TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bold Moves Episode #10

68fastback

Interesting that Ford would post that.

Unless the U.S. automakers are able to extricate themselves from their U.A.W. contracts and unless they can find some relief from ever escalating health care costs, they are doomed. The bottom line: It's a global economy and the American worker (blue collar AND white collar) is competing with those in other countries who are willing to work for a fraction of his or her wages and benefits. It's not looking good for the Home Team. :sos:

Interesting that Ford would post that.

Unless the U.S. automakers are able to extricate themselves from their U.A.W. contracts and unless they can find some relief from ever escalating health care costs, they are doomed. The bottom line: It's a global economy and the American worker (blue collar AND white collar) is competing with those in other countries who are willing to work for a fraction of his or her wages and benefits. It's not looking good for the Home Team. :sos:

For sure, JR...

-------------------------------------------------

Mark Fields gave an EXCELLENT speech to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce June 14, 2006 just before his presentation to the U.S. Congress. It's a really worthwhile read and touches on JR's points and many more; here's the link if anyone's interested: Mark Fields speech Some excellent insights on the challenges and how the playing field is not all that even.

<edit:> It's a fairly long read, but worth it...

I'm an optomist - but I have to agree.

Unless the USA can come up with a product that we alone can produce - my grandkids' lifestyle is not going to be anything like mine.

Global changes take time - but I think our position here in America is not looking real rosy long term.

Anyone know what the average hourly rate is for an auto worker here in the US?

Or - a longshoreman?

I think I need to learn to speak Spanish...

I'm an optomist - but I have to agree.

Unless the USA can come up with a product that we alone can produce - my grandkids' lifestyle is not going to be anything like mine.

Global changes take time - but I think our position here in America is not looking real rosy long term.

Anyone know what the average hourly rate is for an auto worker here in the US?

Or - a longshoreman?

I think I need to learn to speak Spanish...

Que?

Archived