TEAM SHELBY FORUM

mileage figures

nisswadog

I have a 2005 Mustang GT convertible and have an order in for the GT 500 and waiting for it to be filled. This weekend I had the good fortune of riding in and driving my first GT 500 coupe. It was with some concern that I noted it was getting only 5 mpg. I'm hoping that was due to the break-in period. It only has 100 miles on it so far. But it made me wonder what real time driving gets those who already have their cars. I typically run 20 mpg in my current drive and was figuring the GT 500 would be more in the range of 14-16 mpg. What is everyone's experience?

I have a 2005 Mustang GT convertible and have an order in for the GT 500 and waiting for it to be filled. This weekend I had the good fortune of riding in and driving my first GT 500 coupe. It was with some concern that I noted it was getting only 5 mpg. I'm hoping that was due to the break-in period. It only has 100 miles on it so far. But it made me wonder what real time driving gets those who already have their cars. I typically run 20 mpg in my current drive and was figuring the GT 500 would be more in the range of 14-16 mpg. What is everyone's experience?

After the First tankfull, first sucked, I was getting a little better than 19 combined City and Hwy driving. I admit I tried not step into it while checking it out. On the third tank, back to 11, couldn't stand it anymore, I stepped in it alot :cheerleader:

21.5 on the highway at steady 70mph. As little as 12 with my foot in it.

:shift:

bj

I seem to be doing pretty well. I drive 19 miles to work with most being a constant 55-60 and 5 traffic signals. Onboard computer has settled at 23.4mpg. On the highway at 65-70 it drops to about 21, and around town seems to pull around 16.5-17. Seems about the same as my '04 Terminator did.

What is Chevy doing with the C6 engine then?

Don't they get around 27 on the highway?

I'd guess:

- different rear end gears

- different tranny gears

- non-SC'd engine (the "whirr" sound you hear isn't the air flow, it's you actually hearing the gas being sucked into the cylinders by the pint!)

- C6 is much lighter

I'd guess:

- different rear end gears

- different tranny gears

- non-SC'd engine (the "whirr" sound you hear isn't the air flow, it's you actually hearing the gas being sucked into the cylinders by the pint!)

- C6 is much lighter

My 2003 C5 got 24-25 on the highway. It had the "performance axle ratio" of a blazing 3.23. Something in the high 2's was standard. Keep in mind....less power a a lot less weight. Wasn't as much fun to drive at the Shelby though.

bj

What is Chevy doing with the C6 engine then?

Don't they get around 27 on the highway?

Most of what they're doiong, I think, is 3150lbs!

My '01 Cobra got 26+ on the highway at 70-75 cruise. Many get 30 witht he GT under similar driving .

I think a fully broken-in GT500 lolling along at 75 in 6th ought to get 23-24mpg (if anyone can resist poking it long enough to get a piece of a tank thru <lol>)

The first tank was bad. We were driving at 70 on a stretch of flat straight highway and it started at 8.3 mpg. Every couple of miles it would go up a tenth. By the time we had about 100 miles, it was reading 12.3 mpg. I think something was not cleared in the computer because the next day (and tank of gas later) it started at 15 mpg and was pretty steady at 20.7 on the highway (at 70 mph). I have noticed from 15 through 20 mpg in "normal" everyday driving (including short stints up to 130 mph). By the way very smooth and no wind noise at high speeds.

Is there some trick to filling the gas tank without spewing gasoline on your shoes?

The first tank was bad. We were driving at 70 on a stretch of flat straight highway and it started at 8.3 mpg. Every couple of miles it would go up a tenth. By the time we had about 100 miles, it was reading 12.3 mpg. I think something was not cleared in the computer because the next day (and tank of gas later) it started at 15 mpg and was pretty steady at 20.7 on the highway (at 70 mph). I have noticed from 15 through 20 mpg in "normal" everyday driving (including short stints up to 130 mph). By the way very smooth and no wind noise at high speeds.

Is there some trick to filling the gas tank without spewing gasoline on your shoes?

Yeah, use better gas or go barefoot.

Seriously, I haven't had the problem.

bj

I wouldn't want to take the chance, maybe a full Haz-Mat Team clean up would make them a little safer. You gotta remember who you are dealing with. I saw the the thong picture :censored:

:hysterical:

...and exactly where did that pic come from? :o

Archived