TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rattling noise from clutch

wingnut

I have a weird rattle noise once the car has been driven. It is a rattling noise and I'm thinking it is a throwout bearing or something.

The noise is noticeable at idle with the car in nuetral and clutch fully released. If the clutch is depressed mis sometimes goes away.

Anybody have the same issue? And what was the cause. Any ideas what the problem is? I am taking it to the dealer next week but want as much info prior to discussing the issue with the service tech.

Wingnut,

It's normal. Don't worry about it. My 2007 just had a new Tranny, clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing installed and it does it. The first set up that was original with the car did it too. I have to listen for it to notice it...but it's there.

From the 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 Supplement - page 8:

"Due to the high performance of the powertrain, a certain amount of noise from the transmission is normal. This noise will be most noticeable when the vehicle is idling in neutral with the clutch pedal out but can also occur when driving away from a stop."

Roll Over Noise:

SOME 2007MY GT500 MUSTANGS WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A LIGHT 'GEAR ROLLOVER' NOISE WHILE THE CLUTCH IS ENGAGED AND THE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL. GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC UNDER THESE CONDITIONS. IF THE NOISE IS BELIEVED TO BE ABNORMALLY LOUD, PLEASE COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY REPAIR. REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 308 FOR ADDITIONAL MANUAL TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION.

Gear Rattle:

SOME 2007MY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A 'GEAR RATTLE' NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE DURING 1ST & 2ND GEAR SLOW OR GRADUAL LAUNCH OF THE VEHICLE. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE IS ONLY PRESENT IN 1ST & 2ND GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY CONTACT PATTERN. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. RECOMMEND COMPARISON TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

I experience the same thing occasionally and it sounds like marbles on the cement floor...in first and second...usually goes away if you rev engine and engage at 1500 rpm....even in neutral you can hear it occasionally and my transmission is third generation...

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't you know, that's what makes these cars so fast?

They install a set of brass balls in the transmision right before it leaves the factory.....

Perfectly normal sound....

We've all got em'

Will the 2008's have the same symptoms as this marble sound in 1st and second? If so I will not worry.

Also I notice if I put very little pressure on the clutch (just enough to take the slack out), there feels like a throbbing or pulsing in the clutch pedal. Is this also normal?

The gear roll over noise or marble noice is present in the 2008's. I was with Gun Oil Sunday to see his Brand new GT500 after he picked it up from the dealer. His made the same noise as my 2007.

I have not heard anyone talk about the throbbing clutch pedal that you speak of.

The gear roll over noise or marble noice is present in the 2008's. I was with Gun Oil Sunday to see his Brand new GT500 after he picked it up from the dealer. His made the same noise as my 2007.

I have not heard anyone talk about the throbbing clutch pedal that you speak of.

Thanks for the quick reply Grabber, if the throbbing in the pedal is not normal then I guess I will have to make a trip to the dealer. I wanted to check first as I did not want to cry wolf :)

Kurtis

Update: Took it to dealer and they are replacing the whole clutch assemble and while there at it I asked them to lube the tranny slpine and shaft> I tried to have them do this after all the comotion on the early 07 not getting lubed so this will kill two birds with one stone and wont cost me a dime! My service tech just called and she's ready to be picked up......yeehaa!

Update: Took it to dealer and they are replacing the whole clutch assemble and while there at it I asked them to lube the tranny slpine and shaft> I tried to have them do this after all the comotion on the early 07 not getting lubed so this will kill two birds with one stone and wont cost me a dime! My service tech just called and she's ready to be picked up......yeehaa!

THANKS FOR THE INFO. SAVED ME A TRIP TO THE DEALER AND HAVE TO RETURN EVERYTHING TO STOCK BEFOR EDROPPING IT OFF. MY 08' HAS 700MILES ON IT AND MAKES THE SAME SOUND. ANNOYING, ISN'T IT. SEEMS TO ME , THEY COULD HAVE ENGINEERED A FIX FOR IT INSTEAD OF JUST CHALKING IT UP TO " NORMAL" SOUND.

omg people, not trying to be a jerk here but we have factory cars with 500 HP, they have a new Tremec built TR-6060 tranny, one of the best trannys ever built. They are made to handle insane amounts of power with heavy duty gears, same with the clutch and everything, theyre gonna make noise. I also have a 580 hp fox body with a tko 600 and a centerforce dual friction, and it makes a heck of a lot more noise than my shelby. my tci c4 auto behind my 408w in my 69 makes more noise than the shelby. its perfectly normal and theres not gonna be a fix for it. again, not trying to sound like a jerk, thats just the way it is.

Archived