TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500KR Parts not available to non-owners

mike

I don't know if anyone has seen this.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/28/first-d...gt500kr-part-1/

I remember seeing a thread about the KR hood and some wishing to purchase one. Appears we are out of luck. Pretty annoying.

Mike

That is true, you can buy the Super Snake hood and parts, which is beautiful.

Sorry to be snotty, but I told you (the forum) so :yup:

See my post #22 here KR Hood Options

Personally, I think FoMoCo made the right decision, if I laid down the long, and you know the KR ADM is going to be LOOOOOOOONG, I wouldn't want any Joe Schmo to be able to buy the factory parts and roll-their-own KR...That wouldn't be right. Just as it's not right that any Joe Schmo can roll-their-own GT500 and with factory parts, what's the diff FoMoCo???? I guess we GT500 owners didn't pay ENOUGH ADM in FoMoCo's opinion...

EDIT: Spelling

Personally, I think FoMoCo made the right decision, if I laid down the long, and you know the KR ADM is going to be LOOOOOOOONG, I wouldn't want any Joe Schmo to be able to buy the factory parts and roll-their-own KR...That wouldn't be right. Just as it's not right that any Joe Schmo can roll-their-own GT500 and with factory parts, what's the diff FoMoCo???? I guess we GT500 owners didn't pay ENOUGH ADM in FoMoCo's opinion...

I agree, if folks could buy ALL the SS parts and just make one in the backyard for half the money it would really hurt the SS.

michael morris

You can buy ANY of the Ford parts. The KR hood is NOT a Ford part. You have to buy it through SAI and SAI is not selling it to just anyone other than KR owners. Ford has nothing to do with the hood that comes on the KR.

You can buy ANY of the Ford parts. The KR hood is NOT a Ford part. You have to buy it through SAI and SAI is not selling it to just anyone other than KR owners. Ford has nothing to do with the hood that comes on the KR.

Exactly, and the KR engraved Alcoa's too. You can buy the "Shelby Forged" Alcoa's all day long and twice on Sunday's, but good luck getting a set of KR wheels without a KR VIN on your named title and/ or pink slip.

Exactly, and the KR engraved Alcoa's too. You can buy the "Shelby Forged" Alcoa's all day long and twice on Sunday's, but good luck getting a set of KR wheels without a KR VIN on your named title and/ or pink slip.

Back in 68 the KR had an upgraded engine, why wouldn't SAI or Ford at least put the TVS upgrade on the KR? Lots of extra money for a FRPP Cold Air Intake only. This has probably been discussed to death but I haven't seen a good explanation, money couldn't be the reason, as anybody that's buying a KR to keep, would rather spend the few extra bucks and have the TVS, IMO. I also heard the 09's were going to have 50 more hp than the 07 or 08's, is this true and would it be with a tune or CAI or combination?

Thanks

Back in 68 the KR had an upgraded engine, why wouldn't SAI or Ford at least put the TVS upgrade on the KR? Lots of extra money for a FRPP Cold Air Intake only. This has probably been discussed to death but I haven't seen a good explanation, money couldn't be the reason, as anybody that's buying a KR to keep, would rather spend the few extra bucks and have the TVS, IMO. I also heard the 09's were going to have 50 more hp than the 07 or 08's, is this true and would it be with a tune or CAI or combination?

Thanks

The 2009 GT500 order guide shows 500 HP the same as the 2007 & 2008

The only change for 2009 is sat. radio comes standard instead of being optional. Everything else remains the same.

The KR has a little more than just a CAI only.

54K Package – Required for Shelby GT500KR

Includes:

• Delete standard top stripes *

• Delete standard side stripes *

• Tire inflator kit (ilo spare)

• Delete floor mats

• Delete Shelby GT500 rear spoiler

• Upgraded 3.73 rear axle

* Shelby GT500KR stripes applied at Shelby Automobiles

Shelby Modifications

Ford Racing Performance Parts Content

• FR Power Upgrade Package (540 HP)

- cold air intake

- mufflers

- premium fuel calibration

• Installation of SVT-tuned suspension components

• Ford Racing short-throw shifter

• Ford Racing front strut-tower brace

• Ford Racing front brake cooling ducts

Appearance Items

• Shelby-designed ‘GT500KR’ 18-inch wheels

• Shelby racing and body side stripes

• ‘Shelby’ lettering across the front edge of hood and rear decklid

• 40th Anniversary badges on the front quarter panels and grille

• Carroll Shelby signature embroidered headrests and floor mats

• Official Shelby CSM 40th Anniversary GT500KR dash plate

• Unique carbon composite hood featuring classic Shelby ‘KR’

design and hood pins

So the article is incorrect?

"And don't even think about building your own – Ford and Shelby have agreed that they won't produce any of the other parts except for replacements on existing KRs."

Not to flame you SD but regardless of who decides what and to whom KR parts get sold, you still can't buy a carbon fiber SAI KR hood unless you own a KR and need a replacement.

Wasn't there some speculation from SAI that they might make the KR hood in fiberglass? I believe it was talked about here on the forum last Fall.

This is a bit off topic (not much, though). I am looking for Alcoa wheels, 18" in width and NOT with "KR" on the wheels. Anyone know where to go to get those? Thanks. Jim

This is a bit off topic (not much, though). I am looking for Alcoa wheels, 18" in width and NOT with "KR" on the wheels. Anyone know where to go to get those? Thanks. Jim

Jim you are working hard on this. You get an A++!

Roger

I definitely wouldn't want to "badge out" my GT500 to a KR, but I do love that hood. And would buy it in a heartbeat, or one that was exactly like it...not just close...

I definitely wouldn't want to "badge out" my GT500 to a KR, but I do love that hood. And would buy it in a heartbeat, or one that was exactly like it...not just close...

Of course any enterprising KR owner should go ahead and purchase a hood and put it on EBAY... It might get a few bids... :hearseespeak:

does anyone know if the kr gets coilovers . the reason i am asking i was at another famous site and was watching a video and the guy testing the kr ,well he stated that it has coilovers. i am thinking of getting coilovers i would like to know the specs of the kr if it does .

I'm not sure on the KRs coilovers, but I do know Eibach makes a great set of coilovers with remote resevoirs for the GT500. I almost bought them, but decided to keep it with regular lowering springs by Steeda.

Archived