TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Production of GT500 past 09???

Morning,

This question may have already been asked, however, to anyone's knowledge, is Ford going to be producing the Shelby GT500 past 2009? I know the SGT's production does not go past 08's; just curious... :shift:

Morning,

This question may have already been asked, however, to anyone's knowledge, is Ford going to be producing the Shelby GT500 past 2009? I know the SGT's production does not go past 08's; just curious... :shift:

I dont think ANYONE knows this one. Ford has changed thier minds a few times on the GT500. Us Ford dealers dont know much about the 09 allocation, so I doubt anyone knows anything about '10.

michael morris

The anwser to this question will become clearer if we start to see spy photos of a 2010 Mustang that has a different or unusal front end on it than a stock 2010 stang does (the Car & Driver photo). That's because any Shelby that does come out beyond 2009 will follow the 2007-2009 Shelby styling cues by having a different looking front end than a stock Mustang GT does.

We should also keep an eye out for any spy photos of a 2010 Mustang that has a set of Brenbo's on it. They can't cover the wheels up, so seeing a photo of a 2010 mustang with Brembo's would be a BIG tip off of what's to come.

But having said all that, my OPINION is that due to current global fuel issues as well as the upcoming powerplant changes / shake up at FoMoCo, we won't see a GT500 beyond 2009. The other issue that factor's into this opinion is that SVT; Ford Performance Group, or whatever they are now called, has a new man at the helm and he aparantly has his own idea's and opinions about which direction Ford performance vehicles should be heading in. Is this bad for Shelby? I'm not saying that at all, but it's undenialable that his opinions and ideas will be a major factor for all performance vehicles that will come out of FoMoCo in the future.

I sure wish that John Coletti didn't retire, because SVT did great when he was at the helm.

You said the magic work, E -- Coletti! ...a mustang must now descend from the ceiling ;-)

He sure had a knack for making a statement: 1994 600HP NA 10.0L Boss Cobra -- 0-60 1.9s yee-hah!! :)

post-4902-1209840322.jpg post-4902-1209840344.jpg post-4902-1209840379.jpg

Amy's statement that the GT500 contract runs well into the refreshed body change notwithstanding, I think we may see a temporary reprive in '10 -- possibly Ford will save the marque for the next major notch-up and not want to step on the toes of a NA/TT BOSS, but I think more GT500s/KRs in the future are likely (how about when the H/Boss gets an alloy block and DOHC DI/VVT heads :hyper: ) it's so hard to resist from a marketing p.o.v. ...hopefully that isn't quite as 'glacial' as was getting the 4V-mod from the Lincoln to the Mustang :doh::hysterical:

;-) Dan

<edit:> Robert has been falling down on the spy-cam job lately -- too busy, I guess! ;-)

post-4902-1209840322.jpg

post-4902-1209840344.jpg

post-4902-1209840379.jpg

You said the magic work, E -- Coletti! ...a mustang must now descend from the ceiling ;-)

He sure had a knack for making a statement: 1994 600HP NA 10.0L Boss Cobra -- 0-60 1.9s yee-hah!! :)

1994__Boss_600cid_10Liter_DOHC_Mustang_855HP_790ftlb_1_60_1.9sec.jpg 1994__Boss_600cid_10Liter_DOHC_Mustang.jpg 1994__Boss_600cid_10Liter_DOHC_Mustang_855HP_790ft_lb_0_60_3.9sec.jpg

Amy's statement that the GT500 contract runs well into the refreshed body change notwithstanding, I think we may see a temporary reprive in '10 -- possibly Ford will save the marque for the next major notch-up and not want to step on the toes of a NA/TT BOSS, but I think more GT500s/KRs in the future are likely (how about when the H/Boss gets an alloy block and DOHC DI/VVT heads :hyper: ) it's so hard to resist from a marketing p.o.v. ...hopefully that isn't quite as 'glacial' as was getting the 4V-mod from the Lincoln to the Mustang :doh::hysterical:

;-) Dan

<edit:> Robert has been falling down on the spy-cam job lately -- too busy, I guess! ;-)

I think Robert is spying on the K.Rs

I don't recall, SD. :shrug:

Here it is:

"Guys, there is an 09 Shelby gt500, Carroll has a long term contract with Ford, there will be shelby's with Ford, there will be a gt350 some day as well"

Amy

There will be Shelbys, but other than a GT350 in the future, who knows what else?

Here it is:

"Guys, there is an 09 Shelby gt500, Carroll has a long term contract with Ford, there will be shelby's with Ford, there will be a gt350 some day as well"

Amy

There will be Shelbys, but other than a GT350 in the future, who knows what else?

And another one ShelbyDude: Posted on Oct 10th.. More specific to the GT500... Hope this helps

guys, Carroll Contract for Gt-500 is very long term, well into the next body style.

Amy

...sounds like it could continue, then ...depending on the interpretation. I think the original quote (BigSlick's) was in the context of questions to Amy on the GT500 (but doesn't mean there *will* be more). Shelby Dude's quote may have been in response to a prior discussion of of original quote. Either would seem to leave the door open for more, but whether/when/if Ford and Shelby do is a marketing question, I suspect

From the USPTO database....

There are three live GT-500 registered marks [®]: one has nothing to do with cars. One was filed, published-for-opposition and registered by Carroll Shelby (individual) during 1988 then assigned to Carroll Shelby Trust in 1999. The third, owned by Carroll Shelby Trust, was applied in 2002, published-for-opposition in 2004 and sucessfully registered in August 2006. Now get this... *none* are for automotive use categories -- both Shelby marks are for model kit cars :shrug: ...go figure.

Carroll Hall Shelby Trust also owns CS6, Shelby GT-H, GT-350, GT-500E, GT650 (2006), and Supersnake ...all in many automotive and non-automotive contexts.

No one has registered GT500KR -- with or without punctuation, in any context. :shrug:

Maybe a use mark [] is deemed adequate for GT500KR since KR by itself may have no competing automotive context -- dunno. So maybe well see a GT650KR! :shrug:

The quote I posted was in response to whether there would be a 09 GT500 or not.

Right, but wasn't that in the context of Amy clarifying a lengthy discussion here on SU of her original (earlier) quote on the Shelby Forums?

I guess no matter either way -- both sets of words seem to leave the door open but not commit either way.

• 1 month later...

interesting 2010MY?

Fans of Shelby-outfitted Mustangs will still be able to have high horsepower fun in the future as well. Ford has been spotted testing supercharged V-8 engines for Shelby-specific applications and as long as contractual agreements are hashed out, it has been confirmed there will be a GT500 version of the upcoming Mustang. Likely to follow are Shelby GT, GT-H and Super Snake models.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6253917/auto-new...ture/index.html

One of SVT's main goals was to keep it's products exclusive. I hope SHELBY has this same goal.If greed gets in the way you might as well buy a Corvette .

It's still Ford/SVT that are engineering these cars for retail offereings though SAI is is performing the post-line upfits on some (SGT/H, KR). I suspect it's the post-retail offerings that SAI has more control over (CS6, CS8, SS) but the pieces are still largely Ford/SVT and FRP engineered (with some minor exceptions).

My guess is there will be more GT500s and maybe even a pure Ford-play King Cobra. I say this because I recall that Ford has reapplied to USPTO for the King Cobra mark :spiteful: ...hopefully without giant vinyl on the hood :hysterical: Who knows?

That MT article was June'07 and I think they still have a lot right. I've read more recent articles that say the 4.6 stays in '10MY still at 300HP, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless Ford does the BOSS 5.0 very early (unlikely at job-1, imo) as a fairly high-volume (affordable?) run. If so, then I think it may make sense to delay a new GT500 untill after the BOSS (still in '10MY) or skip it into '11MY kicked-up a tad. For example, the GT500 could get the KR CAI and tune at some point and maybe a couple FRP handing pieces at that point ...maybe when/if the KR gets the TVS -- something that made sense from KR day-1 to my mind even tho I understand the value of 'staging' such games and using the KR to sink some development cost along the way... good businees sense, imo.

I think we'll be seeing more GT500s *and* KRs after the BOSS -- but who knows? ;-) I would like to see the BOSS use the new DOHC GDI/VVT heads that have been rumored to be in development for some time. A relatively high volume (affordable) BOSS 5.0 curve carver with milage than the present GT and 400-425 NA HP would be a *huge* hit, imo.

A twin turbo GDI/VVT 5.0 version (also rumored to be in development for some time and rumored to have been shown to insiders already) would also be very cool and may actually be how the BOSS gets shipped (according to rumor, that is) ...at some point.

I think Ford has a *lot* of mustang options on the table right now and what we actually see is likely still a bit fluid, but J1 for the '10MY is likely well les than a year away (early-launch), so the core plan has to be solid, imo, but specific engine options/staging may still be responsive to positioning/competition.

Ford really is doing an excellent job, imo, of keeping the leaks plugged -- drives us nuts but it's the right thing to do given the coming competitive landscape changes. However, the other side of that coin is that it better be good stuff when news breaks. Mustang audience is rather unique and Ford has stated repeatedly they will not give away performance leadership this time around -- we shall see.

Dan

dan,

You left one out.... the "Eco-Boost" motors. The Eco-boost motors are Better & a V6 engine is more in line with the 250-260hp range of the Camaro and Challenger coming out soon. That upgrade could leave an opening for a high-efficiency four-cylinder base engine. Ford has reported they have a new Eco-Boost turbocharged 2.0 4-cylnder that can produce up to 275 hp. While that might be a bit on the premium side, a new naturally aspirated DOHC 2.5 liter four that robustly produces 171 hp has been introduced in the Ford Escape. This engine could be more than adequate for a base Mustang. With the weight savings and the right combination of transmission and gearing, performance could easily be on par with the current V6 Mustang. If if they put that Ecoboost V6 in the Mustang with upto 350HP that would allow the 4.6L to be punched out to a 5.0L & still use the same production line to make them & get to 350 to 400HP on a NA motor. This way they could make both a BOSS 302 special edition & a Shelby GT350 with the same power plant & small changes in the tune/suspension/wheels/tires/hood & front facia to differentiate btw. the two cars.

I forgot another hthat just came out used on the new Lincoln MKS.... a new six-speed SelectShift® automatic transmission and a Lincoln-exclusive 3.7-liter V-6 engine with 273 horsepower and 270 lb.-ft. of torque on non-premium fuel. Just tweak this motor a little & you get 300 HP, Put the Eco-Boost Twin Turbos on it & you got a screamer with 400+HP & good fuel economy

Yeah, I was avoiding using the words EcoBoost and Mustang in the same sentence since I think the BOSS 5.0 may be an 'EcoBoost' 5.0TT (though I'd prefer to see just *one* nice NA Boss curve-carver first ...and then FoMoCo can EcoBoost whatever they like <lol>). That 275HP DOHC I-4 T sure would make a nice SVT opt for a serious Focus too.

I've heard some confirming words (to the rumors in the mags) that Ford is truly wrestling with offering both an NA V8 and the EcoBoost 3.7 V6 for the GT -- both +/- 340-365HP. As of April I heard a decision had not been made to do one or the other exclusively ...or both, either. Ideally, both lets the customer choose and renders the merit of the marketing decision explicit, but carries more expense in tooling, logistics, etc., but the 4.6 development expense is fully sunk by now, so why not? Still, my bias it that it makes sense for one year to overlap both -- the only way to really separate customer preference sometimes since surveys are notoriously bad predicting future satisfaction for previously unavailable or technologically unfamiliar choices (V6TTEco vs 4.6NA). The downside to doing both is that if the NA V8 demand is significantly higher, CAFE needs may force that it get pulled going forward anyway and that might pi$$ off some folks more than offering only the V6TT (even if it's excellent, lack of a comparable-cost V8 choice may torque many, imo).

Still, I think a V6TT GT that slams the SRT8 Chally to the mat would sell and be accepted. This is a performance segment and a 3.7 V6TT (GDI/VVT) could get at least 20% better milage than the present 4.6 and be 150-180'bs lighter (3,350 lbs?) overall. Even at 350-375HP and at 3330-3350lbs and with the improved weight distribution of the 3.7 V6, it would eat the present SRT8 pig alive (not that the Chally isn't a nice car and "better" than a GT500 :hysterical: )! That effectively dismisses the Chally in its present form as a serious contender and could do it with a major price advantage too ($5K+?), and also preserves the real high-performance ground for GT500/follow-on after the BOSS, i.e. Camaro SS/Zx-whatever round-up.

Rodney, I totally agree that the BOSS and GT350 will be borne of the same DNA. I can't help but wonder if the Terlingua event won't be used to 'showcase' or preview something very special this fall :spiteful: ...dunno.

Dan

The Camaro SS you mention is getting the 505HP LS7 Z06 motor and is to be be avail. about 3 months after the other Camaros are released. Ford will need to stay on their game with the GT500 level Stangs.

Eactly, that's what I've heard too ...and the Camaro won't be quite as porky as the Challenger but still more than a comparable 'stang, I've heard. The GT500 should be a good match for the Camaro-SS but I think the Camaro will have a bit better weight distribution ...and IRS. Porting the KR CAI and tune to the base GT500 should take car of that :spiteful: Will be interesting times for sure :)

Ford has some interesting decisions... a 475HP BOSS5.0TT at 3650lbs or so should be a good match for the 505HP Camaro SS at close to 4000lbs if Ford goes that way. If the Boss is NA/400-425, then a factory-tweaked GT500 is the Camaro-SS bait, I think. The Camaro-SS has more upside mod potential given 7.0L vs 5.4, but dollar-for-dollar I think the GT500 or BOSS-TT has a strong hand.

What do you think ...am I reading this comparo realistically?

Dan

<edit:> sp.

I read yesterday that GM is closing some SUV plants and possibly dropping Hummer. Hopefully this will make it easier for them to keep the performance cars around for a few more years.

From what happened so far ...FORD will :beatdeadhorse: the fu@% out of GT500.

I think you're right ... I think we'll see more GT500s

--

Ilmore, good ppint ...dumping Hummer would create some breathing room in their CAFE nums ..until 2012/next plateau.

--

As GDI and VVT start making it to the hi-po end there's potential to see super potent cars with excellent cruising milage that will test well on EPA. That seems to be a light in the tunnel in all this ...I hope.

What would the rating for Z06 would be if camaro SS in 500+hp or it will be dropped period for ZR1...if so what the rating for vette period other than the limited ZR1?

Well GM knows the Ford S/C strategy is superior for aftermarket action via easy bolt-on HP and I've predicted since the Camaro was announced that they will go that route ...but have heard nothing specific -- until today. According to July'08 R&T pg-17, '10MY Camaro SS (spring '09 launch) will get the NA 6.2L LS3 @ 400-405HP but the following '11 model year will bring a ZR1-like LS9 Z28 Camaro ...S/C'd (TVS) at 480-500HP -- a bit detuned from the Caddy CTS-V -- according to R&T.

The ZR1 vette uses the 2.3TVS (638 HP) and Caddy uses the 1.9TVS (550 HP). An intercooled S/C'd Z28 Camaro will likely be in the vicinity of 4200lbs, like the Caddy, or a bit less. Also Camaro will offer two V6s according to R&T -- a pushrod 220HP 3.5 and the GDI 300+HP DOHC V6. Reportedly, all will have IRS.

So the '10MY Camaro sounds like it:

220HP pushrod 2V V6 (may become the Cobalt I-4 instead)

300+HP DOHC 4V V6

400HP 6.2 SS

500HP 6.2 S/C's Z28

Mustang's '10MY offerings according to one ragmag are unchanged (not!).

I think we'll see something more like this for the '10/'11MY mustang:

-existing V6 (initially) then 3.5 V6 in '11/'12MY

-3.7TT (EcoBoost) at +/-350HP when 5.0 replaces 4.6 ('11MY)

-4.6 GT at 325HP (Bullit-tune and variable octane programming), then 5.0 at 350HP (overlapped 1 year with 3.7V6TT?)

-BOSS 5.0TT at 475-485 if TT (if no '10 GT500), else BOSS 5.0NA at 400-425HP, either may get new GDI/VVT heads)

-if GT500: 540HP (w/CAI and KR tune) when Z28 arrives (2Q10 as '11MY?)

I would like to see TVS-2.3 make it to some GT500 incarnation -- it's a jewel, imo (apparently GM knows this <lol>), but I suspect Ford will not one-up the KR brand and keep selling the TVS as a bolt-on thru FRPP.

Just my take...

My father works for GM and is about to retire.The word is that they are closing 3-4 SUV plants and really tightening up on in plant maint.He says they are going to be farming it out rather than employing specific people to do the jobs.He also said this type of thing started some time ago when they sarted leasing rather than purchasing equipment.I for one am hoping that the current musclecar resurgence never ends.Hopefully they will keep at least one or two V8's in the stable as a sixxer no matter what you do cannot make that sweet sound.Maybe I like the V8 am a dinosaur at my tender age of 37.I cannot get the sound of a cammed V8 out of my system!Better than a womans sqeel.

Well GM knows the Ford S/C strategy is superior for aftermarket action via easy bolt-on HP and I've predicted since the Camaro was announced that they will go that route ...but have heard nothing specific -- until today. According to July'08 R&T pg-17, '10MY Camaro SS (spring '09 launch) will get the NA 6.2L LS3 @ 400-405HP but the following '11 model year will bring a ZR1-like LS9 Z28 Camaro ...S/C'd (TVS) at 480-500HP -- a bit detuned from the Caddy CTS-V -- according to R&T.

The ZR1 vette uses the 2.3TVS (638 HP) and Caddy uses the 1.9TVS (550 HP). An intercooled S/C'd Z28 Camaro will likely be in the vicinity of 4200lbs, like the Caddy, or a bit less. Also Camaro will offer two V6s according to R&T -- a pushrod 220HP 3.5 and the GDI 300+HP DOHC V6. Reportedly, all will have IRS.

So the '10MY Camaro sounds like it:

220HP pushrod 2V V6 (may become the Cobalt I-4 instead)

300+HP DOHC 4V V6

400HP 6.2 SS

500HP 6.2 S/C's Z28

Mustang's '10MY offerings according to one ragmag are unchanged (not!).

I think we'll see something more like this for the '10/'11MY mustang:

-existing V6 (initially) then 3.5 V6 in '11/'12MY

-3.7TT (EcoBoost) at +/-350HP when 5.0 replaces 4.6 ('11MY)

-4.6 GT at 325HP (Bullit-tune and variable octane programming), then 5.0 at 350HP (overlapped 1 year with 3.7V6TT?)

-BOSS 5.0TT at 475-485 if TT (if no '10 GT500), else BOSS 5.0NA at 400-425HP, either may get new GDI/VVT heads)

-if GT500: 540HP (w/CAI and KR tune) when Z28 arrives (2Q10 as '11MY?)

I would like to see TVS-2.3 make it to some GT500 incarnation -- it's a jewel, imo (apparently GM knows this <lol>), but I suspect Ford will not one-up the KR brand and keep selling the TVS as a bolt-on thru FRPP.

Just my take...

From technical point would you prefer TVS over the anticipated whipple 2.9 that should fit under the hood without mods...?

I was asking a local place here to install the whipple 2.9 when it is ready ....he checked with them and it seems its going to be few months before they get it out...i really do not want to rush for TVS before seeing what whipple will look like.

Archived