TEAM SHELBY FORUM

hail damage saga continued...

fatboy

oh...i was wondering to put the trunk letters back on...how would i know exactly where to position the letters? (spacing of letters, distance from top of trunk or from faux gas cap emblem, etc etc)

:headscratch:

is there a template that SAI has?

I had the same issue with the letters. Bud was kind enough to get me the measurements of the letter spacing. I cannot remember off the top of my head what the exact spacing is, but i believe the spacing is 3 inches between the letters and 3/8 inch up from the bottom curve of the trunk lid. So you should start in the center of the two stripes, and measure 1.5 inches to the start of the E and the L.

Hope this helps.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had the same issue with the letters. Bud was kind enough to get me the measurements of the letter spacing. I cannot remember off the top of my head what the exact spacing is, but i believe the spacing is 3 inches between the letters and 3/8 inch up from the bottom curve of the trunk lid. So you should start in the center of the two stripes, and measure 1.5 inches to the start of the E and the L.

Hope this helps.

cool that may help me alot. crap i wonder if they know how to reinstall my hood pins too. the studs should still be mounted under the hood. maybe they'll use those as a guide to where to drill the hood pin holes in the hood.

Hey fatboy, just hoping its going well for you. Remember drive the piss outta that thing when you get it back and I am sure you will forget all about it! Haha!

yeah. i'll be like "hey! the paint's pealing off, but i DONT CARE! because it feels and sounds GREAT! :rockon: :burnout: :ohsnap:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: ok i called and i told them to wait till thier regular painter comes back from vacation this coming tuesday and paint the car then. thier other guy is tryin to put 2 other cars together and painting stuff at the same time, so i figure i dont want to put this particular car on his work load. so i rather wait and let the the reagular painter do it especially since he's goin to be coming back from a good long rest from vacation. B) maybe he'll have a good fresh start. i rather wait a little longer than try to rush someone and then have a disaster.

as far as the trunk letters...they were able to save those so i'll get to re-use them.

regarding the stripe installation...the person installing the stripes is a separate business thats located in another town about an hour's drive from here. the dealership told me that they could take the car up there for me or i could take the car and drive it up there myself.(up to me)

what do u guys think i should do? i thought about taking it there myself just incase the vinyl guy might have questions. what's everyone's .02?

So fatboy, when I was about 17 I used to drive dealer trades for a car dealer, boy did I ever thrash on some new 300ZX turbos...with the odometer in the teens at 130mph.

I would not let ANY dealer take my car on a hour joy ride...drive it yourself.

So fatboy, when I was about 17 I used to drive dealer trades for a car dealer, boy did I ever thrash on some new 300ZX turbos...with the odometer in the teens at 130mph.

I would not let ANY dealer take my car on a hour joy ride...drive it yourself.

yeah if i let them take the car there is this vision in my mind that i will have:

watch the video from 5:20 till the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MxPoxxt7n0&NR=1

car has been painted today :happy feet:

they said that at the earliest the stripes should be applied by middle of next week. the stripes come with instructions and has arrows that show how to place the stripes on the car so it should be a no brainer.

i think i see light at the end of the tunnel :whew:

yeah if i let them take the car there is this vision in my mind that i will have:

watch the video from 5:20 till the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MxPoxxt7n0&NR=1

LMAO ROTF.... :hysterical2: How many miles did you say were on your car when you took it to this dealer??? And they have had it HOW LONG??? Sorry man, I hope you get your car back soon and it's as good as new again!

car has been painted today :happy feet:

they said that at the earliest the stripes should be applied by middle of next week. the stripes come with instructions and has arrows that show how to place the stripes on the car so it should be a no brainer.

i think i see light at the end of the tunnel :whew:

Hello FatBoy, could you please say who your insurance company is, and were you able to get pictures with the body work?

Thanks

Shelter.

no pictures. the insurance company never asked for any, at least not from me.

i did take pictures of some of the hail dents and the broken windshield the day after the storm hit.

the only other pictures that were taken were by the dealership to get approval for replacement of Shelby Stripes. they had to take pics of the car itself, the CSM plaque and i guess the VIN# and send them to SAI.

Hopefully you will be riding again really soon as I know it must be killing you to be without your ride!

i'm already having dreams about my shelby...i dreamed that i got it back without the stripes, with the stripes, with a different color paint, even dreamed i got a different muscle car back.

and just last night i dreamed i had an old muscle car that had a badda$$ loping idle to it like a dragster. it was like some kinda 60's chevelle or somethin. i dont remember what kinda car. i just remember that i had gotten to start it up after a long period of time(subconsiously relating to my real life Shelby withdraws i guess).

:dreamy:

i've made 2 car payments while its beein in the shop. :banghead:

the stripes were to be put on last week. monday i will call and see if its been done.

i'm already having dreams about my shelby...i dreamed that i got it back without the stripes, with the stripes, with a different color paint, even dreamed i got a different muscle car back.

and just last night i dreamed i had an old muscle car that had a badda$$ loping idle to it like a dragster. it was like some kinda 60's chevelle or somethin. i dont remember what kinda car. i just remember that i had gotten to start it up after a long period of time(subconsiously relating to my real life Shelby withdraws i guess).

:dreamy:

i've made 2 car payments while its beein in the shop. :banghead:

the stripes were to be put on last week. monday i will call and see if its been done.

When I first saw the post, I thought you had finally gotten your car back. :( I am sorry to hear you are still waiting. If it is any consolation, it has been 6 months since I have driven mine and won't be till next year when I get back. Probably be snow on the ground too. I hope you get it back soon, good as new.

car is done.......i hope :drop:

i pick it up today about 5pm. they are detailing it as i speak.

i'll do a happy dance when the fat lady sings(that is if everything looks good).

Remember to post pictures. We're all anxious to see the finished product.

Stripes 1" apart!!!!!!!

CHECK IT!

yes ....all 1 inch apart

the stripes are slightly wider than the original...the outer edge of the stripes are aligned with the outer edges of the wiper washer nozzles...they used to be even with the inner edges of the nozzles. has anyone who's had thier's replace notice if thiers is like that? the inside spacing is 1" from front to back and a guy named don moore did the aplication and he did a really good job. everything is centered. the scoop's center stripe has always been a lil off center but it lines up pretty good overall. the hood pins and trunk letters look good too. the silver color matches too. roof looks good and also the trunk and the letters look spaced correctly.

the bumpers weren't repainted because they had no damage and they still have the original stripes. even the nick on the front left side of the front bumper is still there. lol. there's a tiny bit of overspray over the left headlight housing but u have to open the hood to see it. just on the black plastic part where the headlight mounts to the radiator housing or whatever it is. probably can clean that off anyway.

fender badges look good.

i'll take some pics of car tomorrow. right now the sun is setting.

body looks in good shape. paint looks shiny like the original.

still drives good too. got out on interstate and put the spurs to her :peelout::drool::headspin::spiteful:

:bandance:

Fatboy, I'm glad your saga is finally coming to an end and things are looking good. Look forward to some pictures of the final product. One question though. You said the strioes are slightly wider and that now they line up with the outside of the washer nozzles. If they didn't replace the bumper stripes then it would seem that the outside of the hood stripes and trunk stripes wouldn't line up with the outside of the front and rear bumper stripes...or did I misunderstand? Check it out as that would seem to stand out especially looking straight on, even from a distance.

Jim

Woo Hoo!!! Glad your hail damage saga if finally over!!! Now the next time a storm comes up, run out there and sacrafice your body over the car so the car doesn't get all dinged up again!!!

Pics! Pics! We need Pics!

Congrats on getting the car back though! I know you were anxious about it. :yahoo:

Fatboy, I'm glad your saga is finally coming to an end and things are looking good. Look forward to some pictures of the final product. One question though. You said the strioes are slightly wider and that now they line up with the outside of the washer nozzles. If they didn't replace the bumper stripes then it would seem that the outside of the hood stripes and trunk stripes wouldn't line up with the outside of the front and rear bumper stripes...or did I misunderstand? Check it out as that would seem to stand out especially looking straight on, even from a distance.

Jim

yea the original stripes on the bumpers are narrower. i couldnt see it from the front that good because the grill separates them. u can see it from the back though. the new ones are about 1/8" wider on each side.

i guess i can get some silver crayons and color in some extra silver on the edges of the bumper stripes :ohsnap::hysterical: .

I'm thinking he will be driving it for a week straight so I don't expect pics anytime soon! :happy feet: Have some fun and post up the pics when you run out of gas.

i have to work this weekend. :petting: i was goin to go for a country drive, but i guess i'll have to take pics instead. i'll get some taken later today

yea the original stripes on the bumpers are narrower. i couldnt see it from the front that good because the grill separates them. u can see it from the back though. the new ones are about 1/8" wider on each side.

i guess i can get some silver crayons and color in some extra silver on the edges of the bumper stripes :ohsnap::hysterical: .

i have to work this weekend. :petting: i was goin to go for a country drive, but i guess i'll have to take pics instead. i'll get some taken later today

Gawd this scares me! Is the space between the stripes 1"? What is the width of each stripe?

Thanks!

ok here are pics......

ugh....my fears have been realized!?!?! :headscratch:

Unless there has been some change to the way these stripes are made these were installed WRONG. They used, against EVERYTHING we talked about, the washer nozzles as the points to align to. This is WRONG. They should have aligned the stripes from the center of the hood 1/2" out on each side. This is why the spacing between the stripes does not line up with the faux spacing on the scoop.

There should be, good or bad, right or wrong, a 1/8" or so gap between the washer nozzles and the edge of the stripes adjacent to it. I suspect that the gap between the stripes is greater than 1", if not..either SPP has changed the stripes or these are not stripes from SPP.

If SPP has changed the stripes I stand corrected but in any case they should have been installed using the center line of the hood, 1" apart.

more pics......

Can you show a picture of the back of the roof?

I ask because, again, good or bad, the standard precut stripes from SPP do not have enough length to wrap around the front windshield. They are cut to lay, with rounded corners, 1/4" from the front. At least that is my experience and as can be seen on anyones SGT.

"Usually" there is a gap of about 1/4" in the front. The stripes do wrap down under the rear window and why that is I don't know. I wanted my stripes to lay under the front but when my roof stripes were replaced the striper commented that it was unfortunate that the stripes didn't have the length to run under the front.

Again, if SPP has changed the stripes to allow for that GREAT! Otherwise these are not installed correctly or, say it aint so, not SPP stripes.

IMHO!

Apologies to anyone involved if I am shown wrong!

Archived