TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Beaten to death, but - what will the GT500KR really sell for?

ctann

Hi all,

Well, it looks like timing is perfect for buying a GT500. Gas prices are soaring, money is tight, and inventories are building... I have already been offered a GT500 @ MSRP, as well as Roushes @ MSRP-6k, and good deals on Saleens too...

So how does this translate to the GT500KR? There are a _lot_ of highpo Fords out there right now, if you add all the GT500's, Saleens and Roushes up. And there are a limited number of collectors that are going to throw down a large chunk of change for what is really not *all* that collectable (compare to Saleen E's for example, with only a few hundred made each year). There is a lot of choice out there, and it looks like the market is reaching saturation.

Now, I don't want to argue MSRP or "worth" here, so lets not dispute the GT500KR MSRP - it is what it is. I guess what I am really trying to figure out, is just what a dealer is going to sell a GT500KR for - i.e. what sort of ADM they're really going to get. The "standard" number that gets thrown around is $180k. I think we can all agree that that is laughable - there may be a handfull of wealthy collectors willing to put down that sort of money, but I bet there are far fewer than 1000 (or 1500 if you add the 2009 production in). SO, the lovely GT500KR is going to sit on the floor, acting as a very expensive advertisment...

I personally think that Ford ate most of the Dealer's ADM with the high MSRP, and even at an ADM of only $20k, the car is expensive. So what do people think, are delaers going to let these go with an ADM of $20k once the dust settles? Or perhaps even less?

I'm willing to buy one at MSRP, although that will be tough. Every dollar over MSRP makes it a little less likely that I will buy one, and a little more likely I'll get a "regular" GT500.

As I said, this has been done to death, but given the current market for the cars (every Ford dealer in my town has at least a couple of GT500s on the lot, with more on the way), I think it is worth chatting about again...

Chris.

I had a deal with a local dealer for MSRP plus $12.5K ADM on a KR. The KR just wasn't worth that kind of money for me. So, I asked for my deposit back and decided to get a GT500 instead. I just got a new 2008 Vapor/Black GT500 coupe for MSRP. The GT500 seems to be the best bang for your buck at this time. In light of our national economy, I can't imagine that very many of the KRs will sell for much more than MSRP.

FORD didn't put a high MSRP on the KR. FORD's MSRP is on the GT500 itself. The other $35K+ is coming from SAI for the KR conversion.

The lowest I have seen these offered for is $20K over and that is dealer to dealer. Some are still trying for $50K over, but I doubt that will happen.

With only 1500 to go around over two model years, I doubt they will have a problem selling them all for the $20K over. So MSRP is just wishful thinking. To many dealers willing to buy them up for mare than that.

I had a deal with a local dealer for MSRP plus $12.5K ADM on a KR. The KR just wasn't worth that kind of money for me. So, I asked for my deposit back and decided to get a GT500 instead. I just got a new 2008 Vapor/Black GT500 coupe for MSRP. The GT500 seems to be the best bang for your buck at this time. In light of our national economy, I can't imagine that very many of the KRs will sell for much more than MSRP.

I would have taken that deal. As a dealer I could have made $8K - $10K on that since there wouldn't be any tax involved.

As usual it will go to the highest bidder that

can justify spending 90-100K for a mustang.

Most dealers will tell you they don't even want

to see the car on their lot. They want to make

a quick buck when the speculation is high. Ford

only has the normal GT500 Coupe dealer invoice

and the rest is SAI. There is also transportation

costs that are now going way up due to fuel cost.

Approximate dealer cost 43-45K and double the

cost for SAI and the price is approx. 87-90K.

Wow that will buy (2) 08 GT500 cars. I had to

pass on a KR 10K over. The dealer then sold it

to a guy in Canada who liked the deal at 10K over.

You can buy a 2007 and do the 40th Anniv Super

Snake with 725HP for a total of 75K including the

car plus shipping. Just my .02c

YOU CHOSE WISELY! Have fun and drive the wheels off of it!

I would have taken that deal. As a dealer I could have made $8K - $10K on that since there wouldn't be any tax involved.

I passed because I buy cars to add them to my collection and enjoy them for many years to come. I don't just buy cars to curb them the next day and gouge the next guy. Don't get me wrong, I really like the shelby GT500 and recently bought one. But there really are too many other great cars out there for over $90K. For that kind of money I would rather buy a second 911. I personally think that the KR does not offer very much value for its price. It will be interesting to see how many of these cars are sitting in dealer inventory after their production cycle ends and what kind of deals people will be getting at that time. I think that MSRP deals on the KR in the future are possible. Only time will tell.....

I passed because I buy cars to add them to my collection and enjoy them for many years to come. I don't just buy cars to curb them the next day and gouge the next guy. Don't get me wrong, I really like the shelby GT500 and recently bought one. But there really are too many other great cars out there for over $90K. For that kind of money I would rather buy a second 911. I personally think that the KR does not offer very much value for its price. It will be interesting to see how many of these cars are sitting in dealer inventory after their production cycle ends and what kind of deals people will be getting at that time. I think that MSRP deals on the KR in the future are possible. Only time will tell.....

There will be very very few left on the lots. Most of these cars are presold. I think they will come down off the 150K, but you will not see them sitting around lots late in 2008. Just dont think theres enough of them for the folks that want them.

michael morris

There will be very very few left on the lots. Most of these cars are presold. I think they will come down off the 150K, but you will not see them sitting around lots late in 2008. Just dont think theres enough of them for the folks that want them.

michael morris

999 are still available. :hysterical:

Wow that is 1% of total production.

I bet the phone lines are quiet.

THESE CARS WILL SELL AND NONE WILL BE ON THE LOT, MSRP IS THE WAY TO GO IF YOU CAN FIND IT OR WAIT AS I THINK THESE HIGH ADMS WILL PLUMMET WITH GAS PRICES SOARING OUT OF CONTROL ( BIG OIL IN WHITE HOUSE ), THE ECONOMY IS AWEFUL. THE 900 AVAILABLE WILL SELL EITHER AT MSRP OR HIGHER BUT THEY WILL SELL.

THESE CARS WILL SELL AND NONE WILL BE ON THE LOT, MSRP IS THE WAY TO GO IF YOU CAN FIND IT OR WAIT AS I THINK THESE HIGH ADMS WILL PLUMMET WITH GAS PRICES SOARING OUT OF CONTROL ( BIG OIL IN WHITE HOUSE ), THE ECONOMY IS AWEFUL. THE 900 AVAILABLE WILL SELL EITHER AT MSRP OR HIGHER BUT THEY WILL SELL.

I usually don't gamble but I'd be willing to bet

"Choppy Waters Are Ahead". I am in the heavy

manufacturing sector and it is worse than most

people are aware of. All are Fortune 500 companies

and have a variety of major hurdles to overcome.

I am in the same line of work and went through the

1979 to 1982 recession. This one will be much tougher.

Lets see were the market is in 60 days. It will be ugly.

And you are right on about the gas prices! Its not

the gas to drive the KR its the overall impact of

rising costs in every facet of our economy and fixed expenses.

Not gloom and doom just reality.

OK, so I started this thread so I could get a good feeling for where the market will be when my GT500KR finally "lands". I call it "my" GT500KR, but final price is not negotiated yet - hence my interest in "market price"!

Now I know eBay is not a particularly good resource, but I have watched it with some interest. Scads of GT500KRs being advertised, and none of them are attracting any attention north of $100k. Today, two were listed with "Buy It Now" of $97,950. The ads look genuine, but then again, its eBay, so I take it with a grain of salt. It doesn't say if that includes the Gas Guzzler tax, but the car does have Nav, which I believe puts it in the range of around $82k MSRP - so an ADM of around $15k or so.

This kind of backs up my thinking. I think the "$100k" figure carries a lot of mental connotations. Paying over $100k for a car seems like a much bigger deal than paying under $100k. I think that figure will be a watershed point for the KR.

Anyway, I have a pretty clear of what *I* am willing to pay - no I just have to keep my fingers crossed that the market (and the dealer) agree with me...

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was at Galpin Ford this weekend and spoke to a salesman friend of mine. He said Galpin is getting 12 GT500KRs. They have pre-sold 3 so far at $100k over MSRP. Even if that is BS, I imagine they are getting something close to that amount. A little crazy if you ask me, but if people are willing to pay that much, then dealers will continue to get ADMs.

I think you are correct. The high price and ADM on a new KR make a GT500 a much better buy and don't hurt the value of a GT500 either.

Archived