TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car and Driver

Wolf

2008 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR: The Most Ridiculously Overpriced Mustang Ever - Car News

EIGHTY grand for a Mustang!?

BY ERIK JOHNSON

April 2008

Way back when the Ford Shelby Mustang GT500KR was announced at the 2007 New York auto show, we speculated that it might cost $50,000—maybe $55,000, tops. Turns out we were very, very wrong.

Ford today released pricing information for the 540-hp, supercharged ultra-Stang, and it will cost a whopping $79,995 plus a likely $1300 gas-guzzler tax when it goes on sale in May. That’s right folks, more than any production Mustang in history, and more than several Car and Driver favorites.

What possible reasons could a person who ponies up eighty large for a Mustang—the same amount as three Mustang GTs—have for passing up so many indelible automotive delights? What thoughts might rush through their heads? A rundown, in order of price:

BMW M3 ($55,875): “Sounds too good, not enough torque, engine revs far too high. Why would I want the best car in the world?”

Lexus IS F ($56,675): “I’ve never heard of this one before. The leather’s probably much too buttery soft, though, and there’s no way the gauge cluster lights will change colors.”

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG ($57,225): “Way too awesome.”

Nissan GT-R ($70,475): “Too fast, too capable. Also, it has all-wheel drive and therefore can’t do ridiculously long burnouts.”

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 ($72,125): “Can I point you toward my Calvin-peeing-on-a-bowtie sticker?”

Porsche 911 Carrera ($74,360): “Don’t speak German. Also, not enough torque.”

Lotus Elise Supercharged plus a Mazda MX-5 ($77,710): “I hate turning.”

In short, you’d have to be nuts, although based on our previous experience with the hysteria that surrounds all things Shelby, the 1000 GT500KRs will likely go quickly.

2008 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR: The Most Ridiculously Overpriced Mustang Ever - Car News

EIGHTY grand for a Mustang!?

BY ERIK JOHNSON

April 2008

Way back when the Ford Shelby Mustang GT500KR was announced at the 2007 New York auto show, we speculated that it might cost $50,000—maybe $55,000, tops. Turns out we were very, very wrong.

Ford today released pricing information for the 540-hp, supercharged ultra-Stang, and it will cost a whopping $79,995 plus a likely $1300 gas-guzzler tax when it goes on sale in May. That’s right folks, more than any production Mustang in history, and more than several Car and Driver favorites.

What possible reasons could a person who ponies up eighty large for a Mustang—the same amount as three Mustang GTs—have for passing up so many indelible automotive delights? What thoughts might rush through their heads? A rundown, in order of price:

Here is MSRP just on the GT500 BEFORE anything is added as part of the KR.

This comes WITHOUT the stripe kit that would cost you $1300 to order seperately and WITHOUT the factory GT500 spoiler that cost close to $400 if ordered seperately, but it does come with the 3:73 rear end which is an upgrade over the 3:31 stock.

Price Information MSRP

STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $42,330

Key Standard Equipment

ORDER CODE 820A-SHELBY COUP

P255/45/R18 FRT 285/40R18 R

SHELBY REAR DECKLID SPOILER

SHELBY INTERIOR PACKAGE

OVER-THE-TOP RACING STRIPE

AM/FM STEREO/6-CD IN DASH/M

18" BRIGHT MACHINED ALUM WH

ANTI-LOCK BRAKES

Optional Equipment

2008 MODEL YEAR

SILVER CLEARCOAT METALLIC

BLACK W/BLACK ACCENT LTHR

.5.4L SC 4V V8 ENGINE

.6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION

JOB #2 ORDER

FRONT FLOORMAT DELETE

REAR SPOILER DELETE

SHIP THRU K

50 STATE EMISSIONS

3.73 RATIO LIMITED SLIP AXLE

SIRIUS SAT RADIO W/6 MOS SVC 195

HID HEADLAMPS 525

TAPE STRIPE DELETE

OVER THE TOP STRIPE DELETE

SHELBY GT500KR PACKAGE -210

DVD BASED NAVIGATION SYSTEM 1,995

GT500 PREMIUM TRIM PACKAGE 595

AMBIENT LIGHTING 295

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS 45,725

DESTINATION & DELIVERY 795

TOTAL MSRP $46,520

========================

So he THOUGHT $50k to $55k TOPS??????

How are you going to add all the extra KR stuff for only $3,480???? Or even $8,480????

The carbon fiber hood ALONE costs over $6k - $7k and that is just for the hood! So I guess you could just add the hood and then be abble to buy one for $55k! :hysterical:

This is what the KR Package from FORD consist of:

54K Package – Required for Shelby GT500KR

Includes:

• Delete standard top stripes *

• Delete standard side stripes *

• Tire inflator kit (ilo spare)

• Delete floor mats

• Delete Shelby GT500 rear spoiler

• Upgraded 3.73 rear axle

==========================

This is what you pay the extra $35k for that comes from SAI:

Shelby Modifications

Ford Racing Performance Parts Content

• FR Power Upgrade Package (540 HP)

- cold air intake

- mufflers

- premium fuel calibration

• Installation of SVT-tuned suspension components

• Ford Racing short-throw shifter

• Ford Racing front strut-tower brace

• Ford Racing front brake cooling ducts

Appearance Items

• Shelby-designed ‘GT500KR’ 18-inch wheels

• Shelby racing and body side stripes

• ‘Shelby’ lettering across the front edge of hood and rear decklid

• 40th Anniversary badges on the front quarter panels and grille

• Carroll Shelby signature embroidered headrests and floor mats

• Official Shelby CSM 40th Anniversary GT500KR dash plate

• Unique carbon composite hood featuring classic Shelby ‘KR’

design and hood pins

Now does anyone really think you can add all that for only $3,480 - $8,480 TOPS?????

Then there is the added shipping expense to have them all shipped in an enclosed trailer from SAI to the dealer.

I don't know where he got $50k - $55k from! Most people were figuring at least $20k - $25k for the KR upgrade which would have put it in the $65k - $70k range, but $50k - $55k????

The Saleen 550 HP extreme is over $72k and that is with the 4.6L motor.

What is this guy? One of those biased Ford haters???

He sure has a hardon for the imports!!

michael morris

i never agree with C/D..but in this case i do....80K for a stang is stupid..and it is not a matter of affording or not..its not a smart purchase..go back to 1971 for those old enuff and those who can remember the gosh awful 71 redesign of the stang (thanks bunkie)...there is a famous quote.."for whatever it is not it is a mustng and no mustang is going to rust on the showroom floor"....hysteria on stangs has been around for years and the KR just proves it (hysteria) is alive and well in the 2009 gt500KR

It's a serious question though, was that an '07 problem only? If the 2008 GT500s still have unpainted rearends, for the price of $80,000 I would think that could be dealt with.

YOU WOULD THINK IT WOULD BE BUT IT IS STILL A ONGOING ISSUE ( THEY JUST DON'T CARE ) OR IT WOULD HAVE BEEN RESOLVED.

i never agree with C/D..but in this case i do....80K for a stang is stupid..and it is not a matter of affording or not..its not a smart purchase..go back to 1971 for those old enuff and those who can remember the gosh awful 71 redesign of the stang (thanks bunkie)...there is a famous quote.."for whatever it is not it is a mustng and no mustang is going to rust on the showroom floor"....hysteria on stangs has been around for years and the KR just proves it (hysteria) is alive and well in the 2009 gt500KR

What's so gosh awful about this design?

Mach1withstripes005.jpg

Mach1withstripes016.jpg

What's so gosh awful about this design.

AGREED! I have loved my Dad's 72 Mach 1 since he got it 36 years ago. It has never failed to turn heads and get comments. I won't say it is the most attractive Mustang by any stretch but it is IMO an attractive automobile.

It's a serious question though, was that an '07 problem only? If the 2008 GT500s still have unpainted rearends, for the price of $80,000 I would think that could be dealt with.

Actually, about $50 and a couple hours is all I needed to do mine.

Now I'm going to tackle the same axle rust that's been on my other one since 1965. I wouldn't worry about anything falling apart real quick.

This really puzzles me. Has Ford ever painted a rear end? Why is everybody all wrapped up about it on this car?

Actually, about $50 and a couple hours is all I needed to do mine.

Now I'm going to tackle the same axle rust that's been on my other one since 1965. I wouldn't worry about anything falling apart real quick.

This really puzzles me. Has Ford ever painted a rear end? Why is everybody all wrapped up about it on this car?

my 70 boss 302 is/was painted chasis black

SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST BORN IGNORANT :hysterical2:

H*ll yea it a bit pricey. When you can get a super snake for the same money and have better performance. The KR should have atleast had a TVS blower like the super snake. If you break it down there is no way that it costed 35,000 for different springs and spoilers, thats way too much. The Hood is the only thing that has any cost to it. 10,000 would more than handle the rest of the bill for the parts and installation. The KR is basic a GT500 with different springs and stripes much like a GT Shelby is a Mustang GT with stripes and different parts. What I hate is that Ford will not sale these parts to other GT500 owners. I do not care about the Hood but It would sure be nice to be able to upgrade our suspensions and have the KR exchaust. Do not give that line it devalues the KR's to let the GT500 owners upgrade too the KR performance level. Just like with the old KR's its the vin Number that counts not the parts.

Archived