TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I am going to learn to like cleaning my own car!

iceman

Well I had a nice little scare today and so did the detailing crew at my local Ford dealer that I have until this point been very happy with. I took the car in this morning and dropped it off for a "professional" detail so it would be nice and clean when we start the trip to SHelbyfest since I'll be out of town next week most of the time and the car still has filth on it from my rainy adventure to Evolution a couple of weeks ago. I took it to a place last time that did such a bad job on the wax I had to re-do it when i got home. So this time I took my jeep in first and had it done thinking if anyone can make that crappy thing look good the Shelby will be a breeze. They did a great job on my jeep so in goes the Shelby.

Drop it off and Kelly gets me and home I go to work for a few hours then I go get Kyle and he wants to go see the Mustang when it's not in the garage so I said OK then we can get some McDonalds and eat lunch together and avoid a little work. I walk in and the car is looking pretty good. The wheels are nice and shiney and they even put on my sealer wax to try to keep them as nice as I can. Then the guy doing this tells me they are having problems getting the car to run after hosing it down???? I quickly jump in and turn the key and it fires and then stalls. Did it again and got a failsafe message and a code so I pulled it with my tuner and wrote it down. I cleared it put the tune back in and tried again - same thing. I was starting to feel the blood rush to my head and popped the hood. I go look under and there is water all over the place. I asked what the FU$% since he told me he put tape over the vents to wash the car....Oh well we just used the hose under the hood not the pressure washer he says. I now knew that something was wrong due to this and he admitted it drove fine until then. I managerd to calmly explain that I was going to use his head as a bowling ball after I gutted him like a fish. I had to almost wisper it in his ear since my son was there still. I saw the tears coming into his eyes and he went to get the techs.....Which I have to admit they have some good ones here.

While that was going on I called Fred at Evolution and explained my issue and before I finished Fred told me what to do as they have seen it before. I probably didn't listen that well the first time as I had to call back and bug him again because I was still shaking a bit. We pulled the battery cable and then the plugs to the computer and dried them out VERY well and tried again and it was better but not right. We then went to the MAFia thing and did it on the plugs and no change. I then pulled the red plug of rubber off and they blew dry the inside and there was about a spec of water that came out but when we tried it again the care fired right up and idled right and the Fuel pressure and A/F gauges were normal and I felt a lot better. Not good enough to apologize though...so i didn't. I repeated what Fred told me about the f'ing water under the hood to the detail crew and they promised me no more.

I learned a lesson the hard way here and figured if others are cleaning under the engine or having people that would put water directly onto the engine they may want to know about this and advise "No more water under the hood" ad Fred told me.

All will be OK but it was not a good feeling. Thank you once again to Fred and Shawn at Evolution for taking the time to help me out. I may have made the news for beating a skinny guy to death if not for them.

boy, glad it worked out. but it probably took a couple of years of your life due to stress and frustration :banghead: good thing your son was with you to keep things moderate.

can't imagine why they think it is ok to just start spraying water into a modern engine compartment. Lots of bad things possible :censored:

boy, glad it worked out. but it probably took a couple of years of your life due to stress and frustration :banghead: good thing your son was with you to keep things moderate.

can't imagine why they think it is ok to just start spraying water into a modern engine compartment. Lots of bad things possible :censored:

Sorry i could not help not commenting on your sig.... :hysterical:

Which one of the two is the new bad habit........... :hysterical2: ?

I never trust anyone else with washing the Shelby. My brother-in-law use to have the same issue after washing his CTS-V and getting water on the engine.

I put foam plugs in the heat extractors prior to washing my car. It does a fairly good job at keeping the water out of the engine bay - I read about this on a thread somewhere. I just bought some 2" inch foam at Michael's and made some cut-outs that were slightly larger than the extractor opening. There's no need to accurately match the shape of the opening - just approximate the shape. I always make sure the engine cools down a bit before I use the plugs to keep from melting the foam.

Glad it was nothing serious.

I never trust anyone else with washing the Shelby. My brother-in-law use to have the same issue after washing his CTS-V and getting water on the engine.

I put foam plugs in the heat extractors prior to washing my car. It does a fairly good job at keeping the water out of the engine bay - I read about this on a thread somewhere. I just bought some 2" inch foam at Michael's and made some cut-outs that were slightly larger than the extractor opening. There's no need to accurately match the shape of the opening - just approximate the shape. I always make sure the engine cools down a bit before I use the plugs to keep from melting the foam.

If a little water getting in through the heat extractors is enough to cause a problem then wouldn't be fair to say you can't drive these cars in the rain???? More water from the rain would get in there than what would get in from hosing down the car when washing it.

I have not had a problem I hose down the engine as well. I just don't SOAK it and just spray over quickly. Then I wipe it all down.

At first I was a little concerned so I talked to our master tech to make sure it is OK to wash the motor. He said it won't hurt it and to do it while it is hot which will make it easier to wash off any dirt and grease. So far no problems, but like I said, I don't sit there and soak it down with water, I just mist over everything real quick then wipe it down.

Sorry i could not help not commenting on your sig.... :hysterical:

Which one of the two is the new bad habit........... :hysterical2: ?

..you're the first one to ask :hysterical:

my only really bad habit is my ponytail; my wife is ready to cut it off or possibly pull it out by the roots some night after I go to bed :D

... that and never knowing whether I'm online as badcat or kcmo... :superhero:

I just take the easy/lazy way and put a large towel on top of the engine, under where the vents drain. Not that much water comes through the vents anyway, unless you direct the spray directly into the vents.

Thanks for the info. My Mustang needs a complete detail and I was just going to wash down the engine compartment tomorrow. I'll have to be a bit more careful. I am use to just washing down my Jeep engines with the garden hose.

post-3252-1207971665_thumb.jpg

post-3252-1207971665_thumb.jpg

back when I was young, I had a friend with a station wagon that used to belong to the us forest service; so not any carpet, had vinyl seats etc. We would pull into a car wash, wash the outside, and then open the doors and wash the inside. Very effective.

The heat extractors on the standard GT500 are rather narrow and are at a steep angle. However the heat extractors on the SS and other aftermarket hoods look huge with very large gaps between the slats. I hope this doesn't become an issue for them.

I haven't done it w/ the Shelby yet, but in my past cars I would lightly, quickly spray (more like a mist) the engine and engine compartment (cold engine) and then use a tire/wheel brush w/ light soap to clean everything off. This is followed by another light spray mist to rinse everything down. I would avoid the electrical connectors that look more exposed. Following this, I would then start the engine to let it warm up and evaporate any water. The results were always good. Following this, one can complete any fine detail / cleaning to the extent he or she wants to.

I haven't done it w/ the Shelby yet, but in my past cars I would lightly, quickly spray (more like a mist) the engine and engine compartment (cold engine) and then use a tire/wheel brush w/ light soap to clean everything off. This is followed by another light spray mist to rinse everything down. I would avoid the electrical connectors that look more exposed. Following this, I would then start the engine to let it warm up and evaporate any water. The results were always good. Following this, one can complete any fine detail / cleaning to the extent he or she wants to.

Thanks. That was pretty much how I was going to do it. I was a little concerned to hear Fred at Evo recommend no water under the hood. I'll probably lay some old towels over the sensitive electrical connections, just as an added precaution.

Thanks. That was pretty much how I was going to do it. I was a little concerned to hear Fred at Evo recommend no water under the hood. I'll probably lay some old towels over the sensitive electrical connections, just as an added precaution.

I think that if you protect a few areas like you mention, that it should be fine too.

You been out mudding in that thing or what??? :hysterical:

Yep! It was at a Jeep Jamboree. My kids and I had a great time. That was the end of the 'new' engine compartment at 4000 miles!

Going outside now to wash the car. I will be doing the same thing. We have a seven day repeal of the no washing cars at home water restrictions here in Charlotte, so I am going to give my Mustang its first good wash since July!! This drought has been terrible here, but we are finally getting a lot of rain and our lakes and reservoirs are full again. :happy feet: :happy feet:

Glad to hear everything is ok ICE........ Thats one thing I never do to any of my cars is use water under the hood.

All I use is armorall, the same one that you use on the dash. I soak a rag with the stuff then proceed to wipe down every part of the engine bay, valve pans , hoses, firewall, strut tower brace, wires, under the hood, etc.etc...

It's time consuming but you'll be surprised how nice a job it does and how long it lasts. You don't have to fear getting water where water shouldn't be, such as what happened to you.

Just try this once and believe me you will never go back to what you were using before.

OH and when I say, soak the rag, I don't mean dripping wet, just spray the rag until it is completely damp.

I've done it to all my vehicles and it really works. :)

Glad to hear everything is ok ICE........ Thats one thing I never do to any of my cars is use water under the hood.

All I use is armorall, the same one that you use on the dash. I soak a rag with the stuff then proceed to wipe down every part of the engine bay, valve pans , hoses, firewall, strut tower brace, wires, under the hood, etc.etc...

It's time consuming but you'll be surprised how nice a job it does and how long it lasts. You don't have to fear getting water where water shouldn't be, such as what happened to you.

Just try this once and believe me you will never go back to what you were using before.

OH and when I say, soak the rag, I don't mean dripping wet, just spray the rag until it is completely damp.

I've done it to all my vehicles and it really works. :)

+1

Look what has happened to me from the dealer using harsh cleaner for the engine bay when they prepped my car.

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...amp;hl=aluminum

+1

Look what has happened to me from the dealer using harsh cleaner for the engine bay when they prepped my car.

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...amp;hl=aluminum

Man, that is a real pisser. Look's like whatever they used, caused a chemical reaction and oxidized the aluminum. Hate to say it but, I don't think what I see in the pics in going to be reversible. The damage is done. Sorry you had to experience this, but no one out there takes care of your own car like we each do, from my experiences with recent shops. A good one you can trust is "really" hard to find.

Azbud

Hate to say it but, I don't think what I see in the pics in going to be reversible.

Azbud

I agree...i will live through that and i will keep going, it is difficult to prove that it was their mistake and if they try to fix the problem something else may get screwed up ..so am ok with it and i will keep :shift:

I agree...i will live through that and i will keep going, it is difficult to prove that it was their mistake and if they try to fix the problem something else may get screwed up ..so am ok with it and i will keep :shift:

It sure is a confidense buster when a so called professional screws up. Somewhat similar thing happened to me recently with bringing my gt 500 to a recommended local mechanic to install the after market HID kit I bought on the web. I dropped off my car there and went to have some breakfast across the street and got a call on my cell phone about 45 minutes after I dropped off the car. They said they layed out the kit and got the wiring harness figured out and they main power supply from the car's harness fitting didn't match the harness on the kit. I told them to put it back to stock and picked up the car and the kit, paying $75. for their labor. I put the kit aside for a couple of weeks or longer and one evening decided to lay it out myself and check the fittings. Well, dog gone, I "read the instructions" and installed it myself and it worked just fine. I guess whoever the shop had do the attempted install, just couldn't read or understand plain english.

I plan on taking the car back to them and show the owner, Johnny, just how nice they look and ask him to give me my money back, of which I don't think he will, but just to make a point.

Azbud

This happens alot. Keep in kind most Detail shops are not proffesional or have the proper knowledge to detail a car/engine compartment properly. These places are what I would call glorified carwashes. Now before you drop off a car make sure and ask questions like,

What products do you use?-

What wash method do you use?

How do you wash under the hood?

do you apply wax or sealant?

also look around the shop if you see nice cars that are spotless and the shop is in order its probably a safe shop. If you see a buffer laying on the floor back away slowly and find another shop.

These simple things will help you decide if you trust them. Detailers are no different from doctors or contractors theres good one and bad ones.

ShowCar

Don't be afraid to wash the car at a self wash or something the water going into the heat extractors has never been an issue for me doing that. It was the genius move of hosing down the engine bay. I'll be using the method Keith mentioned or the guy I was referred that does the local Buggati (SP?) and collection of some guy that needs to adopt me.

I finally finished all the crap that wasn't completed when I took the car home. and removing the wated spots under the hood and in the trunk and hood seams. I probably need to look at the inside of the doors too but I have not done that yet. I need to poshish the inside of the rims but won't have tiome to do that before shelbyfest. I figure it will rain anyway so if I kill myself cleaning it will just piss me off. WHatit did make me thing of is getting a water proof cover for these events where I may be outside over night. I doubt that enough would get in to hurt anything but might as well be safe.

I'm still ticked off about this situation and I still hate cleaning cars but life goes on.

I have had my black vert GT500 for 11 months now and I have never washed with water yet. This may sound like a commercial but I use a product called "Wet Paint" this stuff works great. Read the article on their web site and believe it. (www.wetpaintglaze.com) I use a California Duster to go over the car first and just follow the derections. If you get it on rubber moldings like around the windshield wipe it off right away. I have no swirls or scratch marks.

Glad you didn't have to kill the skinny guy Ice! :hysterical2:

I hate cleaning/detailing my car too.... but I'm more afraid of taking it to anyone I don't know personally. I'd just be sick if I paid someone to screw up my paint or engine like yours almost did.

Enjoy the summer - cruising time is here!! :happy feet:

Archived