TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I just don't understand some people!

Wife and I had to drive from Odessa, TX to Lubbock, TX yesterday so she could drop off some film to have slides made for her Art Class at the High School where she teaches. We're driving along, speed limit is 70, I'm cruising about 78 or so, and I pass this Big Honking Ford F350 Diesel truck. All of a sudden, here he comes flying up behind me, and passes me like he's going to a fire...Had to slow down for a rinky dink little town's reduced speed limit, but on the other side of the town, he's balls to the wall again...at this point, he's running about 95 MPH...so I pull up beside him, and he romps on it like he thinks he's gonna out run my Shelby GT. So I drop one gear to 4th, stomp the Shelby and it's Bye Bye, see ya way down the road...The guy was honestly trying to keep up with me! I'm doing about 135 when I let out of the gas, and he decides he's had enough of a butt whippin I guess, because he turned off on a side road...My wife looked at me and said "What was he thinking?" This seems to be a very common occurrence out here in West Texas...There are soooooo many of these LARGE oversized trucks out here that these guys think they can whip anything on the road...I have seen a couple of them that have added the Bully Dog computer upgrade, and YES, they can smoke the rear tires of their Dually and run very well, but they still won't out run a Mustang on a long open road run or in the corners even...Just makes me shake my head in wonder sometimes....

BTW, Why can't I get emoticons to work any more??? I click on the icon above to select one, and I get a big NOTHING! No popup blockers enabled or anything, just NOTHING! Been like this since the recent site update...

yea i had a toyota tundra tailgating me...i would get up to 110 and pull away, but i only had 300 miles on the odometer at the time so i didnt want get over 3500 rpm. i'd drop it back to 100 or so and let him catch up.

anyway i teased him for a bit then let him go by and stayed on his a$$ till we got to end of the turn pike.

yea i had a toyota tundra tailgating me...i would get up to 110 and pull away, but i only had 300 miles on the odometer at the time so i didnt want get over 3500 rpm. i'd drop it back to 100 or so and let him catch up.

anyway i teased him for a bit then let him go by and stayed on his a$$ till we got to end of the turn pike.

I never pay any attention to the tach...I've driven my SGT like it was stolen since the first day...I always heard to break them in like you want them to run...just don't set it on cruise for LONG distance and keep it there during the frist 500 miles or so and you're good...

I do LOVE my SGT though...one of these days she'll get a Wipple Super Charger, and it's gonna be GREAT!!!

I never pay any attention to the tach...I've driven my SGT like it was stolen since the first day...I always heard to break them in like you want them to run...just don't set it on cruise for LONG distance and keep it there during the frist 500 miles or so and you're good...

I do LOVE my SGT though...one of these days she'll get a Wipple Super Charger, and it's gonna be GREAT!!!

no, i always varried my speed. i just didnt want to push it till the seals were well seated. i drive it like a maniac now. i already have 4k miles on it.

I am from west Texas, but I live in southern California. Here in SoCal we have 2 extreems A) rice burner "tuner" cars, B) unbeleivably huge SUVs and Trucks. Both groups think they own the road. Sometimes I look in my rearview and all I can see is shocks struts, and the bottom edge of the grill (really that close). Or, I look back and only see the top half of a mitsubishi.

Its not enough to yield to the right, that only seems to piss them off (socal drivers think the passing lane is to the right). Turn signals are a challenge, and everyone is indestructable within thier cars.

God help us all if it rains!

So, not a day goes by in my daily comute to and from NAB Coronado (about 10 miles) that I dont have 1, 2, 3 etc.. close calls with these morons. Driving a car like my SGT seems to provoke these people even more. On the open highway outside town I am more than willing to hand them thier a$$. In town I am not so reckless, honestly!

What are they thinking? who can fathom the mind of an idiot....

Wife and I had to drive from Odessa, TX to Lubbock, TX yesterday so she could drop off some film to have slides made for her Art Class at the High School where she teaches. We're driving along, speed limit is 70, I'm cruising about 78 or so, and I pass this Big Honking Ford F350 Diesel truck. All of a sudden, here he comes flying up behind me, and passes me like he's going to a fire...Had to slow down for a rinky dink little town's reduced speed limit, but on the other side of the town, he's balls to the wall again...at this point, he's running about 95 MPH...so I pull up beside him, and he romps on it like he thinks he's gonna out run my Shelby GT. So I drop one gear to 4th, stomp the Shelby and it's Bye Bye, see ya way down the road...The guy was honestly trying to keep up with me! I'm doing about 135 when I let out of the gas, and he decides he's had enough of a butt whippin I guess, because he turned off on a side road...My wife looked at me and said "What was he thinking?" This seems to be a very common occurrence out here in West Texas...There are soooooo many of these LARGE oversized trucks out here that these guys think they can whip anything on the road...I have seen a couple of them that have added the Bully Dog computer upgrade, and YES, they can smoke the rear tires of their Dually and run very well, but they still won't out run a Mustang on a long open road run or in the corners even...Just makes me shake my head in wonder sometimes....

I am from west Texas, but I live in southern California. Here in SoCal we have 2 extreems A) rice burner "tuner" cars, B) unbeleivably huge SUVs and Trucks. Both groups think they own the road. Sometimes I look in my rearview and all I can see is shocks struts, and the bottom edge of the grill (really that close). Or, I look back and only see the top half of a mitsubishi.

Its not enough to yield to the right, that only seems to piss them off (socal drivers think the passing lane is to the right). Turn signals are a challenge, and everyone is indestructable within thier cars.

God help us all if it rains!

So, not a day goes by in my daily comute to and from NAB Coronado (about 10 miles) that I dont have 1, 2, 3 etc.. close calls with these morons. Driving a car like my SGT seems to provoke these people even more. On the open highway outside town I am more than willing to hand them thier a$$. In town I am not so reckless, honestly!

What are they thinking? who can fathom the mind of an idiot....

Simple answer...Penis envy.

Meh. Don't get worked up about it. Yes there are some that think since they bought the (insert vehicle here) and are making $1000 payments a month, it's the baddest thing out there and can take anyone. I've had that happen a time or two. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chevrolet Silverado do the exact same thing at the exact same time. They knew they couldn't hang but just wanted to play. The Silverado dropped out at 95 (speed limiter?) and the Cherokee, well I thought he blew up his engine or something because he was a spec in the rearview. I slowed down and let him catch me. He pulled up beside me grinning ear to ear, shrugged his shoulders and took the next exit. The latest was a little neon or something with a fart-can muffler. With gas at $3.60 a gallon I didn't waste my time.

Your Ford guy was just playing and come on, you can admit your head swelled up a little. :D

I just let those kid of numbskulls pass me. They're so stupid theres no telling what they might do.

These people have no idea what you are driving... they'd treat you the same if you were driving a dump truck. They are in their own little world. I know what I'm driving and I don't have to prove anything to anyone. My technique is to slow down by about 20 mph. They usually get the message and go bother someone else. I'm not so important that I can't spare 30 seconds to let someone get down the road. I've even pulled off to the side of the road to let them get away from me. My mantra is "go ahead... I'll probably never see you again."

Don't get me wrong, I love driving my cars fast, but I have little tolerance for folks who want to street race, and I made up my mind years ago that I would just refuse to play with those who want to.

Your Ford guy was just playing and come on, you can admit your head swelled up a little. :D

Yeah, you're right...it did swell up some....LOL Oh well, I just enjoy airing the SGT out from time to time anyway...would love to find out what actual top end speed is on her, but will probably never get to find out for sure...

Take Care All, you're right, there are a lot of idiots out there!!!

I've got one of those trucks :happy feet: Although I left mine stock appearing. It has the Bully Dog, Cold air(?) intake, exhaust.... And yes it will smoke the tires like crazy, with clouds of black smoke out of the exhaust.

But, for all that, it still won't go faster than the governor, set at 115mph. And if I take a corner a little fast, it feels like I'm gonna roll over.

Those big trucks, jacked way up with the oversize tires and all that do the same thing wether I'm in my truck or my SGT. I think they just try to intimidate everyone.

And the tuner cars are worse!!!

Yeah, you're right...it did swell up some....LOL Oh well, I just enjoy airing the SGT out from time to time anyway...would love to find out what actual top end speed is on her, but will probably never get to find out for sure...

Take Care All, you're right, there are a lot of idiots out there!!!

Limiter was said to be at 156. Revs are suposed to be limited at 6250 mine is not or the tach is off.

Racing idiots...bad idea, be careful.

Limiter was said to be at 156. Revs are suposed to be limited at 6250 mine is not or the tach is off.

Racing idiots...bad idea, be careful.

Better to be self disciplined, even if it means taking the next exit and getting back on. If you do speed up they will only catch back up to you when you slow down. McCoy said it best, "racing idiots..bad idea, be careful." We have much more to lose than they do.

Who cares about the idiots,trying to impress us with their jacked up trucks or whatever..

I have had my share of Vettes etc over the years..usually i will just ignore the rice crowd and stay out of the way of so called" fast trucks''..The only truck our Shelby Gt will not walk away and hide from is the Ram SRT-10 with the 500hp Viper motor..I know i had one...but the lousy gas mileage is the only reason i sold it..especially with the current gas prices on the West Coast with premium 91,over $4.00 a gallon

Sorry forgot about the Ford Lighting's..also fast trucks..not sure what the top speed is!!!

My brother-in-law is one of these numbskulls. He's got an F250 power stroke diesel with oversized tires, a lift kit, computer chip and thinks it's the next holder of the land speed record at Bonneville. Oddly enough, he doesn't seem to be interested in a heads up for pink slips though!

Who cares about the idiots,trying to impress us with their jacked up trucks or whatever..

I have had my share of Vettes etc over the years..usually i will just ignore the rice crowd and stay out of the way of so called" fast trucks''..The only truck our Shelby Gt will not walk away and hide from is the Ram SRT-10 with the 500hp Viper motor..I know i had one...but the lousy gas mileage is the only reason i sold it..especially with the current gas prices on the West Coast with premium 91,over $4.00 a gallon

Sorry forgot about the Ford Lighting's..also fast trucks..not sure what the top speed is!!!

My buddy has an 03 Dodge 2500 with a K&N drop-in filter, something done to or removed from the turbo and a Bully Dog programmer - probably less than $400 in mods total. That dang thing is scary fast. It will push you into the seat at 70 pulling a 16' trailer and unloaded still get 27mpg on the highway (he just took a road trip to Vegas from Texas).

Makes me sick sometimes......

I had an effing Honda Odyssey try to cut me off. Really, Mr. Macho, I don't think that's going to happen today.

A Taurus likewise tried to cut me off where the left lane I was in ended in 2000'. He was going 65 until I passed him. I didn't know it was a race, and he followed me (I was in 6th) to over 100mph. I downshifted dropped back, saluted him, and that's the last he saw of anything except blue stripes disappearing over the hill in front of him.

Most of the time I just let the asswads go right on by, but once in a while I just gotta hit back.

The pick-em-up trucks just flat scare me. Their center of gravity is about a foot higher than my head, and they're driving on big squishy wheels. The drivers are not just ignorant, they're plain stupid. I'll just stay behind them. I've had one or two that run me down, and then slow down to let me catch up when I let them pass. I still still stay back. If I go, I know they're going to try and keep up, and I don't want to be involved in any way with their death, or the death of anybody they take with them.

The pick-em-up trucks just flat scare me. Their center of gravity is about a foot higher than my head, and they're driving on big squishy wheels. The drivers are not just ignorant, they're plain stupid. I'll just stay behind them. I've had one or two that run me down, and then slow down to let me catch up when I let them pass. I still still stay back. If I go, I know they're going to try and keep up, and I don't want to be involved in any way with their death, or the death of anybody they take with them.

Point well made, but you forgot to mention that, while they may spend thousands on their lift kits, bigger wheels and tires, and computer upgrades, they don't care squat about upgrading the brakes to slow down all that extra rolling mass. I'll either (1)let them pass and ride someone else's rear, or (2)make sure that they are far enough behind me that they can't do me harm. The latter is more fun, but the former happens more frequently.

I think some of you guys are missing what's really going on here. Mainly people who screw around with you in a car that's obviously not in the same class just want to hear your car. I had people run up hard next to me and roll down the window just to hear it.

I remember when the S-197's 1st came out. I was at a stop light and a black '05 Mustang GT rolled up along side of me. I rev'd my engine and chirped the tires in order to entice the guy. Sure enough, he went sideways and smoked through the gears when the light turned green. I just sat there with the windows rolled down enjoying the show with a big grin on my face. I did the same to some dude in a yellow 'Vette. He certainly showed me in my truck but i got the best view...seeing him fishtail and smoking through the gears.

Sometimes i'll reward a person in a car/truck when the conditions are right and i know he just wants to appreciate my car.

I think some of you guys are missing what's really going on here. Mainly people who screw around with you in a car that's obviously not in the same class just want to hear your car. I had people run up hard next to me and roll down the window just to hear it.

I remember when the S-197's 1st came out. I was at a stop light and a black '05 Mustang GT rolled up along side of me. I rev'd my engine and chirped the tires in order to entice the guy. Sure enough, he went sideways and smoked through the gears when the light turned green. I just sat there with the windows rolled down enjoying the show with a big grin on my face. I did the same to some dude in a yellow 'Vette. He certainly showed me in my truck but i got the best view...seeing him fishtail and smoking through the gears.

Sometimes i'll reward a person in a car/truck when the conditions are right and i know he just wants to appreciate my car.

+1

Archived