TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I was thinking of installing a set of headers on my 07 SGT. Has anyone else installed headers on their SGT? What brand of headers will work the best and do they bolt directly to the exhaust with no modifications? Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Kevin

07SGT2591

Don't know about changes to exhaust being necessary (i don't think so), but if I were doing it I would avoid the shorty headers and go straight for the long-tubes w/ the built in hi-perf cats.

Yes, the oxygen sensors are relocated and the ECM must be recalibrated to take this into account.

True...And not true. This depends on the style of header you select, and other changes you may invoke at the install. For the time being, let's discuss this product...

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=99013292

These are true "shorty" headers which will bolt up correctly and match the remainder of the factory exhaust system. No "busted knuckle garage" stuff here. There are no O2 bungs or EGR systems to relocate. True "plug and play" install, and no EEC retune is necessary.

Notice I said necessary. You can install these headers and drive away. Of course, it goes without saying that a retune will maximize your performance investment, but you can add these headers and wait on a complete professional dyno tune after three or four other performance mods are installed.

As an example, let's say I'm getting ready for some 1320 exercise, so, I add these headers (with no other changes to the exhaust system) and a 180 thermostat, Denso IT-20 plugs, 4:10 gears, 265/45-18 BFG drag radials, and 100 octane fuel. Now would be the time to get a professional (I.E. focused) dyno tune for maximum performance from all my mods, and go racing!

But, again...Bolt them on and drive away. Other brands, I can't say. There is so much variety out there, you have to plan carefully, or pay dearly.

Is it true, however that these shorty headers alone are good for only about 2 or 3 horsepower?

I think you dropped a few digits in your remark and I'll forgive this for the sake of the discussion at hand.

If you don't like something, just say so.

If you have any actual real world tests proving your opinion on them, please speak up?

i talked with jba and they told me that i would get 12to13 hp with the shorty headers and double that with the long tube headers.the shorty's would bolt right up and take 5 or 6 hours on account of lossening the motor mounts and jacking the motor up.the long tube would i believe require changing the x pipe to an h pipe.it would take a little longer and cost more to go long tube but it depends on how much you want to spend.brenspeed says that with their sct-2 tuner you need a retune after headers and there are a lot of guys on this forum that have reflashed their cars.i agree with previous member that it would make more sense to wait till you get several performance mods before retuning.you might want to consider lower pulleys along with headers then retune.also one-piece aluminum drive-shaft but this doesn't take a retune and probably helps as much if not more than headers.keep us posted on your mods.

These are true "shorty" headers which will bolt up correctly and match the remainder of the factory exhaust system. No "busted knuckle garage" stuff here. There are no O2 bungs or EGR systems to relocate. True "plug and play" install, and no EEC retune is necessary.

Notice I said necessary. You can install these headers and drive away. Of course, it goes without saying that a retune will maximize your performance investment, but you can add these headers and wait on a complete professional dyno tune after three or four other performance mods are installed.

I'm not trying to flame you here SGT4729, but please consider and understand that anytime you free up the exhaust, especially by installing headers, long or short tube, the AF ratio will richen up. The oxygen sensors will tell the ECM to compensate for this in most cases and lean out the AF, typically this is the case with short tubes where the factory location of the oxygen sensors is kept the same, such as those that you linked to, but at WOT a rich AF cannot be compensated for by the ECM. At WOT the oxygen sensors and ECM can't keep up and the AF will become rich, a rich condition at WOT is generally not a problem for the engine but could lead to problems for the cats., you are also not getting the most performance out of the engine as you point out

Yes, you can wait to get the tune but I would suggest that you go easy on it and avoid WOT driving until you can get it to your tuner so they can correct the AF and make the most out of your header investment.

Now if you want the most improvement in performance than I believe that a set of long tube headers are the better choice, but typically will require more tuning because the oxygen sensors will be relocated, as I pointed out in my earlier post.

Hope that helps,

WP

I think you dropped a few digits in your remark and I'll forgive this for the sake of the discussion at hand.

If you don't like something, just say so.

If you have any actual real world tests proving your opinion on them, please speak up?

Mine was an honest question, I really didn't know. Sorry for asking. Actually, I do like the thought of adding these headers now that I know that they are good for 12 or 13 hp. Thanks for forgiving me.

IMHO, long tube headers on a basically stock 3V are overkill. If you are considering supercharging/turbocharging, or, getting into some head/cam work, then long tubes may be the way to go. However, if you are not planning such extreme mods, you are wasting your money on making long tubes work for you.

Obviously...When it comes to performance mods, a variety of opinions and schools of thought based on individual real world experience rise to the surface. Debates will run endlessly, and none of us are really wrong, nor really right. Sometimes the difference is simply how we explain something in this one-dimensional medium.

This is why I stress research and talking to experts in the planning stage. The general rule of thumb is that "every mod improving performance brings with it a negative side effect that must be resolved". This is why I suggested the shorty headers scenario. Exhaust system surgery is minimal and the performance parts already included in the SGT build remain in place.

It's your choice, just plan carefully, and happy motoring.

Is it true, however that these shorty headers alone are good for only about 2 or 3 horsepower?

Headers for the 05-08 Mustangs will flow much higher numbers on supercharged cars!

Archived