TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paxton S/C

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.................lets hear on this, I'm on the fence on this.

The Paxton does not interfere with the strut bar because it mounts to the right front side of the engine, not on top of the intake manifold.

I'll add, is it worth it? I took one of our Shelby GT forum members for a ride in my car while he was here in CA. He got a place in line with the Mod Shop the next week, has had the modification done and is loving it.

I can have the local Ford dealer install it here, that's no problem, the issue is the dyno and tune that you mentioned should be done after it's installed. I couldn't tell you anywhere in WI I could have that done. And I don't want to ship my car to Vegas, I just feel too uneasy with that.

I can have the local Ford dealer install it here, that's no problem, the issue is the dyno and tune that you mentioned should be done after it's installed. I couldn't tell you anywhere in WI I could have that done. And I don't want to ship my car to Vegas, I just feel too uneasy with that.

Where in WI are you? South of the Madison/Milwaukee line? If so, I can hook you up with a class A tuner, who can do your install too for a lot less than shop rates at a dealership. Let me know?

SergntMac@aol.com

Yes you can, but if you want GT/SC on your side stripe and a notation in the registry you have to have it done by SAI or one of their approved mod shops.

BTW...I think the Paxton is the best choice for supercharging a stock 4.6L-3V. If you buy the Paxton kit through SPP, you get a genuine Caroll Shelby signed kit. He has been the stout daddy of Paxton blowers since the '60s.

Great heritage, but more importantly, Paxton is now owned by Vortech, and I have had a lot of experience with Vortech as a company, and as an end user. IMHO, this is the WTG. Vortech's research and development is #1, and they offer a wide variety of kits for many applications. Customer service is outstanding as well.

Besides, with a centrifugal style blower kit, everything is bolt-on. No permanent changes to the engine, or engine bay. Thus, if you decide to sell the car in a year or two, you can restore it to factory N/A specs in a few hours and sell the blower kit separately and recover some of your investment in that mod.

-Mac

BTW...I think the Paxton is the best choice for supercharging a stock 4.6L-3V. If you buy the Paxton kit through SPP, you get a genuine Caroll Shelby signed kit. He has been the stout daddy of Paxton blowers since the '60s.

Great heritage, but more importantly, Paxton is now owned by Vortech, and I have had a lot of experience with Vortech as a company, and as an end user. IMHO, this is the WTG. Vortech's research and development is #1, and they offer a wide variety of kits for many applications. Customer service is outstanding as well.

Besides, with a centrifugal style blower kit, everything is bolt-on. No permanent changes to the engine, or engine bay. Thus, if you decide to sell the car in a year or two, you can restore it to factory N/A specs in a few hours and sell the blower kit separately and recover some of your investment in that mod.

-Mac

:happy feet:

Yes you can, but if you want GT/SC on your side stripe and a notation in the registry you have to have it done by SAI or one of their approved mod shops.

I'm ready to have mine put on as soon as they authorize an installer closer to Central Florida for that same reason. :banghead:

I've been wanting to start a thread on this to look at the comparisions on the Whipple and the Paxton because I'm very interested also. So..... my understanding is that the Whipple SC will not necessarily void your warranty, since it's a Ford product, what about the Paxton?

Since the sturt tower brace will not fit with the Wipple, how much of a drivability issue is that? I love the way the car handles now!

What kind of HP output can you get out of each?

I know there are discussions onthese question scattered around the threads - but that's the problem, they seem to be scattered

I'm ready to have mine put on as soon as they authorize an installer closer to Central Florida for that same reason. :banghead:

++1...I'll be next in line behind you...need a Shelby Installer closer to GA!!! :happy feet:

I want mine to reflect correctly in the Shelby Registry...and the GT/SC on the stripes!!!!!

I've been wanting to start a thread on this to look at the comparisions on the Whipple and the Paxton because I'm very interested also. So..... my understanding is that the Whipple SC will not necessarily void your warranty, since it's a Ford product, what about the Paxton?

Since the sturt tower brace will not fit with the Wipple, how much of a drivability issue is that? I love the way the car handles now!

What kind of HP output can you get out of each?

I know there are discussions onthese question scattered around the threads - but that's the problem, they seem to be scattered

DH777:

Here is a copy of a PM that Dit-It sent me on that very issue. I asked him which one he was going to go with since it appeared he was pretty sharp on these cars and had already done a lot of research.

Here are his comments....(I don't think he would mind me sharing this with everyone)

=========================================

AndyGJ,

Thanks for the compliment. I've decided on the FRPP/Whipple SC. Here's why:

1. From what been able to determine, the tune is superior to Paxton's. Not to mention that the Whipple 3.4L can handle a lot more power that it's tuned for on our 3-valves. The Paxton NOVI 1200 is pretty much close to maxed out with the Shelby specific tune that Paxton provides. Though I don't plan on making any more power than the Whipple already makes, it's nice to know the capability is there.

2. The amount of power available off idle from the positive displacement blower. My KB twin-screw supercharged 2001 Mustang GT puts out 375 lb-ft of torque at the wheel from 1800 rpm and climbs from there.

3. There are already so many FRPP parts on the Shelby GT, I want to "keep it in the family" so to speak. Even though there's a lot of heritage associated with Shelby and Paxton, I feel the Shelby GT is a Shelby-Ford Performance venture and that the history/heritage is in the making now.

4. My Shelby is destined to live the life of a blvd cruiser / stop light warrior / show car queen, therefore I want the quiet operation of a twin-screw (centrif blowers are noisier), the immediate power off the line, and the looks of the polished Whipple sitting on top of my engine.

5. Since I don't plan on taking this car to the track, I won't miss the strut tower brace.

6. The Whipple will be available a lot sooner than the Paxton.

(These are all the excuses I've made to my wife as to why we should pay for the more expensive blower. If I think of any more, I let you know )

==================================================================

Hope that helps!!

Here are his comments....(I don't think he would mind me sharing this with everyone)

No, I don't mind.

Although I fat-fingured the keyboard when I went to type in the size of the Whipple in my reason #1. I meant 2.3L.

I'm seriously thinking about going with the Kenne Bell Supercharger on my SGT. I mean if it's good enough for the Super Snake then it should be good enough for my little old SGT.

From what I've read and been told it is one of the best choices for the twin screw type SC. I can get it installed here in Tampa for around $5500 (non-intercooled) or $6500 (intercooled). Which isn't bad. I've gotten quotes from Ford for $7200 for the FRPP Whipple (intercooled). I'm just trying to decide which way to go. I like the idea of positive displacement over the centrifical blower, mainly for the low end which is more useful here in this area.

Now, if there was a South East installer that was Shelby approved, that might change my mind about the Paxton but I'm not a big fan of shipping it to Vegas just for a sticker. Now don't get me wrong, it is a cool sticker and I'm all for keeping it Shelby and resale and all that but I'm sure if I stick a Kenne Bell sticker under my Powerd By Ford people would get the idea that it's got something special under the hood.

So..... my understanding is that the Whipple SC will not necessarily void your warranty, since it's a Ford product, what about the Paxton?

Whipple is a Ford product? I have never heard of this before, are you sure?

Whipple is an Eaton company selling product for public consumption. Eaton is a company selling products strictly to manfacturers, and Ford is one of their customers along with GM and others. Whipple warranties their product, not your engine.

Products from Ford Racing are warrantied by Ford Racing as well. But, Ford Racing is not Ford Motor Company. Like Whipple, Paxton, Procharger, Vortech and Kenne Bell, the warranty offered is on their products only.

Wake up! Every blower kit will blow your warranty, period. Avoiding this is a matter of your relationship with the servicing dealer, and the degree of damage involved. Under 10 PSI has some early "nods" from FMC, depending on installer, tune and boost. Shelby agreed to these limitations, but there is no hard paper on it. Still just a "nod", so, watch your step and decide carefully. Read the small print?

I'm just trying to decide which way to go. I like the idea of positive displacement over the centrifical blower, mainly for the low end which is more useful here in this area.

Do a little more research?

Roots, TS and PD blowers have been around longer than Shelby himself, yet, he went with the Paxton centrifugal...Why?

The only place and time a Roots, TS/PD blower will win a race is the 1/8th mile drag race. In the 1/4 mile and in other styles of racing, such as road course and autoctross, they run out of breath above 5000 RPM. A centrifugal never stops. It will provide boost well past your engine's redline.

Do you want to be in the winning saddle for 660 feet? Or, a mile?

Roots, TS and PD blowers have been around longer than Shelby himself, yet, he went with the Paxton centrifugal...Why?

The only place and time a Roots, TS/PD blower will win a race is the 1/8th mile drag race. In the 1/4 mile and in other styles of racing, such as road course and autoctross, they run out of breath above 5000 RPM. A centrifugal never stops. It will provide boost well past your engine's redline.

OK - what I'm I missing here? Don't both of these SC work off of the serpentine belt? If so would not one revolution equal one turn of the SC? Or is the Paxton free spinning? If one turn equals one turn then positive displacement means one turn is going to move X amount of air and centrifugal would vary; but never be as efficient as a positive displacement. I'm not an expert on superchargers, but I do know that they are essentially air pumps. I do know water pumps very well - it's not the same thing - but reasonably close. So what am I missing? :headscratch::headscratch:

Wake up! Every blower kit will blow your warranty, period.

I would really like to know how true this is. I was told that the Ford product would not void any warranties if installed by a Ford dealer (I don't know how Shelby fits into that). But once again this is what I was told - who actually has done this and knows for sure?

Every blower voids warranty, period? That is an ill informed statement. Both of my cars have been modded through SAI and both of my cars are still under full factory warranty.

I have taken them into my local ford dealer for the airbag recall as well as some other minor issues, and both of my cars were accepted and all repairs were covered under warranty.

My local dealer has seen and been in my Super Snake (they love it), and they are in the process of ordering a clutch and transmission in order to resolve the shifting issue that has been discussed at length elsewhere, and that work will be done under warranty too.

Let's recap: 2 SAI modded cars both with full factory warranty; period.

Wake up! Every blower kit will blow your warranty, period. Avoiding this is a matter of your relationship with the servicing dealer, and the degree of damage involved. Under 10 PSI has some early "nods" from FMC, depending on installer, tune and boost. Shelby agreed to these limitations, but there is no hard paper on it. Still just a "nod", so, watch your step and decide carefully. Read the small print?

Me thinks you need to do some research before making a statement like that. There ARE superchargers that dont blow your warranty (MANY for that matter) - Saleen, Roush, Magnuson, Ford Racing.

Here is the warranty on the FRPP supercharger - which comes WITH a warranty

http://www.fordracingparts.com/warranty/FO...Y_STATEMENT.pdf

There are 3/36 warranties available for Paxton and Vortech superchargers also at authorized installers (like here).

The dealership pretty much has to prove that the supercharger was the direct cause of any problems with your vehicle. Thats what the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is for.

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act - http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm

Warranty Denial - http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

Consumers Bill Of Rights - http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60127

You are protected :)

Page

Perhaps we should ask the 100% of the NHRA Top Fuel Teams who all use a PD blower what type saddle they prefer? :hysterical:

Perhaps we should ask the 100% of the NHRA Top Fuel Teams who all use a PD blower what type saddle they prefer? :hysterical:

Hehehehe - Great minds think alike. I was GONNA say that but didnt want to go down that road :) Not to mention IHBA (I know - not a car, but still a blown motor), or the Monster Truck crowd :)

To tell you the truth I did and am doing a fair amount of research, talking to installers, talking to owners that have all the different types, and I've taken a drive in a TS 2006 GT and a Pro Charged 2005. That's why I'm thinking of going with the Kenne Bell or Whipple. Since I don't drive road courses and I don't autocross and I'm not running 1/4 mile drags much I think that the low end benefits of the Twin Screw out weigh the advantages of the centrifugal at top end rpms. I even said in my post, you copied, that I was looking for "low end" for the type of driving I see here in the Tampa Bay area. Besides all that I like the looks of the TS better than the centrifugal. I don't like the way they cludder up the front of the motor. I'm not bad mouthing any ones installation but for me I like the looks of the blower on the top of the engine. Just looks like a blower should to me. When I saw and heard a couple of the Kenne Bells on the GT500s at the Central Florida Shelby Roundup, that just really put the bug in my butt to check into a supercharger.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Shelby himself might have had some input on them putting the Kenne Bell Twin Screw on the Super Snake which makes lots of hp and looks great to boot.

I'll win plenty of races at a mile with a TS or Roots. It happens every weekend, just watch NHRA, they certainly use them and they make lots of power.

Now all that said and since this thread is about the Paxton, if Shelby had a shop in the South East, within reasonable driving distance of me, I'd still think about having them install the Paxton. It has plenty of power, is traditional, can be registered and you can get the GT/SC on the sticker. But they don't so I'm researching other choices.

Every blower voids warranty, period? That is an ill informed statement. Both of my cars have been modded through SAI and both of my cars are still under full factory warranty.

I have taken them into my local ford dealer for the airbag recall as well as some other minor issues, and both of my cars were accepted and all repairs were covered under warranty.

My local dealer has seen and been in my Super Snake (they love it), and they are in the process of ordering a clutch and transmission in order to resolve the shifting issue that has been discussed at length elsewhere, and that work will be done under warranty too.

Let's recap: 2 SAI modded cars both with full factory warranty; period.

You are my Idol. Both of your Shelbys are top notch and you have great taste. Besides that your avatar is the best. I just have to sit and stare at it every time I see one of your posts.

When I talked to Brandon Ford, here in the Tampa Bay area, they told me that the blower I was asking about was covered by a 12 month 12K warranty. That was the FRPP Whipple installed by them. They also told me that the normal 3/36 would not be voided by the installation, if they installed it.

Me thinks you need to do some research before making a statement like that. There ARE superchargers that dont blow your warranty (MANY for that matter) - Saleen, Roush, Magnuson, Ford Racing.

Here is the warranty on the FRPP supercharger - which comes WITH a warranty

http://www.fordracingparts.com/warranty/FO...Y_STATEMENT.pdf

There are 3/36 warranties available for Paxton and Vortech superchargers also at authorized installers (like here).

The dealership pretty much has to prove that the supercharger was the direct cause of any problems with your vehicle. Thats what the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is for.

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act - http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm

Warranty Denial - http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

Consumers Bill Of Rights - http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60127

You are protected :)

Page

My statement was directed to the folks who buy a supercharger kit and then exceed the recommended boost, or change the tune. Many here have bragged about that. Look at the FRP kits, get the spec sheet out. 6-8 PSI both on the Paxton and the Whipple.

Perhaps you should read the Ford Racing "limited" warranty again? When you step outside the bounds of boost and EEC tune, and you window the block, Ford is going to go through your shit before they pay anything. Sure, your air bags will be covered, a blown speaker, trim and paint for a reasonable period, but the 3/36 powertrain warranty will not be there for you if you tamper with the aftermarket install, or, EEC tune.

Ford will put a new motor in the car, and send the old motor and EEC to the lab. When you fail the examination, you get a repair bill.

BTW, once were done the top fuel drivers about the PD bloswers, let's grab any copy of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, and count the PD to Centrifugal blowers among the Nation/Regional Outlaw and Renegade champions?

Oh, and what about the one Shelby build that doesn't have a power train warranty?

Archived