TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How do you clean the MAF sensor

ingram4868

A couple of weeks ago I cleaned the FRPP air filter with simple green and rinsed in warm water until it was clear. I also let it air dry for a day and then oiled it with the K&N red colored aerosol spray. It ended up looking like a normal K&N filter and the car ran just fine.

So after a week I looked under the hood and most of the oil is no longer visible on the outside surface of the filter. Now perhaps I didn't oil the filter enough and the oil just soaked deeper into the gauze or the oil got pulled into the intake.

Today I ordered one of the AMSOIL non oiled filters that use some nano fiber material that is also reusable.

If oil does get on the MAF sensor are there common symptoms that the car would exhibit? I just figured that while I have to wait a week for the new filter to get here I could use the time to clean the MAF sensor.

A couple of weeks ago I cleaned the FRPP air filter with simple green and rinsed in warm water until it was clear. I also let it air dry for a day and then oiled it with the K&N red colored aerosol spray. It ended up looking like a normal K&N filter and the car ran just fine.

So after a week I looked under the hood and most of the oil is no longer visible on the outside surface of the filter. Now perhaps I didn't oil the filter enough and the oil just soaked deeper into the gauze or the oil got pulled into the intake.

Today I ordered one of the AMSOIL non oiled filters that use some nano fiber material that is also reusable.

If oil does get on the MAF sensor are there common symptoms that the car would exhibit? I just figured that while I have to wait a week for the new filter to get here I could use the time to clean the MAF sensor.

One of the more common symptoms would be an erradic idle. You know the ole adage though, if it aint broke, don't fix it. The MAF is very delicate and can be damaged if care is not taken.

On my other vehicles, I simply spray brake cleaner and let it dry. Works perfectly every time.

Below is a quote from the CRC web site: "Don't us aggressive chemicals like brake parts cleaners or carburetor cleaners on MAF sensors. These can cause serious damage to sensitive parts. Use CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner -- It's the right product for the job! It safely and easily cleans the MAF hotwires and electrical components without damage to the wires or plastic housing. Cleaning is simple, safe and fast. The whole job should take less than 10 minutes!"

You can get the CRC MAF cleaner at most auto parts stores.

I usually spray contact cleaner onto the maf sensor element wires, I think brake cleaner is okay too.

+1

You can get contact cleaner at Radio Shack. Be careful not to get the straw applicator too close and hit the wires with too much force.

bj

Symptoms are,SES light,bad throttle response or no throttle response.DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER.If it is working ok dont touch it.These things can vary in price from alot to 2nd mortgage.

You don't need to clean the filter and re oil it, probably ever, I believe. The filter is supposed to work better after it gets used for awhile.

Now with my pick-up work truck I cleaned and re oiled it after 70,000 miles. It probably is due again at 153,000. My truck gets alot of use

in dusty (blasting sand, mud and general gradeaux) areas.

It will be a long time before my GT500 sees that kind of mileage let alone being driven in industrial/off road dusty areas.

At least thats what I have read. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I doubt too many people have driven their new cars anywhere near that much.

For those interested the AMSOIL "dry" filter arrived the other day. I swear it looks just like the FRPP blue filter. The only difference is a chrome cap on the closed end and that AMSOIL uses a nano fabric material that is dry yet is warranted for 100,000 miles. You only have to vacuum if off or use a low pressure(less than 20psi) air line to blow it out from the inside surface.

It is pricey at $66.00 plus shipping but I'll pay that rather than deal with washing, drying and re-oiling.

Thanks for all the tip on how to clean the MAF.

Archived