TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Test drove the SGT & Bullitt today (WOW!)

HUNTMAN-USA

Hello all,

Just walked out of the Santa Barbara, Ca Ford dealer after finishing a test drive on the SGT and Bullitt. Wow, great fun! IMHO here's what I noticed: SGT-great look, suspension tighter + more road worthy, gearing (3.55) nice torque at 1st thru 3rd, great exhaust sound, great "wow" factor with the Shelby looks and traditon.

Bullitt: Great look, good suspension as it rides an inch higher + less road worthy than the SGT, great gearing (3.73) as the rear broke free easier (smoking potential) from 1st thru 2nd and 3rd still breaking free!!, nice exhaust sound-will get anyone's attention, good to great "wow" factor (if you prefer the stealth look-I do!). Steve McQueen would be pleased!

Tremec 3650: SGT - Hurst shifter was notchy and delibrate, but after a few turns through the gears it worked well; but it took a little getting used too. Bullitt's manual was easier and smoother, and liked the short shifter, but required longer throws. With each manual, it's personal preference!

Conclusion: SGT! Glad I was able to drive both, because I believe in the SGT the "WOW" factor is more complete. Also, I went in with an open mind and was not biased because of the "Shelby" name, history or it's tradition. The Bullitt has my respect... :shift:

Note: Be interested in anyone elses observations if they had driven both recently!!!

Sounds like fun. Welcome! They are both great cars. Can't go wrong buying either. Sooner or later a car magazine will do a comparo of the two. I predict the Bullitt will be declared the winner solely based on price, bang for the buck.

Sounds like fun. Welcome! They are both great cars. Can't go wrong buying either. Sooner or later a car magazine will do a comparo of the two. I predict the Bullitt will be declared the winner solely based on price, bang for the buck.

Thank you,

And yes, I agree. However, Santa Barbara Ford has 6 SGT Ca. editions on their lot; they've been there awhile. They are dealing on them and I believe they my get close to selling them for what you can buy a Bullitt for: $31,000 plus tax, lic. I guess it's going to come down to what the dealers are experiencing with their stock on hand. I recently read that quite a few dealers in So. Ca have plenty of 07's & 08's sitting in the back lots. Regardless, anyone who buys the SGT will be pleased!! :yup:

Welcome to Team Shelby HuntMan-USA

You hit the nail on the head with your observations. The SGT is an outstanding car even when it is compared to other special models.

Sounds like you may also have found the right dealer. The more SGT's on the lot the more they are probably going to make the deal happen.

Good luck on your search and let us know when you take the plunge.

Steve

.....Regardless, anyone who buys the SGT will be pleased!! :yup:

I am! :happy feet:

Thanks for your mini-review; a good read!

Ford across from me got thier Bullitt about a month ago. started in the show room floor, then went to outside the show room floor door, Then moved to line up alongside the front of building (About 40 feet from showroom floor door. Today it was parked amongst the 7 other mustang gt's and 6r's in the middle of the lot...........

Too bad.......

I like the car for what it is. Your not going to get any more retro then with that car. yes , Steve would have been proud. Im sure if gas was lower, somebody would be drivin it.

Team Shelby back on line, YA!,

Morning everyone from the West Coast! I happened to be visiting a friend today (Thousand Oaks, Ca) and just had to visit the local Ford dealer; just had too!! (LOL) To my surprise, they have three blue SGT's, one Orange (Ca edition), a Bullitt and a red GT500. Since it was early morning when I visited (locked showroom), I walked around the lot and found that the three hardtops outside were stickered at, get this: $42,500.00!!!!!

After I finished laughing, I understood where I was. This particular community is upper middle class and "some" of those who reside here have to have the latest stuff and are willing to pay dearly for it. I was tempted to stick around and have some interesting dialog with the salemen, but it was too early and breakfast was calling...

Nevertheless, check out the video on "Inside the Line" at Edmunds.com and watch the dual between the Bullitt and the Challeger SRT, quite a good piece. Anyway, I'm still looking at the SGT seriously, but I think the advantage (as a buyer) is in my favor. You gentlemen are right, gas & economy + 09 Challenger/10 Camaro will drive the price of the SGT's and GT500 to reasonable levels; we'll see... :shift:

Which hardtops were $42,500?

Bullitt or SGT?

That is what MSRP is on the SGT so if it were SGT's then that has nothing to do with the community. That is what they cost.

The 07's are much cheaper now only because they have good rebates on them. The 08 SGT has no rebates.

Which hardtops were $42,500?

Bullitt or SGT?

That is what MSRP is on the SGT so if it were SGT's then that has nothing to do with the community. That is what they cost.

The 07's are much cheaper now only because they have good rebates on them. The 08 SGT has no rebates.

All three SGT's (minus the convertible in the showroom) were $43,500 (orange 08) and the two 07's were $42,500.00. As far as the 08's SGT's, in Santa Barbara, Ca they are dealing off MSRP and they not $42,500.00 or $43,00.00, closer to $39,000.00. The Bullitt was $34,000.00, in Thousand Oaks, Ca. In Santa Barbara, Ca they were asking $31,000.00 and their mark-up was $1800.00, which totaled: $32,800.00 for the Bullitt (they also were dealing off that price).

As far as the community of Thousand Oaks, Ca is concerned, those at the Ford dealer there have the market cornered. The next Ford dealer with a larger inventory is in the San Fernando Valley (Galpin Ford) 35 miles away. Galpin deal on their vehicles regardless if they are Shelby's or not. In Santa Barbara, the dealer there is going to work with you a little, because they too have a large inventory and S.B is a small community (word of mouth travels fast) and they can't afford to be unreasonable (ripping you off)!

Good deals can be had on 08s. I got mine for less than $36K. That's with IUP, anti-theft, and wheel locks. Back then (Nov 07) they had a $1K rebate/discount on 08s.

If you want an 08...give it time. As soon as they thin their 07 supplies, they'll offer rebates on the 08s again.

Good deals can be had on 08s. I got mine for less than $36K

Ya baby!,

It's going to be a "GOOOOD" couple of years for muscle cars!!! Can't wait to see how things unfold between the Challenger, Bullitt, Camaro and the Shelby's!!

even though i prefer my SGT....if i had the $$$ the Bullit would easily be my DD and my SGT would be the weekend asphalt killer.

they had a black Bullit at a local Ford and it looked very stealthy. :spiteful:

Good deals can be had on 08s. I got mine for less than $36K. That's with IUP, anti-theft, and wheel locks. Back then (Nov 07) they had a $1K rebate/discount on 08s.

If you want an 08...give it time. As soon as they thin their 07 supplies, they'll offer rebates on the 08s again.

There are more 07 SGT's sitting around than there are 08's. With such a low supply on hand Ford may not put any rebates on them. Even the regular 08 V6 and GT Mustangs only have $1,500 rebate. That is half of what it was on the 07's last year at this time. Ford has been cutting way back on big rebates. Even the big gas guzzler Expeditions only have a $2000 rebate compared to $6000 last year.

I also just read an article where Ford says the prices on cars are going to go up due to the loss of sales on trucks and SUV's. Those were their profit makers and they will be raising prices on cars to help make up for the loss in profits on the trucks and SUV's.

Higher prices, less rebates, less dealers, lower production = more profitability!

Didn't you get yours for X-Plan or was it the military exchange? You can't compare that with retail purchases. They don't have any X-Plan now and no more rebates. So the only way to get one now for $36K is if the dealer is willing to lose $3k - $4k just to sell it. Not likely.

Archived