TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Schroth Street Harness

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/Tuni...it/qf-mini#1571

I'm not the first to mention this product here, in fact, I heard about it here myself. Sorry I can't remember who posted it, so, I owe you props.

I ordered a set and installed them in LuLu. 225.00 each plus 12.47 shipping. Typical woman, LuLu loves a touch of red.

The fit and finish is excellent, The stitching remarkable. Infinite adjustment and total security. And, you can remove them from the car when not in use because they hook up to the OEM seat belt receptacles.

Well, almost.

For some odd reason the rear seat receptacles are different from the front, and I had to do some light fabricating. Before I started, I tried them in my '08 Gran Marquis and they fit! So, it's off to my L/M parts dude for some spare parts.

The solution was four (4) 3" seat belt extension from the Mustang (and older L/M cars) Why 4? Well, two were cut up to obtain the chrome buckle which was installed on the Schroth belt that locks into the rear seat receptacles. The other two extensions were bolted into the car, undeneath the factory seat belt receptacle, allowing me to retain the OEM seat belts in the rear. Pull the seat (it pops right out), remove two bolts from the floor pan, double stack the receptacles and torque down.

Of the remaining attachments, two outboard rear seat attachments needed a 45 degree bend, but the front seat attachment slipped right into place. You need a #45 Torx head wrench for these outboard attachments.

BTW, the extensions are free from Ford.

I highly recommend this mod for anyone who plans on any formal or informal racing. As Kenny Brown once said, "control is power, and you won't have any control if you are loose in the seat".

Happy motoring, gents!

http://www.schrothracing.com/products/Tuni...it/qf-mini#1571

I'm not the first to mention this product here, in fact, I heard about it here myself. Sorry I can't remember who posted it, so, I owe you props.

I ordered a set and installed them in LuLu. 225.00 each plus 12.47 shipping. Typical woman, LuLu loves a touch of red.

The fit and finish is excellent, The stitching remarkable. Infinite adjustment and total security. And, you can remove them from the car when not in use because they hook up to the OEM seat belt receptacles.

Well, almost.

For some odd reason the rear seat receptacles are different from the front, and I had to do some light fabricating. Before I started, I tried them in my '08 Gran Marquis and they fit! So, it's off to my L/M parts dude for some spare parts.

The solution was four (4) 3" seat belt extension from the Mustang (and older L/M cars) Why 4? Well, two were cut up to obtain the chrome buckle which was installed on the Schroth belt that locks into the rear seat receptacles. The other two extensions were bolted into the car, undeneath the factory seat belt receptacle, allowing me to retain the OEM seat belts in the rear. Pull the seat (it pops right out), remove two bolts from the floor pan, double stack the receptacles and torque down.

Of the remaining attachments, two outboard rear seat attachments needed a 45 degree bend, but the front seat attachment slipped right into place. You need a #45 Torx head wrench for these outboard attachments.

BTW, the extensions are free from Ford.

I highly recommend this mod for anyone who plans on any formal or informal racing. As Kenny Brown once said, "control is power, and you won't have any control if you are loose in the seat".

Happy motoring, gents!

What Part numbers di you order for this , the site you gave dosen't specify a part number for Mustang GT....? , and can you post a couple of pictures on the connections for the rear attach points ..................ZDS

What Part numbers di you order for this , the site you gave dosen't specify a part number for Mustang GT....? , and can you post a couple of pictures on the connections for the rear attach points ..................ZDS

There is no "kit" for any Ford product.

The Schroth P/N I purchased are:

QuickFit Mini in red, just like the pic at the website.

SR 16652-Left side

SR 16652-Right side

The boxes were marked "BMW"

The 4 seat belt extensions I got from L/M parts is 4L5Z-10611C22-AAA. If you are installing one belt for driver alone, you will need 2 extensions, one to cut up, the other to mount. If two belts are used for driver and passenger, four extensions will be needed. They should be free.

Sorry, no pics at the present time, me and cameras don't get along. But, I'll try, and I'll have to send them to a friend here for uploading, so, it won't be today.

My apology, gents...I've run into a few problems with this install.

Nothing I would consider as preventing the install, just a series of small obstacles to overcome with a touch of innovative thinking. Until I do overcome these problems, please..."Do not try this at home".

The first issue is the rear seat cushion. It won't stay in place with the tandem receptacles (OEM and my extension fix) in place.

The rear seat cushion is very...Umm..."tailored?" to the floor pan, as well as a passenger's butt. Folks riding in your rear seat are truely riding in real "buckets". Areas of the floor pan molded to fit a human butt of moderate size. BTW, anyone in your back seat is sitting on your dual fuel pumps, less than an inch above the dual fuel tanks.

Thus, tolerances between the floor pan and the molded rear seat cushion are very tight. Tight enough that the dual belt (OEM and mine together) receptacles won't allow the rear seat cushion to fully lock in. While it locks at first install, once you get on the road and pull a few tight turns causing some mild frame flex the cushion pops out. Not a real issue to me personally, but it is "untidy" IMHO.

The second issue was raised by my NASCAR/INEX race car safety dude. In his opinion, installing these belt receptacles in tandem presents a strain on the frame mount.

Inboard rear seat belt mounts are rated for 3,000 lbs. of strain, but that's just for the rear seat passengers who have a limited range of motion in a crash. Front seat passenger seat belt mounts are rated at 6,000 lbs of strain because of a wider range of motion, and may explain why the receptacles are different front to rear.

Therefore, my tandem install doubles the strain on the inboard seat belt mounts and he says "that's not good, pick one or the other, but not both". Got it...

This is still a work in progress, but there is no sense in calling something a "safety belt" if it's not safe. It will be resolved, and safely too.

I'll keep y'all updated on solutions.

Well gents, I'm calling this a "done deal".

I have my 4 point Schroth race harness installed (and safely too), but I had to sacrifice the OEM inboard rear seat receptacles. They just won't fit between the rear seat cushion and the floor pan. Moreover, a tandem assembly presents excessive stress on the mounts. I had to make a choice. Rear seat OEM 3 point for passengers, or, 4 point race harness for front seat passengers.

Considering my lifestyle and driving habits, the OEM receptacles are out. I'm not expecting any rear seat passengers soon, but when (and if) necessary, the Schroth system can be removed and the OEM restored in about 10 minutes.

Again...Any of y'all anticipating any high performance driving, a 4 point harness is the way to go. Kenny Brown taught me "you have to be one with the seat, and the car". You can't do that with the OEM belts, and you end up bracing yourself in the seat, rather than using all your resources to control the car.

IMHO...If you believe in a "dead pedal" for added control, you need a 4 point harness too.

Happy motoring, gents.

Mac, you gotta post some pic's bud. Also, a few months ago you mentioned you were going to install the hood lift kit when Lulu came out of hibernation. Did you and how did that go? Thanks

Jim

Well gents, I'm calling this a "done deal".

I have my 4 point Schroth race harness installed (and safely too), but I had to sacrifice the OEM inboard rear seat receptacles. They just won't fit between the rear seat cushion and the floor pan. Moreover, a tandem assembly presents excessive stress on the mounts. I had to make a choice. Rear seat OEM 3 point for passengers, or, 4 point race harness for front seat passengers.

Considering my lifestyle and driving habits, the OEM receptacles are out. I'm not expecting any rear seat passengers soon, but when (and if) necessary, the Schroth system can be removed and the OEM restored in about 10 minutes.

Again...Any of y'all anticipating any high performance driving, a 4 point harness is the way to go. Kenny Brown taught me "you have to be one with the seat, and the car". You can't do that with the OEM belts, and you end up bracing yourself in the seat, rather than using all your resources to control the car.

IMHO...If you believe in a "dead pedal" for added control, you need a 4 point harness too.

Happy motoring, gents.

Thanks for the info I would love to see some pics if possible ,of how you made the attachment points .

I'll have to add these to my future 30 year mod plan. I'm not doing to well with this plan though.... :lol: I think I would go with black, myself.

Here is an alternative. I read about it in this month's 5.0 magazine.

http://www.cg-lock.com/

$40 and supposed to install in about a minute. I had intended to take it with me to the track last weekend and install it but I forgot. It isn't a full harness but 5.0 magazine really liked it. Also one of the instructors at Speedventures approved when I told him I had one to install. I was going to wait until I actually tested it before I mentioned it but the timing seems appropriate.

Here is an alternative. I read about it in this month's 5.0 magazine.

http://www.cg-lock.com/

$40 and supposed to install in about a minute. I had intended to take it with me to the track last weekend and install it but I forgot. It isn't a full harness but 5.0 magazine really liked it. Also one of the instructors at Speedventures approved when I told him I had one to install. I was going to wait until I actually tested it before I mentioned it but the timing seems appropriate.

Please keep us posted on your field testing?

I tried a similar product a while back. It tied my butt to the seat okay, but didn't offer any stability for my torso. I still flopped left to right in turns, and that didn't improve my cornering. That's why I went with a 4 point setup.

Mac, you gotta post some pic's bud. Also, a few months ago you mentioned you were going to install the hood lift kit when Lulu came out of hibernation. Did you and how did that go? Thanks

Jim

Pics are up now, Jim, thanks to my friend Jim Clark.

I totally forgot about pics of the hood lift kit. Yes, the mod is in, and the install was relatively smooth. Correct hood alignment was a snap after everything was bolted in.

However, I have since learned that the holding strength of the gas strut is not up to par. At our recent ShelbyFest '08, there was a mild to medium wind all afternoon, and it was strong enough to slam the hood shut.

I never removed the hood prop after the install, but it proved to be not much help. The hood lift kit allows a range of motion for the hood that pulls the prop rod out of it's socket, and once it falls to the side, the hood will come down.

Indoors, the hood lift kit works fine, and it's a touch of bling as well. But, with enough pressure on the hood, the gad struts fail.

Don't know what to do about this. I've been told that there is a stiffer strut available, but I haven't hunted that down yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would have concerns about installing the Schroth Safety Harness unless it was for track only. Right on the web site it stated not for street use. If you are in an accident, and the belts have been modified or removed, Ford and your insurance company, probably will not pay up in an accident. You have changed an important criteria. It might be better. But to Ford and your insurance company you modified the safety equipment. It looks neat and may be safer but I would not chance it.

I would have concerns about installing the Schroth Safety Harness unless it was for track only. Right on the web site it stated not for street use. If you are in an accident, and the belts have been modified or removed, Ford and your insurance company, probably will not pay up in an accident. You have changed an important criteria. It might be better. But to Ford and your insurance company you modified the safety equipment. It looks neat and may be safer but I would not chance it.

I don't understand why you say this. I didn't see that remark on the website, but I'll look again.

In their catalogue, as well as at the website I linked in my first post here, this harness is advertised as "street legal" harness. From the catalogue, page 32...

"Schroth's Quick-Fit harness is the perfect harness for Driver's school, Autocross, or, just bombing around the countryside. Try it on a long trip and we promise you won't get nearly as tired".

Furthermore, on page 40...

"Schroth street legal harness belts meet all certification requirements by the German TUV, ECE-R 16.04 and US-DOT FMVSS 209 for use on public roads". This certification is also stiched into the belts themselves.

Last, but not the least...Another member here contacted Schroth and told them of my exploration, and mis-matched receptacles on my SGT. Any objection is absent in Schroth's reply, and they stated they are looking into developing a product specifically for our cars.

I agree with the comfort issue. My 3 point OEM belt bothered my left shoulder (an old line of duty injury) and this has been cured by the harness. Besides, the OEM belts for the front seat passengers remain in tact and can be put in service in under 10 seconds. Thus, if someone is uncomfortable with using the harness, just unplug it and use the factory belt. Moreover, I do not forsee any back seat passengers in my SGT, but should this become necessary, 10 minutes and the OEM rear seat belts are restored.

Life is full of risks, I suppose my insurance company and Ford wouldn't like my helmet either. But, I'll risk using the Schroth harness over the OEM anyday. It may make the difference in retaining control of a vehicle in a hazard, rather than losing control and suffering a collision.

Thanks for sharing your views.

• 1 month later...

Archived