TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Racing Mufflers

ACCLERCR

Just looking for a little meaner sound coming out the back...what are your thoughts to replace? Also, my concern is the potential of compromising what is "stock" and maintaining the Shelby's value?

Does it void any warranty? I wouldn't think so...

Also, can the original mufflers be taken off and put back on later without any issues to, again, maintain the collectibility factor? Don't get me wrong here, I'm driving this baby! :happy feet:

Please help...thanks!

Just looking for a little meaner sound coming out the back...what are your thoughts to replace? Also, my concern is the potential of compromising what is "stock" and maintaining the Shelby's value?

No.

Also, can the original mufflers be taken off and put back on later without any issues to, again, maintain the collectibility factor? Don't get me wrong here, I'm driving this baby! :happy feet:

Yes you can.

Please help...thanks!

You're welcome.

Easy change to do an axle back kit. I changed mine right after I got mine home, put the Ford GTA mufflers on and there just a little louder than stock and have nice 4" chrome tips and look much better. These should have been the stock mufflers.

But I want louder so I'm changing again.

An axle back should not cause any warrany problems, but if in doubt ask dealer.

Just store your orginal mufflers, so that they could be put back on. It would be a shame to put them back on though.

I called Ford Racing on this very subject and they stated, "no" it's not a warranty breaker, however their offerings (aka. Mufflers, FR-1 kits etc.) just doesn't add sound, it also increases exhaust air flow. Better stated, your engine will definitely notice the lack of back pressure because the new part will allow more exhaust to exit the tail pipe from your engine than stock mufflers. Ironically, the stock mufflers from a GT500 permits way more exhausting air than a stock Mustang GT or SGT, why? 5.4 Liters vs. 4.6 Liters. If you have an 08 GT500 with the X-pipe package, then you'll have a noteable gain in volumic flow. Problem? Only if the computer sees it as a problem and decides to compensate for it by chocking or opening the inlet. The computer isn't stupid, it is constantly trying to keep the legal emission parameters in play, regardless of what part you slap on it. As far as installing the muffler...very easy to install. Purposely designed for after market crowd and anyone wanting bigger and better. I for one specialized in flow & pressure dynamics through the aviation business and figured why screw with a good thing and half *** it. Why, out engineer the engineers, therefore I went with complete FR-1 package for a few hundred dollars more, had the dealer install it for the warranty piece, and had them reprogram it to compensate for the increased airflow. Sounds funny huh? Compensate? Fact is, you increase flow on one end and decrease pressure on the other. This change needs to be balanced by reprogramming the system to increase the low end. That compensater (aka. reprogrammer) piece which will eventually balance both end and indirectly causing your car to produce more horse power. Look at it this way, your getting ready to water your lawn...so you throw out your hose, sprinkler out there to cover about 10' of yard. You have one of those swinging back and forth type sprinklers and you turn on the fawcet and adjust the pressure to cover that patch. Then you stop the flow for a second and pinch the hose to swap out with an bigger sprinkler. Once swapped out, your notice your bigger sprinkler isn't as high or as fast, so you go back to your fawcet and turn it up alittle more. Now you have the same water height, but now the sprinkler is swinging back and forth faster and dumping more water than before. Hence, more power and getting the job done quicker. And yes, if you're wondering if your gas mileage will go down, does you water bill go up? Yes to both.

Keep in mind, if it looks simple enough for you to do, it's probably not.

Airborne

I called Ford Racing on this very subject and they stated, "no" it's not a warranty breaker, however their offerings (aka. Mufflers, FR-1 kits etc.) just doesn't add sound, it also increases exhaust air flow. Better stated, your engine will definitely notice the lack of back pressure because the new part will allow more exhaust to exit the tail pipe from your engine than stock mufflers. Ironically, the stock mufflers from a GT500 permits way more exhausting air than a stock Mustang GT or SGT, why? 5.4 Liters vs. 4.6 Liters. If you have an 08 GT500 with the X-pipe package, then you'll have a noteable gain in volumic flow. Problem? Only if the computer sees it as a problem and decides to compensate for it by chocking or opening the inlet. The computer isn't stupid, it is constantly trying to keep the legal emission parameters in play, regardless of what part you slap on it. As far as installing the muffler...very easy to install. Purposely designed for after market crowd and anyone wanting bigger and better. I for one specialized in flow & pressure dynamics through the aviation business and figured why screw with a good thing and half *** it. Why, out engineer the engineers, therefore I went with complete FR-1 package for a few hundred dollars more, had the dealer install it for the warranty piece, and had them reprogram it to compensate for the increased airflow. Sounds funny huh? Compensate? Fact is, you increase flow on one end and decrease pressure on the other. This change needs to be balanced by reprogramming the system to increase the low end. That compensater (aka. reprogrammer) piece which will eventually balance both end and indirectly causing your car to produce more horse power. Look at it this way, your getting ready to water your lawn...so you throw out your hose, sprinkler out there to cover about 10' of yard. You have one of those swinging back and forth type sprinklers and you turn on the fawcet and adjust the pressure to cover that patch. Then you stop the flow for a second and pinch the hose to swap out with an bigger sprinkler. Once swapped out, your notice your bigger sprinkler isn't as high or as fast, so you go back to your fawcet and turn it up alittle more. Now you have the same water height, but now the sprinkler is swinging back and forth faster and dumping more water than before. Hence, more power and getting the job done quicker. And yes, if you're wondering if your gas mileage will go down, does you water bill go up? Yes to both.

Keep in mind, if it looks simple enough for you to do, it's probably not.

Airborne

please tell me you're kidding, or you've been drinking????

Maybe drinking or just rambling

The analogy is a bit of a stretch

I have found on most bolton applications and tuning it can improve fuel mileage as well as HP but most fuel gains won't be realised due to the extra amount of force applied to the accelerator (Fun factor) :happy feet: :shift: :happy feet:

please tell me you're kidding, or you've been drinking????

Just installed the FRPP 5GTs yesterday. LOVE the sound, much better than stock but not too offensive. IMO there is a"slight" drone, but if you use your radio ,which I don't, you wouldn't hear it. Its not bad at all. They do stick out 1" from rear valance, but this inch has the Ford Racing stamped and looks quite nice. I'm TOTALLY happy with these and it is a SIMPLE install.

Don't touch the stuff; point being, changing backpressure can cause an effect. Some mufflers change the attenuation and do nothing else, my conversation with Ford Racing was that they not only raise the sound but the flow (thus reducing back pressure), in fact, I have that in writing of a stock GT over a GT500, key word being "flow". The computer will compensate. This should prove helpful; here's some more help factoids about flow and it's effects. See; http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler5.htm, http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler.htm, and if your technically savvy then read on and purchase the rest of this study by SAE http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/730195. Bottomline, what comes out effects what goes in and what goes in, effects what comes out. Principles are the same despite today's advancement in automotive design. Question you should ask before buying any part that might effect your warranty is, if I buy muffler "xyz", how will it effect my overall performance. Ford's products are tested and proven to work in conjunction with the parameters they've set. Hence, the warranty coverage by FRPP. Anything else, is on you.

Maybe I should have clarified, reprogramming and tuning are the same. If you install and "tuned" then you're done.

Airborne

Just installed the Borla Ford Racing 5GT's. Purchased from Blue Oval Industries through Ebay. Great price and fast delivery. They were easy to install, and sound much better than the stock version. The drone is at 1800 rpm's. Just keep it slightly above 2000 rpm's or better, and it's fine.

:happy feet: Very happy! :happy feet:

Please help...thanks!

If you are looking for a meaner sound, I'm selling my Bassani Axle-backs. They sound great. I'm going to full 3" exhaust, so the Bassanis have to go. PM me if you're interested.

doesn't give them justice, but it gives you an idea.

I called Ford Racing on this very subject and they stated, "no" it's not a warranty breaker ...

Unfortunately you called the part of Ford that's interested in selling FRPP components, not the warranty department.

While some FRPP components carry their own warranty (usually 1 year), what you want to be concerned about is your car's overall factory warranty [and ESP if you bought one].

Original factory warranty coverage is usually determined by the service manager at each Ford dealership, so talk with yours before doing anything. One I spoke with would bless just the axle-back mufflers, but not the entire performance kit that includes the mufflers, a free-flow air intake, and a computer modification to optimize them. The service manager may also want a blessed part to be installed by his people to ensure that it's done correctly with no incidental damage.

ESP is tougher. Here Ford ESP inspectors have the final say, not a local service manager. If you call Ford ESP information at (800) 367-3377, you will probably be warned off any modification whatever, including axle-backs. That was my experience. The older and mileager a car is, of course, the more something can go wrong with it, and ESP obviously has a $-motive to deny coverage.

So if you plan on keeping your car a long time and have it ESP-covered, I recommend you leave it stock. If you want to mod it, buy ESP at your risk. And during the original warranty period, do get the blessing of your local service manager beforehand if you want your warranty to stay intact.

Michael

Archived