TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My release bearing is SCREAMING like a stuck pig again !!!

Grabber

Is yours whining like mine was in the first post on this thread ?

How many miles on yours ?

Prior to starting your next time....Pump the clutch pedal a dozen times to see if it makes any difference.

Naw not that I can hear, it just sounds like marbles rolling around on concrete, though with my tenitis (ringing ears) it is hard to tell but when I get back from offshore work

I plan on getting someone with better hearing to listen for me....

5600 mi

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both yesterday and today I am still getting squeeking noises on startup, just a few and last about 5 seconds. The dissappear when I touch th cutch less than 1/8 inch. Not the constant whine like before. Maybe 2 or 3 short squeeks during the first 5 seconds.

Tomorrow I will try pumping the clutch again before start up.

Both yesterday and today I am still getting squeeking noises on startup, just a few and last about 5 seconds. The dissappear when I touch th cutch less than 1/8 inch. Not the constant whine like before. Maybe 2 or 3 short squeeks during the first 5 seconds.

Tomorrow I will try pumping the clutch again before start up.

Jim, It sounds like your are making some progress getting it broke in.

I just got home from work and started mine up. It has sat for 25 hours. Here's the sound clip.

th_Apr222008-VID00002.jpg

Jim, It sounds like your are making some progress getting it broke in.

I just got home from work and started mine up. It has sat for 25 hours. Here's the sound clip.

th_Apr222008-VID00002.jpg

:happy feet: congrats! looks like you got the bubbles purged!

Happy motoring!

DH

I have been starting my car everyday now for a week. It's been too wet and nasty to drive it, but Sat is suppose to clear up. Anyways I let the car sit for 50 hours this time. I just fired her up and she purred like a kitten. :happy feet:

Jim - What's your car doing ?

Good morning Rob,

My car has been mostly sitting because of the weather. I still get 5 or 6 seconds of a squeeking (metal on metal) (not loud, just something bearly touching something) noise on cold start up. Not a constant squeek, just on/off/on/off for the first 6 seconds or so, then no squeek even if I rev it. It happens even if I pump the break and clutch before starting. I stops if I touch the clutch like before. My original whine like yours is gone. Don't know if I need to worry about the squeeking. Am wondering if when they changed my release bearing something didn't get alligned correctly.

Any ideas?

Good morning Rob,

My car has been mostly sitting because of the weather. I still get 5 or 6 seconds of a squeeking (metal on metal) (not loud, just something bearly touching something) noise on cold start up. Not a constant squeek, just on/off/on/off for the first 6 seconds or so, then no squeek even if I rev it. It happens even if I pump the break and clutch before starting. I stops if I touch the clutch like before. My original whine like yours is gone. Don't know if I need to worry about the squeeking. Am wondering if when they changed my release bearing something didn't get alligned correctly.

Any ideas?

Jim,

There is nothing to align. It requires 2 bolts and the CSC bearing unit is on. I am hoping that when the weather gets good you can drive the car and see if things get seated.

I have not started my car in 2 days. I am happy to report that she fired up this morning with no whine. I took her out to a car show in Beaverton Oregon and spen a 2 hours there, and then drove home. 60 fun miles in ther sun today with a great running tranny and clutch. :happy feet:

I saw Putnamdo and 1bfdengineer at the show today. It was nice to see a couple TS members today. :)

Great news!!!!!

2 days in a row with no whine, no scream, no squeeking or chirping upon start up.

Thanks again Rob.

Sounds like the air got worked out. Great news Jim. :happy feet:

My car has not been started since last Sat, 6 days ago. I am curious to start it up. The weather is going to be nice Sunday and I am meeting Gun Oil on his maiden trip home with his new GT500.

3,471 mi. on mine and no squeeling from the T.O. bearing or CSC bearing (for the youngsters). Once in a while it will not go in reverse or first, but if I drift a hair it goes right in, shifting is fine whether I shift hard or easy. My car sat for 17 months after I put 2,500 mi. on it in the first month I owned it. I expected to have a squeek or two all is fine except that I need to take it in for the airbag recall and the rubber seal on the passenger side of the windshield under the wiper is warped! I checked it out when washing it :banghead:

Jim,

I started my car up yesterday and took it out for a spin. Today I also put 50 miles on it. No issues. It ran great and no noises. I hope yours is working well for you.

Rob

This is all great news to hear. I'll keep this in mind once my tranny gets replaced. Though I'm still waiting for parts - with no ETA. And it appears my clutch is finally going - it's slipping under high power. I need to baby it now until the work gets done.

:redcard:15.gif

Well,

This one lasted about 95 miles and now it's screaming like a stuck pig. :rant2: The first one that came with my new tranny screamed at me the next day. This is also happening to another member here on this site. ffr1229 has a 2008 GT500 and his bearing went out a couple weeks ago with under 100 miles on the car. His screamed at him for 45 seconds at start up. He just had the tranny pulled and a new release bearing installed, and now it only screams at him for 15 seconds. :banghead:

It's starting to look like Ford's release bearing vendor has some bad product out there. At least these 4 are bad that I know of. I wonder how many more are bad ???

My 3rd release bearing was ordered today. It will arrive tomorrow and be installed Friday morning 4/18/08. This will be the 3rd time I have seen my tranny out of my car. :censored::rant2:

I just took this sound clip a few minutes ago to show you the lovely metal to metal sound that a sticky release bearing makes. This one does it for 20 seconds at start up. and then when I rev the car up a little it will do it a few more times.

Screaming GT500 sound clip

th_Apr162008-VID00001.jpg

You might want to think about taking it to another dealer. I've had mine replaced with absolutely no problems...other parts as well. The person working on your car makes all the difference in the world. Your issues seem to be ongoing.

You might want to think about taking it to another dealer. I've had mine replaced with absolutely no problems...other parts as well. The person working on your car makes all the difference in the world. Your issues seem to be ongoing.

There was some air trapped in my hydrolic clutch line that goes to the release bearing and makes it function. The air seems to have worked it's way out by pumping the clutch pedal. No issues the last few weeks.

PS.

You sent me a PM and I could not reply because your PM box is FULL.

Rob, we went for a 75 mi road trip yesterday and am thinking how lucky I am to own such a machine. I have not heard a sound from the release bearing for about a week now so am thinking all is good.

Unfortunatly it is at the dealer today to get the power steering flushed out from using those damn expensive (and getting more so) Shelby fluid caps. The vent hole had been plugged but it still let water in, maybe by condensation.

Rob, we went for a 75 mi road trip yesterday and am thinking how lucky I am to own such a machine. I have not heard a sound from the release bearing for about a week now so am thinking all is good.

Unfortunatly it is at the dealer today to get the power steering flushed out from using those damn expensive (and getting more so) Shelby fluid caps. The vent hole had been plugged but it still let water in, maybe by condensation.

Sorry to hear about your cap problems. Did you switch back to the OEM Cap and order a new Shelby ccap replacement?

There was some air trapped in my hydrolic clutch line that goes to the release bearing and makes it function. The air seems to have worked it's way out by pumping the clutch pedal. No issues the last few weeks.

PS.

You sent me a PM and I could not reply because your PM box is FULL.

I'm happy to hear that you got it fixed and an easy fix at that!

• 1 month later...
It's over a year old, so it's not an option.

It wasn't a Ford, however, I convinced the COO of Chrysler to buy back my '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee after it developed electrical issues which resulted in the car shutting off completely while driving; twice, once on the freeway at 75MPH. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. The car was 1.5 years old when the first failure occurred, and by the time they bought it back, it was two years old. They didn't have to do it, but I actually spoke to the COO, twice, and his staff several times; and convinced them that it would be best if they just took 25 cents a mile for my usage, subtract it from the sticker price, and give me the rest, plus the taxes I paid. They did it, but I had to apply the *credit* to another Chrysler product, not MB(still owned at the time), damn it! I took a 300C AWD Hemi and summarily drove it down to my local Acura dealer for trade on an '07 RL.

I found the COO's name and Bio on Chrysler's website, and just started calling until I got him. I stayed calm with them, and presented it to them as a business case. I also returned a 1991 Dodge Stealth SVR4 (Mistu 3000GT VR4), after 3 trannys(Gertrags at $3,500 a pop back then!), and 3 transfer cases, yes it was AWD; all done under the CA Lemon law at the time. It also had All-Wheel-Steering, and an electronically adjustable suspension. In 1991, all immature technologies and prown to failure. I only had that car for 4 months, it was problematic from day one.

Archived