TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Vacuum Pump (mechanical) to support the brake booster

I am running a stroked out 351W (408) in a 67 Mustang fastback with stock power brakes. Top end is the Edelbrock Performer RMP package. (heads, intake, cam, carb.)

The current engine vacuum is running at 13-14 while ideling.

I had purchase an electric vacuum pump from SSBC, but really can't stand the noise when it kicks on and off.

Isn't there a stock Ford "mechanical" pump I can hook up, much "like a" power steering pump, etc, that would run off the v-belt to create more vacuum for better brake feel?? If so, please share the details so I know what to buy and what's involved.

Thanks!

I am running a stroked out 351W (408) in a 67 Mustang fastback with stock power brakes. Top end is the Edelbrock Performer RMP package. (heads, intake, cam, carb.)

The current engine vacuum is running at 13-14 while ideling.

I had purchase an electric vacuum pump from SSBC, but really can't stand the noise when it kicks on and off.

Isn't there a stock Ford "mechanical" pump I can hook up, much "like a" power steering pump, etc, that would run off the v-belt to create more vacuum for better brake feel?? If so, please share the details so I know what to buy and what's involved.

Thanks!

I have a high lift cam in my 72 Bronco and I had to install a vacuum accumlater tank in order to maintain sufficent vacuum for the brake booster to work properly, perhaps you could give that a try.

Archived