TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Owners of Kenne Bell, Paxton, and Wipple Superchargers

April 23, 2008

Attention Shelby Owners - IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Owners of Kenne Bell, Paxton, and Wipple superchargers

This information has to do with the Ford recall notice with respect to passenger side airbag. If you decide to take your car into your Ford dealership for this recall, they will need to tap into your vehicle's computer to correct the problem. They will need to re-program the RCM (Restraint Control Module). It takes them a very short period of time and you should be on your way without incident.

Here is where it gets tricky. If by accident the technician goes into the PCM (Power Control Module) instead of the RCM, they will essentially replace your existing power tune with whatever is in their programming module. If you have a Kenne Bell, Wipple, or Paxton Supercharger, then you have a vendor-unique tune. If the technician accidentally wipes out your unique tune, Ford cannot re-program it without obtaining the unique vendor program direct from the supercharger vendor.

If you encounter the worst case scenario, and your program gets wiped out, have your Ford dealer contact Shelby Automobiles Inc. directly. We in turn will work between the Ford dealership and the respective supercharger vendor to insure that they receive the tune needed to re-flash your PCM. DO NOT have the Ford dealership contact the supercharger vendor directly. The MUST contact Shelby at the following telephone number:

Shelby Automobiles Inc.

(702) 942-7325

. Doug Sinclair (ext. 105)

. Bud Mahoney (ext. 140)

. Donnie Beson (ext. 145)

Please take this communication to the Ford dealer if you are intending to act on the passenger side airbag recall notice.

Donnie Beson

Director of Sales

Shelby Automobiles Inc.

DEALER TECHNICIANS -- ATTENTION:

BEFORE plugging IDS into the DLC of this vehicle, please be sure you have your IDS software updated to version 53.12 P20 or later. This vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket PCM calibration that will identify to IDS as a stock calibration. It is CRITICAL that you DO NOT REFLASH THE PCM of this vehicle under any circumstances. Engine failure WILL result, for which the dealer will be held responsible. If IDS informs you that a later calibration is available, do NOT flash the vehicle. Any PCM calibration updates necessary will be handled by Shelby Automobiles Inc. Also, if a PCM replacement is deemed necessary for any reason, prior authorization must be obtained from Shelby Automobiles Inc.

Thank you, -Jeff. IMHO, this 411 is important to us all.

IMHO, even N/A SGTs may be affected because they have a custom Shelby tune as well.

Do you agree?

I honestly don't know nor am I qualified to say. I did wonder the same thing.

This goes back to the issue of the tune/flash discussed ad nauseam already. I for one will be placing the info [sticker] on my car regardless. Since no answer has yet been forthcoming I guess it's better safe than sorry!

Maybe Bud will chime in.

It won't run with the FRPP cold air kit and a stock tune so yes I would take this notice with me on a naturally aspirated car as well.Someone here should call SAI and find out how hard it is for the ealer to get the FRPP tune from them if they screw one up.Then you N/A guys would know the worst case scenario.

Shelbypilot,

Will your tuner reflash from a stock GT tune instead of the Shelby tune ? If a dealership should happen to replace then I thought if you went and tried to put your custom tune back on that the tuner would not be recoginzed.

I already had my SGT in for this recall work. . . . . .

If I was able to drive away that day - am I to assume that my SAI tune was not affected by this recall?

I read above that with the FRPP cold air kit - the engine would not run on a 'stock GT' tune. . . . . . .

So since I was able to drive away that day - I'm fine. . . . . . . . . right?

I suppose that I should know this bit of information since I'm planning a 2000 mile road trip from Minneapolis to Quantum Performance and back at the end of May. . . . . . .

Thoughts?

Trevor

I already had my SGT in for this recall work. . . . . .

If I was able to drive away that day - am I to assume that my SAI tune was not affected by this recall?

I read above that with the FRPP cold air kit - the engine would not run on a 'stock GT' tune. . . . . . .

So since I was able to drive away that day - I'm fine. . . . . . . . . right?

I suppose that I should know this bit of information since I'm planning a 2000 mile road trip from Minneapolis to Quantum Performance and back at the end of May. . . . . . .

Thoughts?

Trevor

The car would not run with a stock Gt tune in it.....

If it did manage to start, i would run horrible..........

I honestly don't know nor am I qualified to say. I did wonder the same thing.

This goes back to the issue of the tune/flash discussed ad nauseam already. I for one will be placing the info [sticker] on my car regardless. Since no answer has yet been forthcoming I guess it's better safe than sorry!

Maybe Bud will chime in.

Good idea but,

If you place the sticker by the port, No technician will see it. I do re-flashes and module programs all the time at my dealership. I get in the vehicle with connector in hand from my hand held device and just feel for the port and plug in and go. Unless someone moved the port on me and i had to get down and look under the knee panel to see where it may have been moved too (Unlikely moved though), i would never see any sticker.

To expand a little on this, Maybe a larger card or something that you would hang from the mirror once you arived at the dealership and the tech for sure would see and then after service could be placed in your glove box.

Just a thought Jeff..............

Good idea but,

If you place the sticker by the port, No technician will see it. I do re-flashes and module programs all the time at my dealership. I get in the vehicle with connector in hand from my hand held device and just feel for the port and plug in and go. Unless someone moved the port on me and i had to get down and look under the knee panel to see where it may have been moved too (Unlikely moved though), i would never see any sticker.

To expand a little on this, Maybe a larger card or something that you would hang from the mirror once you arived at the dealership and the tech for sure would see and then after service could be placed in your glove box.

Just a thought Jeff..............

See how unqualified I am!

I suspect you are right...and a laminated card that can be presented to the service manager and hung up?

Why can't this be easy!

Hey...what if I taped up the problem connector? Is that possible?

Shelbypilot,

Will your tuner reflash from a stock GT tune instead of the Shelby tune ? If a dealership should happen to replace then I thought if you went and tried to put your custom tune back on that the tuner would not be recoginzed.

The tune is from the stock tune. The PCM has to be reprogrammed to the the stock tune when you install the supercharger and it's tune. So I was told.

I'm thinking a Performer RPM Air gap manifold with a carburetor and an MSD ignition would really make these things easier,No more flashing tunes :hysterical:

No Kidding!

I my self was thinking of a Hilborn injection set up my self. 8 stacks just bearly sticking out of the hood and mybe a clear scoop to see them, or , no scoop at all.....

efi_clip_image006.jpg

I got an e-mail from Team Shelby explaining the complications and flash process, so, I printed that and I'll hand it to the service manager when I bring the car in. Maybe a second copy for the wrench?

This flash programming has been a topic of discussion here for some time, and it's nice to see some of you guys learning more about it all.

No Kidding!

I my self was thinking of a Hilborn injection set up my self. 8 stacks just bearly sticking out of the hood and mybe a clear scoop to see them, or , no scoop at all.....

efi_clip_image006.jpg

Now that is a nice set-up and gets rid of the scoop issue for sure!

Now that is a nice set-up and gets rid of the scoop issue for sure!

I was picturing it sticking out the hood with a nice modernish Shelby Cobra air cleaner or a "Clear" Shelby hood scoop so it was visible and the scoop would be functional......

Man would that be sweet.....................

deffinitly with that application i would run filters also. :) Im not sure on how street friendly that set is but, just for shi_s and giggles i emailed them for more info. There was a GT350 at the BB car show that had the 4 webber set up and it was bitchen looking and it had a small filter/screen on each stack. looked awsome..............

JEFF:

Thanks for that awesome write up...I've been waiting to take mine in for the RCM update, but I have not felt comfortable getting any work done on my 08 SGT since the first time I took it in for a simple oil change and they over filled the oil thinking it was a GT500. :censored:

This is exactly what I needed to hand to the technician and the mechanic, and feel better that it won't get messed up.

Thanks again for looking out for everyone.

Andy.

Archived