preserve my horsepower (also... what fan mod would you recommend if needed?)

[*]If lowering the car roughly 1.5", what is the largest wheel that would fit without rubbing?

[*]Any particular nuances about this car that I should be aware of? Every car has them, I just want to be aware so as to not be caught by total surprise!

I got the Dynamax Supermax 1.88" long tube headers going into 3" high flow cats and Magnaflow exhaust, C&L CAI, and SCT X3 tune, so I can't comment too much on the first. The headers made a notable improvement in low end torque, and the sound is AWESOME!!! Lots of bass bark without obnoxious decibels in the cabin. The CAI is a must for these cars because stock intake is like sipping through a straw.

I put Eibach lowering springs on which closed the wheel gap without a rough ride. My next step is to install an adjustable panhard bar and upper/lower control arms. I run Zenetti Masquerade 20x8.5 and 20x10 with Nitto 555's in 255 and 275 on them respectively. They fill the wheelwell just fine. Whatever you pick make sure they clear the Brembos. I suggest asking a wheel shop to send you a list of what'll fit the car, then look so you don't waste your time looking at wheels that don't fit. Also, you'll need to get new bands for the tire pressure sensor. AmericanMuscle.com is the least expensive that I've found. Also expect to take the car to the dealership to have the tire pressure ssytem reset. I just came from there.

If you're looking for one-stop shopping, just give Fred at Evolution a call and tell him what your're trying to achieve. You'll definately want to ditch the LCAs/UCA and the stage-2 Evo kit is outstanding bang for the buck for street fun and occasional 1/4 miles (but additional heat soak will be a factor). You might also consider an aluminum one-piece DS if planning on tracking it with slicks. It's all a matter of what you're looking for. Wish I had one!! ;-) Good luck with her!

Dan

If you're looking for one-stop shopping, just give Fred at Evolution a call and tell him what your're trying to achieve. You'll definately want to ditch the LCAs/UCA and the stage-2 Evo kit is outstanding bang for the buck for street fun and occasional 1/4 miles (but additional heat soak will be a factor). You might also consider an aluminum one-piece DS if planning on tracking it with slicks. It's all a matter of what you're looking for. Wish I had one!! ;-) Good luck with her!

Dan

Sound advice.

I like Watts Link over an adjustable panhard.

I've found out that pretty much everybody's lowering kit is the Eibach with a different coat of paint. The different vendors package them differently, is all, so for lowering, it's really a matter of picking your vendor. There are custom springs to be had, if you're really picky.

As far as idiosyncracies, I've noticed a pronounced tendency to break loose if you step on the gas. This is most evident when you are trying to pull into fairly busy traffic - crank the wheel and stomp the pedal like you would in the family sedan will result in quite a show. On the plus side, most everybody will clear out of your way!

Also, you will spend a lot of time talking to total strangers about your car, so add 10 or 15 minutes to any errands you do with the car.

Really, though, I think everybody has banged the bottom of the car with the driveshaft the first time they got on it. It sounds like you just broke the car, and it's LOUD. Happens shifting into second. So, turn off the Traction Control if you want to make smoke. Springs, LCAs, UCA, Watts, etc., will all help to prevent that.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So in order to eliminate wheelhop (which I first encountered on my 06 GTO), I should be replacing the upper and lower control arms... I assume stock shocks will suffice?

I will certainly be contacting Evo for some information because I really want to reduce the height of the car, but maintain a quality ride... and get better traction. I hope there is a one-shot cure-all in there for all of this.

I think the Stage 2 kit from Evo is my best bet for right now, perhaps 3 or 4 will be a consideration after a few months of driving it.

I would also appreciate any exhaust advice. I want a deeper, more pronounced rumbling, but not so loud that the S/C whine is drowned out (I like the whine). I have electric cutouts on my Hemi 6.1, and it is great... sounds like a NASCAR, but I think that this would be far too much for the Shelby and what I want to achieve with it. I just want it a LITTLE louder, and more of a deep rumble to it... I hate raspy exhausts on any car.

I am hoping the dealer transfer is complete by Monday so I can pick up my car. I was extremely picky about the colors/options that I wanted, so none were available locally. I had wanted the Performance White with blue stripes the most, but only 2 dealers contacted were willing to do a transfer... one wanted $20k over sticker (guess he thinks it is still 2007), and the other wanted $3k over sticker. I fell back to my number 2 choice in colors with the Vista Blue/white stripes because the willing dealer offered it at sticker.

I don't yet know which car I will be trading off, my GTO (LS2, 6 speed, mostly stock) or my SRT8 Magnum (heavily modified and loaded with all options), but I think it will be the Goat that goes. I have spent a lot of time and money "perfecting" my vision for the SRT8 and I do love it. Insane power, but comfortable enough for long road trips. And to this day the ONLY race ever lost in that car was to a....... you guessed it.... Shelby GT500!! That was the day I decided I had to own one. From a dig I can take one, but from a rolling start... the Shelby slaughters my poor fat SRT8 :(

Here are my babies:

dsc9642vs2.jpg

dsc7441pf5.jpg

dsc7941fo3.jpg

The large long tube headers, (1 7/8" instead of 1 3/4"), going into 3", (instead of 2.5"), high flow cats and Magnaflow exhaust really give the GT500 a great bass rumble, but it certainly doesn't drown-out the whine of the supercharger.

All I have to say is you will love your Evo stage 2 kit......install asap! I was a long time Mopar man, you will not regret the GT500. I would comment on the other mods but everyone is a little different in what they want.

Right next door...

We also love our SRT8...we have the 300c - awesome ride as well.

Just got my vista/white two weeks ago now...

Went with just the JLT CAI and X3 tune, with SLP loudmouths.

I had previous experience with the SLPs on my 2005GT and loved them then, and still love them now.

Trade the goat ;)

Geno

Right next door...

We also love our SRT8...we have the 300c - awesome ride as well.

Just got my vista/white two weeks ago now...

Went with just the JLT CAI and X3 tune, with SLP loudmouths.

I had previous experience with the SLPs on my 2005GT and loved them then, and still love them now.

Trade the goat ;)

Geno

If you ever head this way, LMK.

I got some exciting news yesterday... my dealer got a different dealer to cave in on my initial request, so now I'm getting the color combo I wanted above all others... Performance White with blue stripes!!!

It arrives on Tuesday. I cannot wait.

If you ever head this way, LMK.

I got some exciting news yesterday... my dealer got a different dealer to cave in on my initial request, so now I'm getting the color combo I wanted above all others... Performance White with blue stripes!!!

It arrives on Tuesday. I cannot wait.

Gongrats on getting the color you wanted. That's great news. That was my #2 choice, but since I have a White GT/CS in the garage too, I decided on the Grabber Orange.

Your going to love the car.

Archived