TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Are there any afordable spare tire options?

skiph

I'm not a big fan of fix-a-flat kits. But, short of buying another standard 18" front weel and tire (the font ones will fit on the back, but not the reverse due to the front brakes being massive from what I have found out), are there any other specific options that would fit front and back?

I've been to a couple of auto supply places around me and so far, no dice.

Any ideas anybody?

Thanks!

Skip

This topic has been treated both on the GT500 and SGT sites and, bottom line, a stock GT500 wheel and tire will not fit in your trunk while a stock SGT wheel and tire will fit, barely, in the trunk (I know, because I am using that set up in my SGT). Jim

You can always buy a set of run flat tires.

That concept has been discussed, too. Apparently, there are many draw backs to those types of tires. Run flats would certainly deal with the issue, though. Guess it is just whether the pluses and minuses are acceptable. Jim

This topic has been treated both on the GT500 and SGT sites and, bottom line, a stock GT500 wheel and tire will not fit in your trunk while a stock SGT wheel and tire will fit, barely, in the trunk (I know, because I am using that set up in my SGT). Jim

Actually, a stock GT500 wheel and tire will fit in the trunk, just not in the location where the inflation kit is. I purchased the front tire in this pic from a member on this site and intend to use it as a spare when I take my car on any lengthy ride/trip (not short distances though). I'll just have to figure out how to properly secure it in the trunk for the trip. Perfect spare in my opinion, as a front can be used for the back as well, but not the reverse.

post-9031-1209341007_thumb.jpg

Actually, a stock GT500 wheel and tire will fit in the trunk, just not in the location where the inflation kit is. I purchased the front tire in this pic from a member on this site and intend to use it as a spare when I take my car on any lengthy ride/trip (not short distances though). I'll just have to figure out how to properly secure it in the trunk for the trip. Perfect spare in my opinion, as a front can be used for the back as well, but not the reverse.

Hummm...looks like the only option is gonna be a stock from wheel and tire. Would have been nice for it to have hit in the wheel-well though.

Do you remember the link for purchasing it? I'll be pricing it from the dealer, but suspect just about anyplace else would be less expensive then the dealer.

Hummm...looks like the only option is gonna be a stock from wheel and tire. Would have been nice for it to have hit in the wheel-well though.

Do you remember the link for purchasing it? I'll be pricing it from the dealer, but suspect just about anyplace else would be less expensive then the dealer.

I purchased it from a member on this site. He went with the 40th upgrade so he no longer needed the stock ones. He sold the rear ones to another member and one of the front ones to me a few weeks ago. It has 700 miles on it and looks like new. He may still have the other. If you want his info, send me a PM.

Here's a source for the GT500 wheel - free shipping too.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_...ts_id=613cPath=

Archived