TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What about spec'g your GT500 for max value

68fastback

This is a screwy idea I've been wondering about for some time:

The most valuable (sometimes much more valuable) classic cars are the oddball-optioned ones.

If I wasn't buying a GT500 because I love it and was doing it primarily for collector value, I'd order it with an odd-ball (nice) color. You can special order most any vehicle with most any color. You'll just pay dearly for it and will have to wait a long time -- like the end of the year's production. Has that changed?

Are there any other odd-ball items (besides color) that can be special ordered? I'd bet you could have a special order written for a GT500 with V-6 rear seat -- anything that ca just substitute. With the proper order documentation, such a car would be much more valuable int he future.

This sounds silly to us enthusiasts, but 40 years from now it could be the diff between a $500K car and a $2M car at auction (if that's what you're into).

And it's true not just for cars. Lionel train collectors know that the ugliest 1950s engines are the most valuable, because very few were sold and no more were made as a result. The exact same engines painted with another railroad's colors are worth a tiny fraction of the ugly one.

Anyhow, just some thoughts to :stirpot: but I guarantee there's someone out there planning to do this.

Makes me wonder where those few 427 '68 mustangs went -- the ones most books don't even know about (some do) because Ford 'forgot' they actually built some. Or the '69 schoolbus-mustard CJ a guy in the NYC area special-ordered just for a laugh (yeah, black accents too).

Any insight from dealers on what can be special ordered these days, regardless of cost or wait time?

Anyone have any bright ideas on what special-order substitutions might actually be cool (besides paint)?

I guarantee this will make your GT500 the rarest of them all...

Spec in the std Mustang's V6 and the standard interior. :doh: Talk about a premium in 20 years!! :kuko:

Hey, there's the ticket!

You could buy a brand new V6 Mustang with no ADM and order a $200 signed glovebox from CS for it.

Then, 20 years from now, sell it as the "only" GT500 with the rare "GT500 delete" option and make a f :censored: ing fortune!

Yeah, that's the ticket....

A big-time movie producer, yeah...

Mike.

I wonder if one enterprising soul(your better term here), could take advantage of Fords mobility program for physically challenged folks and order a factory automatic. Bet if you threatened some one enough you could get it done. (not that I think anyone should dare, but it would be the sort of person that parks in a mobility space while getting a double frappachino, becuse they are late for a dog grooming appt.)

I ordered mine with the trialer tow package and an 8 track tape player.

:hysterical2:

You forgot those fold down wheels ...so you can ride on the rails....

Wanna buy any 8-tracks?

I wonder if one enterprising soul(your better term here), could take advantage of Fords mobility program for physically challenged folks and order a factory automatic. Bet if you threatened some one enough you could get it done. (not that I think anyone should dare, but it would be the sort of person that parks in a mobility space while getting a double frappachino, becuse they are late for a dog grooming appt.)

If that were possible it would likely make it the most valuable GT500 made! Seriously. Of course, who would want it out side of a museum... and that's why it would be worth a small fortune in the future. Someone will do something like this.

-------------

I'm still chuckling on Phantom's V6 with GT500 delete option...

A+ Phantom

Archived