TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cross country purchase

Dad's72Mach

Couple questions for those of you who purchased cars out of state and had them shipped. Were you able to complete the tranaction completely remote or did you actually have to fly out to dealer. If not how did it work? What was the shipping arrangements like? Open or closed trailer? Any comments good or bad about your shipping company? What is the average airspeed of a coconut laden swallow?

TIA

P.S. All but last question WERE actually serious.

Couple questions for those of you who purchased cars out of state and had them shipped. Were you able to complete the tranaction completely remote or did you actually have to fly out to dealer. If not how did it work? What was the shipping arrangements like? Open or closed trailer? Any comments good or bad about your shipping company? What is the average airspeed of a coconut laden swallow?

TIA

You do not need to fly in to go to the dealership. They just FedEx the paper work for you to sign and you FedEx it back. Done!

As for open or enclosed, that is up to you as the buyer. You're paying the shipping so if you want enclosed get enclosed. It cost more, but is probably worth the extra protection being inside a truck VS in the open.

I went to the dealer for the delivery and paperwork, but that was my choice. Believe they would have done it remote through FedEx/fax. It was my old dealer before I moved and my family got to see the car too when I was down. Cost me 450 to have it shipped up 350 miles. Its open, but could have gotten private closed truck for more money. Dealer handled everything so not sure who the actual shipping company is.

Still waiting :banghead:

Depends on how big your coconuts are, but its only a simple matter of weight ratios. And are we talking African or European? Unlaiden speed is 42.

Andy

I ordered mine from an out of state dealer (as opposed to buying from inventory). Had the vehicle "courtesy delivered" to the fleet manager at a local dealership (personal friend whom I have done business with for years). Ultimately, no additional delivery/freight charge. Worst case, local dealer may charge you a nominal fee for this service. However, I believe the local dealer gets paid to "pda" the car for delivery anyway. I actually picked mine up at the train yard with my friend, drove it to the dealer and waited around while the the dealers mechanic prepped the car for delivery. :happy feet:

All paper work completed via fax or email. I simply wired the funds to the dealer before taking delivery. The dealer fedexed me the paper work (mso, buyers order, etc.) to get the car licensed. The whole transaction went relatively smoothly.

Bought mine in Houston, paperwork was Fed Ex, very easy!

I made an adventure of the trip and drove my F250 to Houston in 4 days from Tacoma WA.

Rented a open u-haul trailer drove to the dealership and they helped me strap it down, then met my wife at the airport and took a scenic drive home.

The only problem I had was we used the sticky plastic all over the front of the car that the dealership uses on the carpeting of the cars they get serviced, took a few hours to remove when I got home. :shrug:

Other than that it was a great tri

O,I forgot something.

I wanted to pick up the car myself to go over car. Look for any kind of damage. I went over EVERYTHING!!

I did miss the inside of the front wheels, I think they are scraped on all the GT500's.

I've bought 2 Shelbys in the last year:

1. I bought my GT-H from VA and the car ship enclosed about 1,000 miles by DAS. All paperwork was done Fed EX and funds wired before they shipped the car. It made me a little nervous to pay before I received the car. DAS did a good job shipping but it took almost 3 weeks to get the car.

2. I bought my GT 500 last week from a dealer in Kansas. They actually have their own driver and enclosed trailer and shipped the car 800 miles. They also sent all the paperwork with the driver so I gave them NOTHING until they arrived with the car. Its almost like the deal was done with a handshake. They delivered the car within 5 days of our agreement on a purchase price. I paid a little over 1k ADM which included the shipping. This deal was alot a better to me. I felt like I was in control and the car was not tossed around by a shipper. This dealer is in Kansas and has another GT 500 coming in May if anyone is interested.

SVT

My deal was with Downtown Ford in Sacramento. Completely remote. They faxed up an invoice, I wired them money, the papers came in the car (except for 1 that had to be fed ex'd up a few days later), I fed ex'd the papers back. Totally painless. (Scott was great on this sale, and I'd recommend him and his manager Ray to anybody)

The auto transport company was another matter...let's just say that the schedule they gave out wasn't even close to the reality. I don't know if this is the way all the big carriers work, but they gave out a schedule that sounded good, then just did whatever they wanted for an extra week. The truck spent the week in question running around California picking up other cars. The dealer did what they could to help keep track of it, but it was out of their hands. According to the driver (an independent) he said the big brokers routinely schedule things in this manner, just to get the business. I'd suggest a smaller carrier if you can find one.

TIA

I ordered mine from a dealer here in Hawaii. Was shipped from the factory to Kauai. On the ship, it was enclosed. Got here in mint shape, even after over 6000 miles.

TIA

Saw this posted somewhere here a while back. Just need to make sure the car will meet the emissions standards. This is from a Shelby GT if I remember right:

34.jpg

Saw this posted somewhere here a while back. Just need to make sure the car will meet the emissions standards.

Good point! Being in Mississippi though I think anything short of actively leaking plutonium is acceptable.

Thanks for all the reponses I feel much more confindent about making a remote deal if needed. Of course I'm hoping it won't come to that.

Archived