TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Daily Driver?

Dad's72Mach

Just wondered how many of you use your GT500's as a daily driver. I only live about 2 miles from work so I don't think there is much of a concern for me but would welcome comments anyway. If I could trade in my truck it would put me WAY closer to being able to buy the Shelby.

Mach,

I converted mine to a 40th and it's a daily driver. These cars are not collectabiles, they need to be driven. Regards.

Stuart

The weather makes the decision for me. I'll use every day as long as there is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE OF RAIN, call me anal(my wife does), but I have NEVER driven any of my toys in the rain, and will not start now. My office is nearly 25 miles home, so I'll put on 75-100 miles every day I use it. When I bought this car I made up my mind to use it, unlike some of my others that have practically no miles on them. I just love driving this car! P.S. - Being that I live in the NE, the car is stored from Oct-mid April.

Just wondered how many of you use your GT500's as a daily driver. I only live about 2 miles from work so I don't think there is much of a concern for me but would welcome comments anyway. If I could trade in my truck it would put me WAY closer to being able to buy the Shelby.

I work at home, so no commute. Yet, it is still my daily driver in my mind.

Regards,

Took delivery of mine on October 8, 2007. I have just under 2,000 miles on it but live about 6 miles from my office. I never drive it in the rain - take the Range Rover on bad weather days, which are rare in Orange County anyway....but my gas mileage is terrrible because it is all stop and go on surface streets to the office.

I have a 93 4cyl that is my daily driver. My rear bumper has already been dinged twice and I already had it replaced. Stay away from TOYOTA'S they like to get you from behind. I got it from 3 at one time just enough to get a plate impression from one of the cars.

Neither rain, sleet, snow or what ever stop me from wheeling this bad boy around! Actually the snow thing here in Birmingham stops me, just worry about those that don't know how to drive in the stuff. 14 miles one way, drove the 03 every day as well, no dings, drips or runs in it. Just have to keep your head on a swivel and leave plenty of room in front.

2 Miles, that sounds like a perfect bicycle ride to me, and I'm NO tree hugger, but if I could ride, I WOULD..

Besides, most mechanics will tell ya, the short runs like that are very hard on a car, nothing wrong with a daily driver, if you're going some distance, these cars are engineered to be driven, but I've heard time and again, start stop, no good...or is that a myth...you decide..

2 Miles, that sounds like a perfect bicycle ride to me, and I'm NO tree hugger, but if I could ride, I WOULD..

Besides, most mechanics will tell ya, the short runs like that are very hard on a car, nothing wrong with a daily driver, if you're going some distance, these cars are engineered to be driven, but I've heard time and again, start stop, no good...or is that a myth...you decide..

I split the 20 mile drive to work between the 07' GT-500 & the 70' Mach1 on days without snow or pure shit weather(7500 miles & 5000 miles respectivly last year ).Got a beater bronco for snow. Chris

The weather makes the decision for me. I'll use every day as long as there is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE OF RAIN, call me anal(my wife does), but I have NEVER driven any of my toys in the rain, and will not start now. My office is nearly 25 miles home, so I'll put on 75-100 miles every day I use it. When I bought this car I made up my mind to use it, unlike some of my others that have practically no miles on them. I just love driving this car! P.S. - Being that I live in the NE, the car is stored from Oct-mid April.

+1. I also live about 25 miles from work and use it when there is no rain in the forecast. Due to our lousy weather (winter sucks :banghead: ), it's stored from November until late April. Still, I put on over 6,000 miles in about 6 months last year. To me these are meant to be driven. It's way too much fun to let it sit in the driveway. Besides, if ever it becomes a collectible, I will be quite old by then.

My daily driver is either the 07 Tundra or the wifes 08 LS600. My GT500 is for cruising around, track events, road events and anything else I think of entering it in! It's kept in the garage and I don't drive it in the rain (Unless we're at TWS and it rains during my session causing 3 of us with GT500's to spin out on the same corner). Being Texas, we have a lot of sunshine, so it gets its usage. I work from home, so commuting isn't much of a problem. My GT500 gets more mileage than my truck does since I bought it.

Originally, I didn't plan on it being a daily driver...but its just too damn hard to resist. ~11,300 miles and counting, including a couple road trips to FL. I try to stick to "top-down" days, but rain happens....and the good thing about a vert is, the top goes up and down.

By the time these cars would be considered collector items, you probably won't be able to get gas for em anyways. So drive it!

Drive it every stinkin' day... 22 miles each way to and from work.... rain, shine, sleet or snow.... don't care... it's a car for cryin' out loud and for what I paid, I'm gonna enjoy it to the max!

I drove my Viper every day... till it had 55,000 miles on it... now it just sits since I bought Tonto (my son's name for the GT500).

Every day baby! For every day that goes by that I don't drive it, that's one day less in my life that I have to enjoy it. Cars are meant to be driven, they are not dust collectors.

As I type this, I'm in Anaheim for my daughter's cheerleading competition. And yes, I drove the GT500..

Willie

Every day baby! For every day that goes by that I don't drive it, that's one day less in my life that I have to enjoy it. Cars are meant to be driven, they are not dust collectors.

My vapor 'vert gets driven every day, rain or shine. Much more fun when it shines and the top is down. I love the envious looks from the guys driving mini-vans!

Not a daily driver. My 88 LX Coupe was my daily driver from 1987-1999, and it was modded from early on and even supercharged for the last 2 years it was my daily driver. My 99 Taurus SHO has been my daily driver since 99, and I split time among the "fun" cars. With 4 kids (including 3 aged 12 or less and living with me) a 4 door sedan with a big trunk is a necessity. Further, if I am going to court in Los Angeles or will otherwise be stuck in stop and go traffic, an automatic transmission makes life a lot easier. Weather permitting, I usually drive a "fun" car on Friday and one other day during the week.

Daily driver, as long as there is no chance of snow. Up here in Spokane, they are predicting snow all weekend, so I think I'll be polishing the headlight covers, lol.

I'm from Spokane but have lived in Hawaii the last 20 yrs. If I was still in Spokane, I wouldn't drive in the winter, but here, the weather is always great, so drive daily. Just don't have the will power to let this beauty sit here.

I drive daily. Purchased car on 2/22/2008. Have 2306 miles.

Archived