TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Hood

I wonder if the KR is going to have problems like the SS with the air "blowing out the candle" as Bud would call it. I know that a few have posted that they put the baffle in on the underside of the hood, but the motor is still stalling out from to much air.

I wonder if the KR is going to have problems like the SS with the air "blowing out the candle" as Bud would call it. I know that a few have posted that they put the baffle in on the underside of the hood, but the motor is still stalling out from to much air.

Looks the KR hood doesn't have the baffle like the SS hood. The issue maybe the KB blower and CAI not the hood. A few of us have a Proglass hood and JLT CAI, no baffle and no problems with stalling.

The KR's hood is already baffled. Enlarge the photo and you will see the retangular openings as opposed to one giantic opening like the pre-baffled SS hoods came with.

The objective of the baffling is to reduce the "off throttle" air turbulance within the CAI box, because it's the off-throttle, at speed air turbulance within the airbox that causes the MAF sensor to go nuts.

Under throttle, the air is being pulled through the hood opening, into the CAI, and then into the engine, no problem, everyone's happy. But when the car is still moving at speed and air is still rushing into the airbox after the throttle plate is closed off, the MAF sensor goes wacky because it can't understand why is air flowing past it (around it) when it knows that the throttle plate sitting above it is closed.

The baffling slows down the passive or "off throttle" air coming into the CAI, and the slower air flow stays within the airbox and doesn't go past the air cleaner and up to the MAF sensor.

I have read elsewhere that this anomaly could/should/might be resolved within the tune. I don't think that it can, becuase the problem occurs when the air flow into the air box is in a "passive" state. How could an adjustment to the tune tell the MAF sensor to ingore any air flowing arround it after it sees that the throttle plate is closed off?

A vacuum operated baffle door would also work, but why go through all that trouble if a simple piece of fiberglass with some holes drilled in it does the job just as effectively?

Archived