TEAM SHELBY FORUM

hail damage saga continued...

fatboy

well like i said i'm goin down there monday and get them on the ball.

and another thing. my car isnt painted yet. and they had it sittin outside friday. and now its been raining over the weekend and i wonder if bondo will ruin if sitting in the rain. i hope they have it in the garage.

This is crap....NO BONDO IN RAIN... not cool.

Seriously I would go get car, today, fire the dealer and start over. Trust me. I have had a very expensive vehicle messed with by an incompetent dealer (who is BTW in bankruptcy now), I immediately got it out of there and had a knowledgeable facility do the work...it was a mess but all turned out well. Minus some cash on my part that I just was not interested in pursuing.

This particuliar vehicle has 2 engines that each cost more alone than the MSRP on a SGT. Trust me I know your pain, get your car OUT of there and go somewhere else and start over...Bondo absorbs moisture and then it makes the paint not work right.

Sorry for the reality dude. Hope it works out.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is crap....NO BONDO IN RAIN... not cool.

Seriously I would go get car, today, fire the dealer and start over. Trust me. I have had a very expensive vehicle messed with by an incompetent dealer (who is BTW in bankruptcy now), I immediately got it out of there and had a knowledgeable facility do the work...it was a mess but all turned out well. Minus some cash on my part that I just was not interested in pursuing.

This particuliar vehicle has 2 engines that each cost more alone than the MSRP on a SGT. Trust me I know your pain, get your car OUT of there and go somewhere else and start over...Bondo absorbs moisture and then it makes the paint not work right.

Sorry for the reality dude. Hope it works out.

+1000

This isn't a warranty issue anyway and I would have taken the car to the best body shop in the area and not to a dealer.

i was wondering if the stripe kit that u order from that 800# are pre-cut and if they already have the "SHELBY GT" letters already cut in the side stripes? does anyone know?

if they are, maybe it will save the stripe shop some time on applying them. after this is all done and the car looks fine i'm not goin to do another thing to it...even if the new stripes start gettin spots on them like the other SGTs i'm leaving them on till they rott lol.

well...hindsight is 20/20

next time i'll take it to a real body shop

After reading about your dilemma, I know exactly how you feel. I bought a black 2004 Mustang GT convertible that needed a few spots "touched up" because it sat on the lot for a while. Little did I know that "touch up" meant "repaint entire car."

Because I am more meticulcous than the average customer, I don't think they realized who they were dealing with. Had I not checked on my car every single day, while it was at the shop, the end result would have been horrific. Just like your car, they applied bondo to even the smallest of dents.. there was dust in the paint.. I went down there on a saturday only to find my unpainted/bondo'd car sitting out in the rain..

It literally took them over a month to finish a one week job. They kept telling me that even factory paint jobs have flaws... there is room for error.. etc..... Blah, blah..

Needless to say, I was never 100% satisfied with that car, especially after knowing that 85% of it had been repainted. In addition, the repainted areas never quite held up to contaminants like the factory paint.. I did trade that Mustang for the Shelby..

Don't give up.. check on your car every chance you get.. Don't take delivery of the car until it's perfect.

Good luck.

i was wondering if the stripe kit that u order from that 800# are pre-cut and if they already have the "SHELBY GT" letters already cut in the side stripes? does anyone know?

if they are, maybe it will save the stripe shop some time on applying them. after this is all done and the car looks fine i'm not goin to do another thing to it...even if the new stripes start gettin spots on them like the other SGTs i'm leaving them on till they rott lol.

All the stripes are precut for length and the letters on the sides.

I had my side stripe replaced on the driver side of my SGT because the service department scratched it. It took a while for my dealer to get them in, too. I was worried that they were getting them from some knock-off place. But when they were finished, the dealer gave me the box the side stripes were shipped in to confirm that the stripes were indeed shipped from SAI in Vegas.

After reading about your dilemma, I know exactly how you feel. I bought a black 2004 Mustang GT convertible that needed a few spots "touched up" because it sat on the lot for a while. Little did I know that "touch up" meant "repaint entire car."

Because I am more meticulcous than the average customer, I don't think they realized who they were dealing with. Had I not checked on my car every single day, while it was at the shop, the end result would have been horrific. Just like your car, they applied bondo to even the smallest of dents.. there was dust in the paint.. I went down there on a saturday only to find my unpainted/bondo'd car sitting out in the rain..

It literally took them over a month to finish a one week job. They kept telling me that even factory paint jobs have flaws... there is room for error.. etc..... Blah, blah..

Needless to say, I was never 100% satisfied with that car, especially after knowing that 85% of it had been repainted. In addition, the repainted areas never quite held up to contaminants like the factory paint.. I did trade that Mustang for the Shelby..

Don't give up.. check on your car every chance you get.. Don't take delivery of the car until it's perfect.

Good luck.

hmm i wonder why they just didnt have it detailed at a detailer with some buffing and wax job.

:banghead: what did u tell them when u saw it sittin in the rain unpainted?

damn i'm goin to have nightmares. yeah i'm goin to look over the car real good before i take it. if i see somethin i dont like i'm goin to tell them to fix it.

hmm i wonder later on over time if the paint starts lookin like shit which i'm sure it will after a few years...if the body panels can have the paint and bondo sand blasted off down to the metal and have the dents popped out or pulled out...can a good bodyshop do that?

sigh....anyone want to buy a ShelbyGT after its "freshly painted"? take over the payments? :petting:

so i can go buy a crummy old used jeep wrangler and never have to worry again about hail damage and repainting and dealership headaches. :baby::hysterical:

its primered. they have the hood too...dont know if its aleady painted when they got it but they have it in. they will put the old scoop back on.

i guess the scoop can be removed to install the stripes later at the detailer in another town.

no word on the stripes yet.

hmm i wonder why they just didnt have it detailed at a detailer with some buffing and wax job.

:banghead: what did u tell them when u saw it sittin in the rain unpainted?

There were some small "nicks" in the paint.. down to the primer in some spots. If I remember correctly, there was one the driver door, front fender, and a few at the rear. Basically, the car sat for a while on the lot (in the showroom) because it was a 40th edition car.. they had a mark-up on it until the '05s came out, at which point the realized they needed to just get rid of it.

When I bought the car, the salesman said they would take care of any issues on the car.. "Oh yeah, we'll touch that up for you.." Which meant, "we don't know how to touch-up scratches without repainting your car."

By the time I had dropped the car off, then discovered they were going to repaint it, it was too late.

damn i'm goin to have nightmares. yeah i'm goin to look over the car real good before i take it. if i see somethin i dont like i'm goin to tell them to fix it.

Definitely. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a repainted car.. I didn't mean to scare you. But, because they are doing to much to your car, go over it with a microscope! My car was finished during a rain storm.. I didn't pick it up until it was nice and sunny. I spent a long time making sure the paint texture matched the factory paint, made sure there was not dust/overspray/etc.

hmm i wonder later on over time if the paint starts lookin like shit which i'm sure it will after a few years...if the body panels can have the paint and bondo sand blasted off down to the metal and have the dents popped out or pulled out...can a good bodyshop do that?

My car was painted at the dealership bodyshop. They did give me a lifetime warranty on their work (only for the original owner). I did take advantage of the warranty when I discovered a small crack on the rear bumper.. Surprisingly, they fixed it without any hassle.

sigh....anyone want to buy a ShelbyGT after its "freshly painted"? take over the payments? :petting:

so i can go buy a crummy old used jeep wrangler and never have to worry again about hail damage and repainting and dealership headaches. :baby::hysterical:

I've dealt with more than one bodyshop in the past.. about 5 total.. from parts off of an F350, to an entire '65 Mustang.. Just make sure you inspect the final product..

As long as there is some sort of warranty with your paintjob, and as long as you approve of the end result, I think you will be fine. Most of our Shelby's will be repainted down the road anyway.. your's is just getting a head start.

its primered. they have the hood too...dont know if its aleady painted when they got it but they have it in. they will put the old scoop back on.

i guess the scoop can be removed to install the stripes later at the detailer in another town.

no word on the stripes yet.

I wouldn't put the scoop on before the stripes. Riveting is not for the faint of heart. In fact I with the "new scoop" coming soon I can see a situation where you paint, get new stripes, then put the old scoop on only to find it wrinkle the new stripes and have to do it all over again.

Why are you STILL waiting for word on the stripes and not getting the info yourself? YOU can call Ford and get a status and make sure they were ordered. Have you at least done that?

I wouldn't put the scoop on before the stripes. Riveting is not for the faint of heart. In fact I with the "new scoop" coming soon I can see a situation where you paint, get new stripes, then put the old scoop on only to find it wrinkle the new stripes and have to do it all over again.

Why are you STILL waiting for word on the stripes and not getting the info yourself? YOU can call Ford and get a status and make sure they were ordered. Have you at least done that?

i am reusing the old scoop. its the bolt on type. i told them that it wasnt riveted on except for the 2 front rivets.

i'm calling ford racing to see if stripes are ordered yet.

ok i called 800# they said pics and info not sent yet...called dealership he said he emailed them pics and info monday. dealership is calling again right now to see what happened.

i think that ford racing when they get the info, they send stripes to vegas, then sends them here.

i'm guessing someone either erased the email that was sent or had a brain fart. everyone seems to be slow at answering the phones today too...had to call ford racing twice to get a body on the phone. and dealership was a lil slow gettin to phone.

i guess its friday....yup, its friday :wacko:

do they need the photo of the CSM# plaque on the car or can they get that from the vin#?

they resent the pics of the car front, and back and side. hell, even my liscense plate is on one of the pics.

No they just need the dealer to give the VIN and the CSM with photos of course this was my experience and things might have changed.

ok i called 800# they said pics and info not sent yet...called dealership he said he emailed them pics and info monday. dealership is calling again right now to see what happened.

i think that ford racing when they get the info, they send stripes to vegas, then sends them here.

i'm guessing someone either erased the email that was sent or had a brain fart. everyone seems to be slow at answering the phones today too...had to call ford racing twice to get a body on the phone. and dealership was a lil slow gettin to phone.

i guess its friday....yup, its friday :wacko:

I have ALWAYS had good luck with Ford Racing, they have ALWAYS answered my questions, ALWAYS shipped in the time they promised, and ALWAYS been straight with me even when the dealer wasn't.

I don't think your problem is with Ford Racing... :lurk:

I disagree about the original paint, factory is factory. I have bought old cars partially beacause they had original paint. Bondo is bondo, and its use is a widespread misuse issue in bodywork.

I have a vehicle now that is 28 years old and the original paint shines, in fact I am bummed about a dent I got in it. And have yet to get it repaired as I wanting to do the metalwork myself. Emphisis on metalwork.

Now custom paint is another story, but a simple respray does make a difference to most car folk when looking at a purchase or evaluation of a car.

I have ALWAYS had good luck with Ford Racing, they have ALWAYS answered my questions, ALWAYS shipped in the time they promised, and ALWAYS been straight with me even when the dealer wasn't.

I don't think your problem is with Ford Racing... :lurk:

aparently someone isnt making it clear to the dealership what info SAI needs. because i when i talked to the dealer i asked if they needed the CSM# and he said that ford racing should be able to get that from looking up the vin#. so obviously ford racing didnt tell them they want CSM# too. right now i have to wait till MONDAY AGAIN and hear from the dealer or call them. they didnt even take pics of the car....i had to send the dealer the pics. :banghead: i mean HOW HARD IS IT TO ASK WHAT FORD RACING NEEDS... OR... FOR FORD RACING TO SAY WHAT THEY NEED? i guess i need to draw them a picture.

aparently someone isnt making it clear to the dealership what info SAI needs. because i when i talked to the dealer i asked if they needed the CSM# and he said that ford racing should be able to get that from looking up the vin#. so obviously ford racing didnt tell them they want CSM# too. right now i have to wait till MONDAY AGAIN and hear from the dealer or call them. they didnt even take pics of the car....i had to send the dealer the pics. :banghead: i mean HOW HARD IS IT TO ASK WHAT FORD RACING NEEDS... OR... FOR FORD RACING TO SAY WHAT THEY NEED? i guess i need to draw them a picture.

fatboy,

I am sorry for your troubles. It seems so hard to find good customer service these days. This sounds like a nightmare. We do hope you get this resolved with a good outcome.

Erich

Do what I did!

I called Ford Racing then 3 way conferenced in my dealer service manager and ALL walked through it TOGETHER!

It was delightful!

;)

:waiting:

cant wait till this nightmare ends

I can't empathize but I can sure sympathize. I would be scared of even pebble sized hail, the metal on this car doesn't seem like it could take a very large hit compared to some of the pontiacs I've driven, lol. Now because of your story, every time it looks like a storm is rolling in I get bloody nervous and a few times my girlfriends mom has made room in her garage for me to park in there, lol. The nice thing is she usually phones me and asks if I want to park it in there if it's starting to look nasty. I REALLY have to get my garage finished. If nothing else, at least it will keep all the bird scat off of my car. I have to wash the bloody thing daily because of a power line that runs over where my car sits right now creating a convenient place for birds of all shapes and sizes to relieve themselves on my trunk.

stripes approved :banana piano: :bandance:

Ford racing didnt like the pics i took so the dealership had to take a new set of pics and the parts dept had to get management involved in gettin this done.

Ford racing is just the middle man. they do the approving. now the dealer has to call SAI to accually order the stripes. he's gonna wait till he finds out from the body shop if the trunk letters can be reused or if he'll have to order them too, because he doesnt want to order just the stripes now and then end up goin through this process twice with the trunk letters.

anyway, the car is about ready to go into the paintbooth. :headspin:

stripes approved :banana piano: :bandance:

Ford racing didnt like the pics i took so the dealership had to take a new set of pics and the parts dept had to get management involved in gettin this done.

Ford racing is just the middle man. they do the approving. now the dealer has to call SAI to accually order the stripes. he's gonna wait till he finds out from the body shop if the trunk letters can be reused or if he'll have to order them too, because he doesnt want to order just the stripes now and then end up goin through this process twice with the trunk letters.

anyway, the car is about ready to go into the paintbooth. :headspin:

The trunk letters are easily reusable they're stick on and 3M Auto Emblem Adhesive Tape can be cut down to reattach maybe even better than new!

Besides there is no hassle getting the letters as they are available for sale to anyone and there is no approval from Ford needed. Gawd these guys are killing me!

http://shelbyperformanceparts.com/ShowItem...%20Letters.aspx

$54.95

The trunk letters are easily reusable they're stick on and 3M Auto Emblem Adhesive Tape can be cut down to reattach maybe even better than new!

Besides there is no hassle getting the letters as they are available for sale to anyone and there is no approval from Ford needed. Gawd these guys are killing me!

http://shelbyperformanceparts.com/ShowItem...%20Letters.aspx

$54.95

:drop:

oh...i was wondering to put the trunk letters back on...how would i know exactly where to position the letters? (spacing of letters, distance from top of trunk or from faux gas cap emblem, etc etc)

:headscratch:

is there a template that SAI has?

oh...i was wondering to put the trunk letters back on...how would i know exactly where to position the letters? (spacing of letters, distance from top of trunk or from faux gas cap emblem, etc etc)

:headscratch:

is there a template that SAI has?

The body shop should make one BEFORE they remove them and of possible use painters tape to mark positions.

yeeks, I was 5 minutes away from empathy fatboy. The skies weren't looking pretty the other night so I quickly phoned over to my old ladies mothers to see if I could borrow a garage spot for the evening as mine still isn't finished, and just as the door was shutting it began dumping golf balls everywhere. Bugger those things hurt. Got a few in the back as I was running the block home.

The body shop should make one BEFORE they remove them and of possible use painters tape to mark positions.

well i hope they are smart enough to do that because the car already got in the paint booth last week. :wacko:

but if not i'll put them on myself after i get it striped. i got a good picture of the back of my car. i'll get a lazer level and space the letters best i can.

crap i just remembered i missed my dental appointment :banghead:

stripes arived.

the car may go into paint tomorrow. their regular painter is on vacation(go figure) but they have another guy that does paint too so they may get him to do it. they told me to call back and they should find out tomorrow. manager will decide by later today or tomorrow. i thought it was goin into paint last week, but i was talkin to the parts dept manager, so...yeah. :kuko:

so...looks like either way i wont get the car till at least after labor day :wacko:

oh well...just hope the car turns out good

Archived