TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Interesting social observation

Chrysler held a press day at Willow Springs Raceway about two weeks ago. Since that event, they have released three (black, silver, orange) press pool cars to various car journalists, magazines, and other related automotive press agencies throughout Southern California for them to drive (beat the crap out of).

One of the pool cars was brought to last Sunday's car gathering in Calabasas CA by Edumunds.com. They brought out the orange car that day, and last night, another journalist brought the silver car out to another weekly car gathering that's held at Bob's Big Boy drive-in on Friday nights.

I made a very interesting observation that I verified with a couple of friends who were also at both gatherings.

Although both Challenger's garnered a great deal of attention as you would imagine they would, on both occiasons, when I finished parking my car and lifting the hood, almost everyone peeled off the the Challenger and crowded around the Super Snake, and essentally left the Challenger's alone until I or they left. Not such a big deal per se, but the comments from the by-standers was suprising. About 8 out of 10 by-standers commented that the Super Snake was much more bad ass looking than the Challenger, and that given the choice, most would rather have the Snake than the Challenger.

I think that the Challenger is a fine car, I absolutely do. If I had the space, I would even consider getting one in 2009, so I'm not here trying to knock it down what so ever, but I did find it suprising that the majority of the people seem to be more attracted to a year old Shelby over a brand spanking new Challenger, it must be that Shelby magic.

Of course I realize that not everyone will feel this way about the two cars. What plays in Los Angeles may be quite different in other parts of the country, so I would be courious to see what other GT500 owners observe/experience as more and more Challengers start to show up at informal car gatherings in your home towns over the next few months.

One of many things that I like about the Challenger is it's "Carbon Fiber" stripes, which I think would have looked much better on the Super Snakes instead of the FB stripes. Same thin, thick, thin stripe layout, but done with the a CF stripe instead. I believe that it would have really complemented the CF mirror covers and the CF rocker panels too.

I believe & agree with you Big E.

The car just draws a crowd. People at traffic lights just stop & stare. I have actually witnessed- 4-5 times-people almost getting in accidents because they cannot avert their eyes! :hysterical: I am serious!!! And if they don't know what it is they ask. Too funny....

Chris

I wonder if you would have had the same reaction with a stock GT500, rather than the SuperSnake. Probably not so much, but still you'd attract a following. While the GT500 has been on the street for almost 2 years, there's just not that many oot and aboot (sorry, couldn't resist :D ). The SuperSnake is totally badass, and the chrome wheels will get attention from a distance. Close up, it has everything else going for it, so car guys will be like moths to a flame. In essence, both the SS and Challenger are brand new, and I'm guessing that fewer people have heard about the SS. The curiosity alone will bring them in.

If the Challengers were 'roided up, you may have seen a different reaction. Well, maybe it just would have taken longer to move over to the SS...

I love the look of the new Challenger, especially the orange. I even thought of calling my new business "Challenger Labs" just so I could buy one to use as the company car! (Everyone I told the proposed name to disliked the name, because of the Challenger shuttle explosion, so I didn't do it). I'd love to have one of these, but it came down to the obvious choice: GT500 SS. Just like your crowd in California!

I like going to the shows to watch the people more than the cars. Many of the cars draw people who have had experiences with a similar car whether it was what they drove in high school or snuck into the drive-ins in the trunk. (I call it a flash back) or the car to them is a time machine. With the introduction of retro cars it throws a new twist.. I have 3 new model mustangs GT's each build a little different. I have a Yellow Vert that draws women and couples. Red C500 that draws young ,old, tuner guys and older generations.(just about everyone) Blue C500 built 700+ hp that draws the 20-30 yr old guys. I have showed my 07 GT500 with them and it would often just get overlooked. Once I get it back as a SS I will see if it draws as much attention as the other 3. I also have a Challenger on order "Orange" I guess by the summers end. I will be able to answer the question what draws the most attention. My guess is it will depend on who shows up, but, I have not met a car guy that does not know what a Shelby is. "Son of Gt" a GO SS Vert pulling into a cruz-in is kinda flashy no supprise you drew the crowd. You were also fresh meat. I try to never over show a car. That is one reason I have several cars. It makes it easy to keep them fresh. Here is a picture of the three waiting for their sibling to come home. "Son of Gt" I would have been in the crowd around your car also.

post-4145-1208719187_thumb.jpg

post-4145-1208719187_thumb.jpg

I like going to the shows to watch the people more than the cars. Many of the cars draw people who have had experiences with a similar car whether it was what they drove in high school or snuck into the drive-ins in the trunk. (I call it a flash back) or the car to them is a time machine. With the introduction of retro cars it throws a new twist.. I have 3 new model mustangs GT's each build a little different. I have a Yellow Vert that draws women and couples. Red C500 that draws young ,old, tuner guys and older generations.(just about everyone) Blue C500 built 700+ hp that draws the 20-30 yr old guys. I have showed my 07 GT500 with them and it would often just get overlooked. Once I get it back as a SS I will see if it draws as much attention as the other 3. I also have a Challenger on order "Orange" I guess by the summers end. I will be able to answer the question what draws the most attention. My guess is it will depend on who shows up, but, I have not met a car guy that does not know what a Shelby is. "Son of Gt" a GO SS Vert pulling into a cruz-in is kinda flashy no supprise you drew the crowd. You were also fresh meat. I try to never over show a car. That is one reason I have several cars. It makes it easy to keep them fresh. Here is a picture of the three waiting for their sibling to come home. "Son of Gt" I would have been in the crowd around your car also.

aIMG_1186.JPG

WHOA, talk about a "Mustang Ranch"! :rockon:

Archived