TEAM SHELBY FORUM

When you wash your car......

do you have to wait until the engine completely cools? Mine will need her 1st bath soon and I was wondering since the hood vents dump right on the motor.

Thanks,

Bruce

NO!

I wash my when it is hot. I rinse the motor off first, then wash the rest of the car while the motor is drying. Then wipe down everything under the hood last.

I don't SOAK the motor down with water, I just spray it off quickly while it is hot then wipe it down after washing the car.

Don't laugh, but I learned this tricl from my Corvette Forum.....I use a 220 mph leaf blower to dry my cars! Use the electric type of course, and just be carefull to not hit the car with the tip of the blower....You will be shocked what a b=good job it does.....

I would also suggest buying one and dedicate it to the use of only being used on your cars......you don't want to be using one that has been used in the suction mode of leafs & debris! :stop:

NO!

I wash my when it is hot. I rinse the motor off first, then wash the rest of the car while the motor is drying. Then wipe down everything under the hood last.

I don't SOAK the motor down with water, I just spray it off quickly while it is hot then wipe it down after washing the car.

I have a thought here if i may...won't heat and water dry out the plastics and tubes and age them faster?

I have a thought here if i may...won't heat and water dry out the plastics and tubes and age them faster?

Don't know. I talked to one of master techs asking to make sure it was OK to spray the motor down with water and he told me it wouldn't hurt it and to do it while the motor was hot that it would rinse any grease and dirt off easier.

I've been doing it that way since I have had the car and so far it hasn't hurt anything. I don't do it everytime I wash the car, but probably about once every 4 - 6 weeks during the months of being able to drive it.

I've probably washed the engine 8 - 10 times now since having it.

I always allow the engine to cool down before I wash the car. My main concern was getting cold water on hot brake rotors - don't really know if it is an issue but just a precaution I take. I plug the heat extractors before I wash to keep water out of the engine bay - some water still gets in but I follow-up and wipe down the engine with a damp micro-fiber towel.

I never wash my car in direct sunlight - it heats up the paint and IMO makes it more succeptible to swirl marks. So far I don't have any swirls on my Vista Blue paint.

Plugging the holes leads me to question 2: Think as a normal person not as a car nut,

If you're driving it in a downpour, the water is just going straight to the motor anyhow,, right?

Bruce

Right - shouldn't hurt anything.

Plugging the holes leads me to question 2: Think as a normal person not as a car nut,

If you're driving it in a downpour, the water is just going straight to the motor anyhow,, right?

Bruce

I'll bet most of us won't drive our cars if there's a cloud in the sky. :D

I'll bet most of us won't drive our cars if there's a cloud in the sky. :D

I'll bet most if not all of our cars have been exposed to either rain, snow, sleet or ice before we ever took delivery of them.

They are all transported on open transports and many have sat in lots for days, weeks and even months before reaching the dealerships. Somewhere along the way most or all of them have been through some type of bad weather.

Everyone that went to Shelby Fest last weekend ALL got rained on during the weekend.

Rain isn't going to hurt them. If you ever wash the car where do you think that water comes from?

It's the salt you want to avoid.

I'll bet most if not all of our cars have been exposed to either rain, snow, sleet or ice before we ever took delivery of them.

They are all transported on open transports and many have sat in lots for days, weeks and even months before reaching the dealerships. Somewhere along the way most or all of them have been through some type of bad weather.

Everyone that went to Shelby Fest last weekend ALL got rained on during the weekend.

Rain isn't going to hurt them. If you ever wash the car where do you think that water comes from?

It's the salt you want to avoid.

I bet EVERY one of our cars went through wash/leak test at the plant before it was released.

In my case, I try not to wash in the direct sun as the water dries too fast...typically leaving spots/streaks and I heard that was bad for any wax that was on there as well. (something about paint shock too?) Otherwise, getting water anywhere on the outside of the car is expected and won't hurt it.

Of course, making sure the water is wiped off is a good idea so that it looks perfect when you are done. Nothing worse then spending all the time cleaning it, just to have a ton of water come spraying out of the vents as you head down the highway... :banghead:

Don't laugh, but I learned this tricl from my Corvette Forum.....I use a 220 mph leaf blower to dry my cars! Use the electric type of course, and just be carefull to not hit the car with the tip of the blower....You will be shocked what a b=good job it does.....

I would also suggest buying one and dedicate it to the use of only being used on your cars......you don't want to be using one that has been used in the suction mode of leafs & debris! :stop:

A dedicated electric leaf blower is a good idea , get most of the water out from vents , grills , window seams , doors and mirrors . Also helps to use treated water if you have hard water in your area .

Don't know if I should be over here on the o8 site but I have never used water to wash my car. This may be hard to believe but take a look at Wet Paints web site (www.wetpaintglaze.com). The only water that I have used has been to wash the wheels to clean off the brake dust cleaner. I have a black vert. no swirl marks and have been using this product since last May.

A dedicated electric leaf blower is a good idea , get most of the water out from vents , grills , window seams , doors and mirrors . Also helps to use treated water if you have hard water in your area .

Get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/FORCE-BLASTER-METROP...7746&sr=8-5

I bought one at my Harley dealer to blow my bikes dry, but it works very well for the Shelby too. Blows ridiculously hard and the air is filtered (unlike a leaf blower) so it will not sand blast your car.

I love this thing. We have extremely hard water here, but I have yet to get a water spot. This thing works like a champ!

Later,

Scott

I can attest to the favorable comments about the "Master Blaster"! This is easily the best car care accessory I have ever bought! It cuts drying time down to next to nothing, and gets all the water out of every nook and cranny -- even out of the area behind the rear view mirrors.

I use it on my wife's black Shelby GT with excellent results -- no water spots!

This is the model I bought: Master Blaster

Scott

I can attest to the favorable comments about the "Master Blaster"! This is easily the best car care accessory I have ever bought! It cuts drying time down to next to nothing, and gets all the water out of every nook and cranny -- even out of the area behind the rear view mirrors.

I use it on my wife's black Shelby GT with excellent results -- no water spots!

This is the model I bought: Master Blaster

Scott

Wow these also packaged as pet dryers used by dog groomers! Never thought of using one on my car. The great thing about it is I can purchase one through my business and justify it as an expense!

:happy feet:

Wow these also packaged as pet dryers used by dog groomers! Never thought of using one on my car. The great thing about it is I can purchase one through my business and justify it as an expense!

:happy feet:

Is there a reason not to use a gas powered blower??

Is there a reason not to use a gas powered blower??

Exhaust fumes, 2 cycle smoke, chance of a fuel spill from the vent in the cap....I lift my electric blower over the roof, trunk and fenders to reach everything......

You could try it....but I wouldn't. :redcard:

I usually wash the car when it's warm. I'll wash the exterior, then lift the hood and wipe down the engine compartment with a dry rag. The rag will moisten when drying areas that got wet during the wash. There's no need to wash the engine with water if done this way. I even wipe clean the door jambs, sills, trunk lid, and opening.

• 3 weeks later...

Had mine since Aug. 07, and never had a drop of water on it yet (except wheels). Wipe the dust of with a California Duster, put a good detail spray on it, then wipe off with a micro fiber cloth. As for engine, I wipe it as soon as I see any dirt. Wheels I spray a cleaner on and then wipe off, rinse with a soft sponge and water.

I take mine to the car wash. Am I the only person who admits to doing this? It costs me 20 bucks for a hand wash and vacuum. Well worth it imo. Yea I do some detailing with my cars, but for the most part, I pay the 20 bucks.

I take mine to the car wash. Am I the only person who admits to doing this? It costs me 20 bucks for a hand wash and vacuum. Well worth it imo. Yea I do some detailing with my cars, but for the most part, I pay the 20 bucks.

Not at all. I either wash my GT500 at the car wash or at home, (more often at the car wash because their no-spot water is better than mine). I make sure that I spray the brush down real well so there's no leftover crap in it from the last guy, and I'm careful about using it too. I tried the ICE car wash last weekend. It claims to not leave spots...B.S.! But it works well with the Mr. Clean water filter for the rinse. I then use a microfiber towel to dry it off. Works like a charm.

My car is also a daily driver, so it goes through the rain with me. I have also sprayed the engine and compartment without worry.

Unless it's really dirty I don't hit it with water. The leaf blower is a good idea but being a motorcycle nut for years I use a motorcycle dryer to first blow the dust and loose dirt off then Eagle one to detail then a california duster to finish off. Keep in mind this is between the times I use the meguires 3 step Clean, Polish, Wax system.

In the rare case that I do wash her, I dry with the Air Force Blaster use Eagle One detailer to bring back the shine.

Here's a link to the Air Force Blaster: http://www.motorcycledryer.com/productpage.asp

Archived