TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What Mods will you be making?

BoneDoc

Guys and Gals-

we all have a few little "tricks" we plan to put up our sleeves when we get our Shelby's

Can you each put together a short list of mods you plan to make. please list in the order in which you will modify. please list in 2 categories: "image" mods (paint, lettering, rims, etc.) and "performannce" mods.

my plans (in this order):

Performance mods:

tune

tires

swap pully

exhaust

Image mods:

new SHELBY lettering centered on the rear decklid

I plan to re-paint the stripes/lettering black (i ordered grabber ornage/white)

Rims

Can anyone tell me which performance mods will void the warranty?

Guest evilchris

Guys and Gals-

we all have a few little "tricks" we plan to put up our sleeves when we get our Shelby's

Can you each put together a short list of mods you plan to make. please list in the order in which you will modify. please list in 2 categories: "image" mods (paint, lettering, rims, etc.) and "performannce" mods.

my plans (in this order):

Performance mods:

tune

tires

swap pully

exhaust

Image mods:

new SHELBY lettering centered on the rear decklid

I plan to re-paint the stripes/lettering black (i ordered grabber ornage/white)

Rims

Tune and pulley will DEFINITELY void your warranty. I don't know of a dealer who is enough of an ass to complain about simple exhaust mods.

Simply making modifications will not automatically void the warranty. We've discussed this before, but it's been awhile. If you can PROVE that the modification you made did not in any way cause the failure, then you'll get the item covered under warranty. Granted, the burden of proof will likely be on you...so be prepared for a battle when you take it in for repair. It's tough to think of a good example, but I'll try this one. Let's say you changed the ring and pinion, and a week later a valve in the engine started sticking and making noise. I think you'd have a pretty easy time arguing that the rear end change had nothing to do with the valve failure. On the other hand, if you have a "tune" done, and a week later you have that same valve problem....you'll have a tough time proving that it wasn't caused by the tune....that will be an uphill battle.

Good luck, and keep us posted on the mods.

Dave

Guest evilchris

Simply making modifications will not automatically void the warranty. We've discussed this before, but it's been awhile. If you can PROVE that the modification you made did not in any way cause the failure, then you'll get the item covered under warranty. Granted, the burden of proof will likely be on you...so be prepared for a battle when you take it in for repair. It's tough to think of a good example, but I'll try this one. Let's say you changed the ring and pinion, and a week later a valve in the engine started sticking and making noise. I think you'd have a pretty easy time arguing that the rear end change had nothing to do with the valve failure. On the other hand, if you have a "tune" done, and a week later you have that same valve problem....you'll have a tough time proving that it wasn't caused by the tune....that will be an uphill battle.

Good luck, and keep us posted on the mods.

Dave

BS. Increasing supercharger output places additional stress on the ENTIRE drivetrain. A transmission failure can be uncovered by warranty from a pulley change. Ford is not giving you a free pass to mod the crap out of the car and maintain the warranty. Any engine mod made to increase horsepower can be blamed for any failure in the entire powertrain.

Service managers/writers have some latitude with this issue.

Talk to your's - see if he's "on your side."

Mine is. He gives me some peace of mind.

I agree. However, we've seen what happens when you get their "word" verbally. They either conveniently forget...or they quit, and the new service manager has a different opinion. I doubt you'll be able to get them to note in writing that "We'll still fix your car under warranty after you put a tune and a CAI kit on".

RUF, hope yours stays on the job for quite some time.

Dave

Guest evilchris

Careful, most people in the car biz change positions or dealerships very often.

A pulley can be changed back before taking it in for service but a tune can't be changed back as far as I know.

Yes it can. Don't believe the recent hype either about the ECM writing to some sort of unerasable NVRAM either. You can reflash with no evidence of having done so.

PERFORMANCE MODS:

3.73 or 4.10 Gears (Ford Racing)

Cold Air Intake (Ford Racing)

Magnaflo Exhaust

93 Octane Tuning (Alternative Auto Performance)

2.60" Pully Swap (Metco)

IMAGE MODS:

Window Scoops (Cervini's)

Side Scoops (Cervini's)

Mirror Covers (Midwest Auto Gear)

3.5" Magnaflo Exhaust Tips

Rims (American Racing, Shelby 40th Anniversary. 19X9.5 front, 19X10 Rear)

Hood Pin's (Ford Racing)

Vanity Plates (07SHLBY)

Guest evilchris

PERFORMANCE MODS:

3.73 or 4.10 Gears (Ford Racing)

Cold Air Intake (Ford Racing)

Magnaflo Exhaust

93 Octane Tuning (Alternative Auto Performance)

2.60" Pully Swap (Metco)

IMAGE MODS:

Window Scoops (Cervini's)

Side Scoops (Cervini's)

Mirror Covers (Midwest Auto Gear)

3.5" Magnaflo Exhaust Tips

Rims (American Racing, Shelby 40th Anniversary. 19X9.5 front, 19X10 Rear)

Hood Pin's (Ford Racing)

Vanity Plates (07SHLBY)

WARRANY? WHAT WARRANY!

NOoOOooOooOOOO fake scoops PLEEEEASSSEE!!!

NOoOOooOooOOOO fake scoops PLEEEEASSSEE!!!

Evilchris, I have read many of your other posts. You seem to be well informed. With the exeption of the "fake" scoops, What do you think of the other mods I listed?

Guest evilchris

Evilchris, I have read many of your other posts. You seem to be well informed. With the exeption of the "fake scoops" What do you think of the mods I listed?

Looks great, if you like the scoops go for it, I'm just into function over form and I think the clean lines the GT500 has should stay.

Service managers/writers have some latitude with this issue.

Talk to your's - see if he's "on your side."

Mine is. He gives me some peace of mind.

The guy at my dealership said that they have looked the other way on many occasions, but he feels that any failures on these cars will have a team from Ford crawling all over them, especially in the first several months.

Ford Cat-back exhaust & mufflers

Dealers is bolt-on friendly, but says a tune will void warranty

I will see if they will allow 3.73 gears if they install them.

Ford Performance Parts says GT500 parts will be availible aprox. November 06

for starters...

performance:

engine: JLT cai, Metco 2.6" pulley, (3.73 or 4.10, decisions...) gears, stainless works long tubes, 3" mid pipe, 3" catback, whatever spark plugs that are appropriate, bap if needed, jon lund tune. Bogart wheels (fat and skinnies) for the track.

other: 2 piece slotted rotors (when I can find them), coil overs (still deciding on brand, either KW or Ground Control), set up for a road race/street setup that I will drag race on...perhaps some chassis stiffening, and maybe an S&W chromolly 8 point cage w/ swingouts.

looks:paint stripes, add cervinis window and side scoops (I may take them off if I don't like em), paint mirrors and some other misc black parts on the outside.

misc: eclipse avn5435 w/ every accessory they offer (nav, hd radio, sirius, etc). This will actually be my first mod that goes into the car.

eventually...

performance: ford gt block w/ billet i beam rods and 9.1:1 pistons, kb 2.6 or whipple 3.3 blower, build up rear end, build up trans.

looks: 19 or 20 inch wheels

BTW, I got the call, she will be here tomorrow!

Very soon after delivery I plan to:

Change shifter to Hurst or similar for T-56

Change wheels to chrome plated version of stock wheel or FR500 wheel

Cervini rear side window louvers

Rear window aluminum louvers

HID headlights and fogs on auto control

3.90 rear gear

Some brand (TBD) of new muffler/tailpipes for better sound with performance

As the aftermarket tumers figure this car out, I will likely do something to increase boost and tune to what ever the safe and effective level turns out to be.

I'll add satin aluminum trim items to the interior and likely redo the seats in two tone blue/black with some embroidery. Add some chrome trim under the hood.

All in good time, I am really looking forward to driving, modifiying and enjoying this car for a long time. I for one am glad the production numbers are climbing and the popularity of the car will ensure a healthy aftermarket.

1.Change shifter asap

2.Gear install (3.73 or 4.10)

3.Set of Drag wheels for the track

4. boost (KB or wipple) learned this from my supercharged HD F150 you spend about the same money in tunes and pulleys and porting the stock blower to and still not be at the same power as if you bought a new blower

4.Tune not by mail

Exhuast proble cat back wait and see if headers and new cats are worth the power

5. Hopefuly need a roll bar ie quicker then 11.49

Archived