TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel and Tire Care

Webber

Just wondering what everyone's doing to prep their wheels and tires. I HATE all the brake dust and thought about putting Ice wax on the wheels to help reduce this problem--maybe it won't cling as much! :banghead:

Also, I'm looking for a good product for the tires that will leave a semi-gloss coat (nothing too wet/shiny). A few years back I was told by a wheel specialty shop that some chemicals used on tires (Armorall was mentioned) can be very harmful to the wheels if it gets on there, and will even cause corrision, as this problem happened to my aluminum wheels on my Jeep years ago--a white, chaulky substance developed. Don't want this happening to the GT500! :fear: Any thoughts?

Yeah, I find Armor-all looks good when first applied but tends to 'brown' the rubber over time for some reason. I've used silicone for years and tire-shine but definately not good to get either on the rotors and they both are dirt magnets

Over the past few years I've found I like detailing sprays best (Eagle-one blue-label works well, imo) on wheels and tires ..and the paint too between waxings. It's intended for painted surfaces but I like it because it adds virtually no gloss on rubber and both wheels and tires seem to clean-up easier.

Another thought is to switch to Hawk or Porterfield pads (both made by Porterfield, I believe) which I'm told generate much less dust ...and/or the dust is much less noticeable because it's light in color. Possibly others can be more specific on which specific pads to use.

-Dan

Just wondering what everyone's doing to prep their wheels and tires. I HATE all the brake dust and thought about putting Ice wax on the wheels to help reduce this problem--maybe it won't cling as much! :banghead:

Also, I'm looking for a good product for the tires that will leave a semi-gloss coat (nothing too wet/shiny). A few years back I was told by a wheel specialty shop that some chemicals used on tires (Armorall was mentioned) can be very harmful to the wheels if it gets on there, and will even cause corrision, as this problem happened to my aluminum wheels on my Jeep years ago--a white, chaulky substance developed. Don't want this happening to the GT500! :fear: Any thoughts?

I too have had bad experience with tire cleaners. I would also like to know what cleaner gives a good gloss, but does not spin off the tires. Suggestions?

I use ICE polish on the wheels - they stll get coated with brake dust after a few trips so that's not going to work. I use regular car wash on the wheels and Zaino Perfect Tire Gloss on the tires.

I plan to someday replace the stock brake pads with Porterfield pads to reduce the dust.

Archived