TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why use a trailer when you can DRIVE???

Why does everyone rent a trailer to TOW a GT500 to Shelby for the conversion. If you're going to drive there anyway, why not DRIVE THE ACTUAL GT-500?

That's what I would do. Drive it there, drop it off fly back. When ready fly to Vegas and drive it back to Virginia.

Why does everyone rent a trailer to TOW a GT500 to Shelby for the conversion. If you're going to drive there anyway, why not DRIVE THE ACTUAL GT-500?

That's what I would do. Drive it there, drop it off fly back. When ready fly to Vegas and drive it back to Virginia.

I want to haul my parts back with me. So trailer it there. Leave the trailer, fly or drive back and then pick up the car and the parts.

Forgot one thing, I live in Canada so the cost to ship parts, damage that may be caused and a small issue with a transport company crossing the boarder make me haul it.

Al

I didn't want to put 3600 miles on the car for one trip. The plan was to trailer it up and drive it back. Bad weather in Feb caused me to trailer it back. I didn't want to take a chance of poor road conditions on the 1800 mile trip home. So, I took my time and everything arrived just the way I wanted it to.

I want to haul my parts back with me. So trailer it there. Leave the trailer, fly or drive back and then pick up the car and the parts.

My original thought was to drive both ways, but 2 things came to light. First, there's been a number of problems getting the parts back. Second, Bud at SAI says that you can only drive 25 miles, then the rear end needs a total cool down. Repeat a number of times. That will just make the trip too long, and is easier done at home.

My contact at Canada Customs also says it's much easier explaining everything (i.e. all those parts) if you have them with you when coming back with the car.

I bought the car in Vegas and drove it back, so that's not a problem. Besides, SAI is only 4 blocks away from my house...

Block 1 is 3 miles,

block 2 is 15 miles,

and block 3 is 1,300 miles - that's the big one! :hysterical3:

I have a question,

Why would the rear end need to have a cool down? Is it not getting replaced with complete OEM FORD 3.73 geared rear end?

I thought they were replacing the whole thing and not doing a gear swap only.

You don't have to do that on a new vehicle, why would you need to do it on this?

Maybe I'm missing something. If I am please enlighten me.

I have a question,

Why would the rear end need to have a cool down? Is it not getting replaced with complete OEM FORD 3.73 geared rear end?

I thought they were replacing the whole thing and not doing a gear swap only.

You don't have to do that on a new vehicle, why would you need to do it on this?

Maybe I'm missing something. If I am please enlighten me.

I thinks it's just the innards. Here's the quote from Bud...

"Now, I know that everybody who is having the 605hp S/C and the 725 S/C installed are thriiled to death and can not wait to rip up the road as soon as they recieve the vehicle---but please, try to keep in mind that these items do need a little bit of time to break in. Also, with adding the 3:73 rear gear set, that HAS to break in too!!!!!! What they are recomending is to do 4-5 sets of "cold" starts. This means----drive the vehicle "normally" for about 25 miles. Then let the vehicle sit and COMPLETELY cool down, then drive another 25 miles and repeat the process. This will help the gear set break in properly. If not, you may damage the gear set. We would also recomend to "try" and break in the vehicle for at least 100-200 miles. I know that many will probably want to get it out and see what she does---that's fine, but "try" to break it in before you "break" it "

It's in the Sticky "Do's and Don'ts" that Bud started. That's all I know...

I thinks it's just the innards. Here's the quote from Bud...

"Now, I know that everybody who is having the 605hp S/C and the 725 S/C installed are thriiled to death and can not wait to rip up the road as soon as they recieve the vehicle---but please, try to keep in mind that these items do need a little bit of time to break in. Also, with adding the 3:73 rear gear set, that HAS to break in too!!!!!! What they are recomending is to do 4-5 sets of "cold" starts. This means----drive the vehicle "normally" for about 25 miles. Then let the vehicle sit and COMPLETELY cool down, then drive another 25 miles and repeat the process. This will help the gear set break in properly. If not, you may damage the gear set. We would also recomend to "try" and break in the vehicle for at least 100-200 miles. I know that many will probably want to get it out and see what she does---that's fine, but "try" to break it in before you "break" it "

It's in the Sticky "Do's and Don'ts" that Bud started. That's all I know...

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have to do some more checking into this as now my curiosity is aroused. :superhero:

Well I went back and found this update.

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23246

I also remember Amy saying that the entire differential would be replaced and not just the gears.

I'm starting to think that has changed and that they are just changing the gears now.

That's the only real way it makes sense to me anyway. But I've been wrong before and I'm sure I will again soon enough :D

I also remember Amy saying that the entire differential would be replaced and not just the gears.

I'm starting to think that has changed and that they are just changing the gears now.

That's the only real way it makes sense to me anyway. But I've been wrong before and I'm sure I will again soon enough :D

MM or SG should know if it's new gears or complete differential. I think it's just new gears?

• this package is subject to change without notice

They are only changing the gears. I got my 3.31's back in the FRPP Racing 3.73 box. This changed from the original plan of changing the entire unit. JW explained why to me at one point, but I' can't recall. Senior moment stuff, I guess.

They are only changing the gears. I got my 3.31's back in the FRPP Racing 3.73 box. This changed from the original plan of changing the entire unit. JW explained why to me at one point, but I' can't recall. Senior moment stuff, I guess.

Thanks Cobrafan. I'm sure it's alot cheaper to replace just the gears then the whole unit.

• 1 month later...

linvx,

That's what my wife and I did when we took our car out for the 40th Anniversary package. Ohio to Vegas, Vegas to Ohio--what a blast! Too many people think they will see some "increased" collectability/value if they keep the miles low--maybe in 40 years....

Stuart

GT500 doesn't hold me, the wife, the kid and all of our luggage. That and I'm going to try and take both cars at the same time to save on the gas/time spent driving from Texas to Vegas.

#1 reason!

GT500 doesn't hold me, the wife, the kid and all of our luggage.

#2 reason! 2000 miles one way.

Archived