TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My release bearing is SCREAMING like a stuck pig again !!!

Grabber

:redcard:15.gif

Well,

This one lasted about 95 miles and now it's screaming like a stuck pig. :rant2: The first one that came with my new tranny screamed at me the next day. This is also happening to another member here on this site. ffr1229 has a 2008 GT500 and his bearing went out a couple weeks ago with under 100 miles on the car. His screamed at him for 45 seconds at start up. He just had the tranny pulled and a new release bearing installed, and now it only screams at him for 15 seconds. :banghead:

It's starting to look like Ford's release bearing vendor has some bad product out there. At least these 4 are bad that I know of. I wonder how many more are bad ???

My 3rd release bearing was ordered today. It will arrive tomorrow and be installed Friday morning 4/18/08. This will be the 3rd time I have seen my tranny out of my car. :censored::rant2:

I just took this sound clip a few minutes ago to show you the lovely metal to metal sound that a sticky release bearing makes. This one does it for 20 seconds at start up. and then when I rev the car up a little it will do it a few more times.

Screaming GT500 sound clip

th_Apr162008-VID00001.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lets see, Tranny problem 1, tranny problem 2, tranny problem 3.

You may be approaching the point of buy back and getting a new car!

These are the problems I have had with my car:

1. Rail dust rust on drivers quarter panel at delivery. Buff job required by a professional.

2. Bad drivers seat leather. Seat replaced.

3. Bad passenger window rubber guide. Replaced.

4. Tranny, clutch, flywheel replaced at 3587 miles.

5. Rear stripes cracked last month at both stripe overlap seams. Replaced.

6. Tranny pulled again for defective CSC bearing replacement (Release bearing).

7. Tranny pulled again for another bad CSC bearing.

I have been in and out of the dealership way more on this car than any other car I have ever owned. It's realy starting to get old.

Sorry to hear that Rob... This should not be happening with these cars....where the heck was Fords' QA when these cars were built.

That's what's stopping me from going with a TVS or KB....I think I'm going to wait 'til the warranty runs out as I'm sure something like this will happen as soon as I would mod the car further.

I hope the next time they drop the tranny, it will be the last time for you. I can see where this would make a person not want this vehicle, no matter how much fun it is when it's working good.

Good Luck with her Bud.

It's over a year old, so it's not an option.

It's not the car's fault the dealership was dealt a bad bearing. The replacement transmission was built on a holiday evening, that didn't help you any, again not the cars fault. A cracking stripe is by no means cause for long term concern. I would not be talking about getting rid of your GT500 because of a little bad luck, that will bring more bad luck IMO. I would drop it off, let the tech do his job without distraction and your car will be fine.

Nothing worthwhile is easy, you already know that.

Don't like to see a fellow enthusiast discouraged over easily solved problems.

Rob, I know that you are bent right now, and understandably so. But I want to ask you a question that I don't want you to take in any negitive way, as you know me and as such I hope that you understand that the question comes strictly from a technicial POV only in an attempt to help you/us to understand these CSC bearing failures.

Is it possible that you are riding the clutch pedal subconsciously after you complete your shifts and while you are crusing, or do you absolutely place your left foot down on the dead pedal area of the floor after you complete your shifts? CSC, throw out bearings, or whatever FoMoCo wants to call them now can fail prematurely if the clutch pedal is ridden even if it's ever so slightly.

Rob -

That really stinks!!! :(:( Is there any way to tell if the next one will be OK? Are they date stamped or batch numbered? I wouldn't want to put another one in that was produced around the same time.

It does stink. :( It just seems to never end. It's been one thing after the next for me on this car. All my issues seem to happen about 2 months apart or so. Just when I think it's over.....BAM, another issue comes up, and I am seeking a repair. :shrug:

I am pretty discouraged tonight about the whole thing. :(

What are the chances of me getting a 3rd bad release bearing ? I don't know. The first one was put on by Tremec at the Tranny factory in Jan 2008. Ford supplies Tremec with the part. The second one came from a Ford distribution warehouse in Portland, Oregon on March 10th. At that time the warehouse had 16 of these in stock. Today they have 5 of them in stock. How long have they been there is a crap shoot. It's the same part for the 2005 - 2008 V-6 Mustang and GT Mustang. I asked if they could get the part from the East coast instead. They tried, and it has to ship from the nearest distributer, so I am getting one of the 5 from the Portland warehouse.

I don't even want to talk about a 4th one being defective. :fool:

Does it make this noise whenever the car is started?

The car has to sit for a min. of 4-6 hours before it will make the noise at start up.

Example: I start the car in the morning - It screams like a pig.

Drive it to the dealership to show it to them - It won't do it unless it sits 4-6 hours, and the whine is not as bad.

Let it sit over night for a total cool down - It will scream like a pig.

Rob, I know that you are bent right now, and understandably so. But I want to ask you a question that I don't want you to take in any negitive way, as you know me and as such I hope that you understand that the question comes strictly from a technicial POV only in an attempt to help you/us to understand these CSC bearing failures.

Is it possible that you are riding the clutch pedal subconsciously after you complete your shifts and while you are crusing, or do you absolutely place your left foot down on the dead pedal area of the floor after you complete your shifts? CSC, throw out bearings, or whatever FoMoCo wants to call them now can fail prematurely if the clutch pedal is ridden even if it's ever so slightly.

Good question Enis. I take no offense either. I do not keep my foot on the clutch after shifts. I make a effort to set my foot aside.

The first Concentric Slave Cylinder bearing was defective the next day. I drove it 12 miles home and the next day I went to drive it and it sounded just like my video clip.

The second bearing has 75 freeway miles on it and 20 in town miles on it.

Here is a sound clip from the first bad CSC bearing in early March with 12 miles on it.

th_Mar082008-VID00001.jpg

Son of GT,

I was thinking about your riding the clutch question some more and I wanted to point out that my original tranny never ever made that noise for the 3557 miles that I used it. It's just these 2 new CSC bearings that are giving me head aches.

The replacement transmission was built on a holiday evening, that didn't help you any, again not the cars fault.

:headscratch:

Blayne,

There is nothing wrong with the transmission that is made by Tremec on the holiday evening that you speak of. The first problem was with the Ford bearing unit that was manufactured prior to my tranny build in the US and then shipped to Mexico for Tremec to bolt on with 2 simple bolts and no alignment required. 1 minute bolt on job.

I do have a question for you. If this was your car, and you got a 3rd defective bearing, what would you like to see done to assure a 4th one was good ? Since you are involved in QA/QC in a very high technical mech. field, I respect your reply greatly.

It's over a year old, so it's not an option.

I am sorry to hear this. You have had more than your share of problems.

My 2000 Explorer was over a year old and on it's second engine and had over 30,000 miles when Ford replaced it with my choice of a new 2001 Escape. If you have an extended Ford warranty, Ford doesn't want to keep you in something that's costing them money. You should talk about a new one at your dealership.

I am sorry to hear this. You have had more than your share of problems.

My 2000 Explorer was over a year old and on it's second engine and had over 30,000 miles when Ford replaced it with my choice of a new 2001 Escape. If you have an extended Ford warranty, Ford doesn't want to keep you in something that's costing them money. You should talk about a new one at your dealership.

I just want my car fixed, and I am tired of going to the dealership for service work. I have over 40 hours of running around. Several days off work to coordinate the work, and countless phone calls and some sleepless nights.

I have the Ford Premium care Warranty for 7 years and 60,000 miles. I am sure glad I bought it. It gives me some peace of mind. I have a feeling I will be using it.

Grabber ~ unbelievable. and I thought just not being able to drive My car was bad enough, but having continuing maintenance issues would drive me crazy.

Think of the "history" your building for this car's entry into the new Gen Registry!

On the positive side: At least it's not $$ out of your pocket at the moment and think of it as an involuntary mileage control program. :)

Keith

Grabber ~ unbelievable. and I thought just not being able to drive My car was bad enough, but having continuing maintenance issues would drive me crazy.

Think of the "history" your building for this car's entry into the new Gen Registry!

On the positive side: At least it's not $$ out of your pocket at the moment and think of it as an involuntary mileage control program. :)

Keith

The cosmetic stuff is fixed. It was a hassle, and that's over. The new tranny shifts great.....it's just the darn release bearing that is giving me a rough time.

That sucks! :doh: Perhaps it's not costing you out of pocket, but I understand that it's costing you in terms of time and grief. Hang in there Rob - Ford will make it right.

Ford Service and Engineering have been nothing but stellar in helping me resolve the issues as they surface. Service and Engineering have NEVER given me the run around. That is the only thing that keeps me sane.

It's time to hit the rack and call it a night. I got to get up at O-Dark-Thirty for work.

I think that the car fits the description of a lemon even if it was for a year ...i think you are entitled to have a new car from FORD and you should seek a legal opinion in that direction.

....but it's Orange silly. :hysterical:

I just want my car fixed, and I am tired of going to the dealership for service work. I have over 40 hours of running around. Several days off work to coordinate the work, and countless phone calls and some sleepless nights.

I have the Ford Premium care Warranty for 7 years and 60,000 miles. I am sure glad I bought it. It gives me some peace of mind. I have a feeling I will be using it.

I have the same warranty thru Ford as well. I know you have a lot of time invested in your Shelby with mods. I would hate to have to replace mine also, and all I have done to mine was get the dash plaque.

I just wanted to let you know, don't think it's out of range (buy-back) because it's over a year old. If it continues to cost Ford money to repair, they want you out of it more than you do.

Good luck Rob, I hope everything works out for you.

:headscratch:

Blayne,

There is nothing wrong with the transmission that is made by Tremec on the holiday evening that you speak of. The first problem was with the Ford bearing unit that was manufactured prior to my tranny build in the US and then shipped to Mexico for Tremec to bolt on with 2 simple bolts and no alignment required. 1 minute bolt on job.

I do have a question for you. If this was your car, and you got a 3rd defective bearing, what would you like to see done to assure a 4th one was good ? Since you are involved in QA/QC in a very high technical mech. field, I respect your reply greatly.

Hi Rob, first I need say that your frustration and it is completely understandable. I can tell you in a heartbeat that my car would have a known good bearing installed the next time, and this would be done by using the original bearing that was removed in serviceable condition. Another good option is to take a "known good bearing" to the dealership for a comparison against the next new bearing that your dealership receives, that would possibly make me feel more confident about the new bearings installation.

The very best machines in the world break. Quite often it takes a year or so to work the bugs out of new aircraft, this is considered normal, especially with a newer product design. I would not loose faith that you have a fantastic car that will provide many years of awesome service to you and your family, I think your GT500 car is an extension of who you are, and I believe it's a very good machine that just needs a little extra attention.

I firmly believe this will all be behind you shortly, and you will be enjoying you Shelby as it was supposed to be.

Good Luck,

Blayne

Archived