TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My release bearing is SCREAMING like a stuck pig again !!!

Grabber

I assume that if you didn't pump the pedal before starting the car that the noise would return?

Is there a more permanent fix that they are working on?

They did not tell me to pump the pedal before starting it. They told me that doing so would get the air out of the line *if* there was air trapped in there. Pumping the pedal prior to starting the car was my idea. Ford told me that the bearing *may* stop making the noise on its own with a little use. A little time and miles will determine if that comes true or not.

Keep in mind that my car sat for 5 weeks right after the bearing was installed. Now by starting the car once a day and if it's nice driving it, will determine if the bearing needs to be replaced or not.

Ford did a search thru FCSD to see if there has been a run on bad CSC bearing warranty claims - and there has not been a problem with them as of yet.

My plan is to start the car tomorrow with out pumping the clutch pedal and see what happens.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds encouraging, Rob. If pumping got the bubbles out, tomorrow should be a quiet start even without pumping :happy feet: hopin' for ya!!

Thanks Dan. That's my same thoughts too. :)

I tried mine this morning after pumping the brake and clutch pedal 3 times. I had the whine for only a second or two, then quiet for about 3 or 4 seconds, then came back for another second or so, then disappeared.

Seems like we are making progress Rob.

Did you try yours this morning without pumping?

I tried mine this morning after pumping the brake and clutch pedal 3 times. I had the whine for only a second or two, then quiet for about 3 or 4 seconds, then came back for another second or so, then disappeared.

Seems like we are making progress Rob.

Did you try yours this morning without pumping?

Jim,

I have not tried mine this morning. I will shortly.

I think you should try pumping the pedal a dozen times to make sure the air is worked out of the lines. Do this now, and also several times prior to your next start up and let us know what happened.

Jim,

I have not tried mine this morning. I will shortly.

I think you should try pumping the pedal a dozen times to make sure the air is worked out of the lines. Do this now, and also several times prior to your next start up and let us know what happened.

Something does not sound right...If the air was bled after installation why do you have to do this before starting the engine...I would think that it is not happening after each replacement of transmissions otherwise there would be a TSB by FORD or something to that effect...It is just not adding up.

Jim,

Yesterday I pumped the clutch pedal about 10 times to make sure the air was worked out of the system. As you heard....the noise was not present at yesterdays start up.

I just started my car.

It has been 18 hours since the last start.

It's cold in my shop too. 35 degrees.

I did not pump the clutch pedal or the brake pedal at all this morning.

Listen to the results of this mornings start up and you will hear that there is no noise coming from my bearing at all. It appears that by pumping the clutch and brake pedal over the last 2 days that the pressure in my system has equalized and if there was air in it, it worked it's way out. Now the release bearing is doing what it is supposed to do.

:) :happy feet: :) :happy feet: :) :happy feet: :) :happy feet: :) :happy feet: :)

th_Apr192008-VID00001.jpg

Jim,

Yesterday I pumped the clutch pedal about 10 times to make sure the air was worked out of the system. As you heard....the noise was not present at yesterdays start up.

I just started my car.

It has been 18 hours since the last start.

It's cold in my shop too. 35 degrees.

I did not pump the clutch pedal or the brake pedal at all this morning.

Listen to the results of this mornings start up and you will hear that there is no noise coming from my bearing at all. It appears that by pumping the clutch and brake pedal over the last 2 days that the pressure in my system has equalized and if there was air in it, it worked it's way out. Now the release bearing is doing what it is supposed to do.

:) :happy feet: :) :happy feet: :) :happy feet: :) :happy feet: :) :happy feet: :)

th_Apr192008-VID00001.jpg

Good for you ...glad it worked and hoping really that it will not happen again.

Something does not sound right...If the air was bled after installation why do you have to do this before starting the engine...I would think that it is not happening after each replacement of transmissions otherwise there would be a TSB by FORD or something to that effect...It is just not adding up.

Sharabi,

All I can tell you that my bearing sounds "Right" yesterday and this morning. :) No pumping was done this morning at all. I could not even make it whine when I rev'd the motor.

My car was parked after the original tranny install for many weeks due to bad weather.

It was then parked for many more weeks (5 total) after the 1st bearing replacement.

Did that have something to do with my problem ? I dont know ! All I can think is that my hydrolic pressure in my system was not right and this was due to some air in the system. Or that the bearing was not broke in.

Sharabi,

All I can tell you that my bearing sounds "Right" yesterday and this morning. :) No pumping was done this morning at all. I could not even make it whine when I rev'd the motor.

My car was parked after the original tranny install for many weeks due to bad weather.

It was then parked for many more weeks (5 total) after the 1st bearing replacement.

Did that have something to do with my problem ? I dont know ! All I can think is that my hydrolic pressure in my system was not right and this was due to some air in the system. Or that the bearing was not broke in.

I can sense some sarcasm from this Right thing...all i was trying to do is adding help if i could ...again like i said in my last post am glad it worked well and hope it doesn't happen again.

I can sense some sarcasm from this Right thing...all i was trying to do is adding help if i could ...again like i said in my last post am glad it worked well and hope it doesn't happen again.

I was just stressing that my car sounds right now. I too am hoping that the noise never returns. All is good over here Sharabi. :)

I pumped my clutch and break pedals earlier today and now started it without pumping. It squeeked for less than a half second and again a couple seconds later again for less than a half second and once again a couple seconds later. Seems like it is getting much better.

Three tiny squeeks in about 4 seconds.

I pumped my clutch and break pedals earlier today and now started it without pumping. It squeeked for less than a half second and again a couple seconds later again for less than a half second and once again a couple seconds later. Seems like it is getting much better.

Three tiny squeeks in about 4 seconds.

Check the level in your resevoir. Take the lid off and put it back on to make sure it's tight too. Keep me posted.

Great news, Rob! :yahoo: ...sounds encouraging all the way around.

Yes it's great news Dan. At about 3:30pm today the streets were dry and it looked as if I might be able to get a ride in. So I did. I put on 32 mile and had a great ride. Before I left I did another test to see if my release bearing was still being quiet.

TEST:

Car sat 7 hours since the last test.

I did not pump the clutch pedal at all prior to the start.

I started the car and there was no whine noise at all. :)

I rev'd the motor and there was no noise at all. :)

Here is the sound clip of this test

th_Apr192008-VID000011.jpg

:happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

It was probably not the brg making noise. I've installed new seals that have made similar noise before. Once the seal seats then they stop. A brg making noise like that wouldn't last a day.

What is a brg ?

Sorry i would of something sooner but i don't get over here much. Rubber seals will make noise sometimes, they cut a grove into the metal and seat. Once they seat the noise will stop. T/O brg's are a sealed brg.

Sorry i would of something sooner but i don't get over here much. Rubber seals will make noise sometimes, they cut a grove into the metal and seat. Once they seat the noise will stop. T/O brg's are a sealed brg.

I am just glad it has stopped now. I have started the car 3 times after total cool down. One time at 12 hours cool down, one at 18 hours, and one time at 7 hours. The noise is gone. I put 30 miles on the car yesterday and I would take it out today, but we have snow on the ground.

I plan on starting the car at 4 pm today, which would be a 24 hour cool down period and see if the noise is still gone. I suspect it is.

What is TO Bearing ?

Rob -

This is great news. It sounds (literally) like your problem is gone! :happy feet: :happy feet: I really did not want you to have that transmission pulled again!! I'm glad there was a positive outcome!!

So I guess I am old and the CSC bearing is just the T/O Brg..

That means the T/O Brg. noise I am hearing when I start mine up is the T/O bearing and it makes noise whether the clutch is depressed or not for a little while then goes away.... I Emailed my dealer and told them to call the hot line. Premature perhaps?

I was entertaining the thought of taking a road trip to Washington state from here (Louisiana) and see the folks, maybe that would force the transmission/clutch to go out if it's gunna go. I have the roadside assistance and the premium warranty package... :idea:

So I guess I am old and the CSC bearing is just the T/O Brg..

That means the T/O Brg. noise I am hearing when I start mine up is the T/O bearing and it makes noise whether the clutch is depressed or not for a little while then goes away.... I Emailed my dealer and told them to call the hot line. Premature perhaps?

I was entertaining the thought of taking a road trip to Washington state from here (Louisiana) and see the folks, maybe that would force the transmission/clutch to go out if it's gunna go. I have the roadside assistance and the premium warranty package... :idea:

Is yours whining like mine was in the first post on this thread ?

How many miles on yours ?

Prior to starting your next time....Pump the clutch pedal a dozen times to see if it makes any difference.

Archived