TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wrote a letter to Ford about obscene ADM

MYGT500

I wrote a letter Friday to Ford about the out of control pricing on the GT500 :here is their

response..

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding GT 500 sales.

Ford Motor Company is concerned with the satisfaction of all Ford and Lincoln Mercury owners. We regret the circumstances that have prompted you to contact us. Excellent dealer service helps us maintain our customers' goodwill. When that service is not satisfactory, we appreciate being advised so the information may be forwarded to the appropriate department. Feedback helps us keep dealer sales performance at the highest possible level.

However, Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealerships are independently owned and operated and as such, we are unable to intervene directly in sales issues. If you have not already done so, we would recommend you provide feedback to the Management Team at the dealership, we believe they would also appreciate knowing the details of your dissatisfaction.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,

Crystal

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

Basically they say their hands are tied...THIS IS BS..they have the power to grant or take away dealerships,

car allocations and awards...Major Copout..

With the downsizing at Ford, it seems obvious that the number of Ford dealerships will have to go down too. Certainly, there are many big, high-volume dealerships that would not be threatened. One might hope, however, that those dealerships charging high ADMs and who dump on customers might be reminded that some franchises will be pulled sometime in the "probably-not-so-distant-future."

MYGT500, you can also try sending a letter to this adderess. A well written letter that shows concern for the damage being done to Ford's corporate reputation will get at least some corporate attention (even it they say they can't do anything). Letters by real customers explaining how, in your opinion, the specific actions of the dealer sullies Ford's good name get attention, if not action. Might be the best you can hope for. I've written on previous occasions. Once got no meaningfull response (form letter), once got a letter from WCF's office assigning a personal representative to help me resolve the problem (which he did). Good luck if you decide to try again. This address should at least get it to his administrative staff.

William Clay Ford, Jr.

c/o Board of Directors

Ford Motor Company

P.O. Box 685

Dearborn, MI 48126-0685

U.S.A.

MYGT500, you can also try sending a letter to this adderess. A well written letter that shows concern for the damage being done to Ford's corporate reputation will get at least some corporate attention (even it they say they can't do anything). Letters by real customers explaining how, in your opinion, the specific actions of the dealer sullies Ford's good name get attention, if not action. Might be the best you can hope for. I've written on previous occasions. Once got no meaningfull response (form letter), once got a letter from WCF's office assigning a personal representative to help me resolve the problem (which he did). Good luck if you decide to try again. This address should at least get it to his administrative staff.

William Clay Ford, Jr.

c/o Board of Directors

Ford Motor Company

P.O. Box 685

Dearborn, MI 48126-0685

U.S.A.

Thanks 68fastback I think I'll write a letter as well.

CC

Thanks 68fastback I think I'll write a letter as well.

CC

Guys, get over it. It is a hot product. Things will calm down soon. You can't threaten to remove a dealer if they charge an ADM on a Shelby. That would never hold up in court if the dealer sued Ford for wrongful termination. Everything is not so simple. Saturn is getting away with it because they have buy-in from all thier dealers in regards to no-haggle pricing. It gets around price-fixing. Pontiac does not have this. Ford does not do one price selling. Just suck it up. Prices are already coming down......

Wise words. Why it should be simple

That's why I applaud our local dealer -- they've gotten 2, will get 8 all together, list of well over 50 names (some with "substantial" offers), and they're still charging only a 5K ADM for every one including the first because they feel screwing customers you've had for 60 years isn't smart business. I won't pay an ADM (and they know that), but that's ok -- their price is fair (not a negotiable 'shill' price) and I can respect dealers who do what's right for their customers, not because they have to, but because they truly believe it's the right thing to do for themselves as well.

Funny, when I asked the GM when I can have one at $300 over invoice (just kidding him) he said: you know I can't do that, Dan, but check back with me this winter and I'll let you know if things change -- no promises. An honest guy who's been in the business for a long time.

An honest guy who's been in the business for a long time.

Hmmm In the general state of things today, the honest guy finishes last.( so it seems) but when I was a young target in the service, we would march 10 miles single file, and when we got to the middle of nowhere, we would get a rest and a lecture. One of the first was called in a long way,"and the first shall be last." And then we would about face and the tail end charlies from the out would be first on the way back. Thats my plan and I'm sticking to it. :shift:

Hmmm In the general state of things today, the honest guy finishes last.( so it seems) but when I was a young target in the service, we would march 10 miles single file, and when we got to the middle of nowhere, we would get a rest and a lecture. One of the first was called in a long way,"and the first shall be last." And then we would about face and the tail end charlies from the out would be first on the way back. Thats my plan and I'm sticking to it. :shift:

that philo works for me too ....even at $300 over invoice it will be a stretch for me -- and that quote was originally lifted from someone in the desert with the initials JC, I think :)

With the downsizing at Ford, it seems obvious that the number of Ford dealerships will have to go down too. Certainly, there are many big, high-volume dealerships that would not be threatened. One might hope, however, that those dealerships charging high ADMs and who dump on customers might be reminded that some franchises will be pulled sometime in the "probably-not-so-distant-future."

ADM's on Shelby's will have somewhere around, say, 0% to do with who gets the axe. The criteria will focus on which dealers can/can't handle the market they are in profitably. Certainly customer satisfaction will play a part, but the reality is "customer" is defined as someone who recently purchased, not someone complaining on the sidelines about Shelby prices. You need to really step back and get the big picture. For Ford to worry about Shelby ADM's right now would be like a drowning man worrying about his socks getting wet.

Guest evilchris

ADM's on Shelby's will have somewhere around, say, 0% to do with who gets the axe. The criteria will focus on which dealers can/can't handle the market they are in profitably. Certainly customer satisfaction will play a part, but the reality is "customer" is defined as someone who recently purchased, not someone complaining on the sidelines about Shelby prices. You need to really step back and get the big picture. For Ford to worry about Shelby ADM's right now would be like a drowning man worrying about his socks getting wet.

It's that shortsightedness that makes Ford fail. Only care about people's opinions after they've bought from you? rofl. The big picture is Ford and its dealers are CLUELESS as to how to maintain a professional and courteous image.

It's that shortsightedness that makes Ford fail. Only care about people's opinions after they've bought from you? rofl. The big picture is Ford and its dealers are CLUELESS as to how to maintain a professional and courteous image.

The shortsightedness that is making Ford fail right now is the fact that they did nothing to anticipate the current fuel prices and adjust model line-up accordingly (seems everyone but Ford saw it coming). Not to mention that Ford vehicles are boooooring (except the Mustang and trucks). The Focus is a joke, the 500 is dull, and even the Fusion isn't all that inspiring. Then throw in the Freestyle and Freestar to pound more nails in the coffin. That's the big picture.

Now, It's not that "I" don't care, but the "reality" is that Ford as a corporate entity only looks at survey results (or so it seems). Survey's are only given to buyers. Narrow minded and short sighted? Yes. However, it is also true that dealers in general fall right in line with that thinking. It is most definitely a lose, lose, lose situation (customers, dealers, and Ford).

Now, for a twist (and a little side track): the biggest problem with the public's perception of dealers in general is not with ADM's (believe me, 99.99% of Ford's customer base could care less about what the GT500 is being sold for). It is quite the opposite - low-ball ads in papers are one of the biggest obsticals to dealers' credibility. You know the ones that promise unbelievable discounts, but that when you check them out, they don't have any, or there are plenty of dealer fees to make up the loss - the list of tricks is seemingly endless. But the irony is that everyone who actually sets foot in the door of a dealership based on one of those ads effectively validates the tactic. Sad but true.

And, as a salesman, I don't write the ads, nor do I set the ADM on the Shelby.

Now, for a twist (and a little side track): the biggest problem with the public's perception of dealers in general is not with ADM's (believe me, 99.99% of Ford's customer base could care less about what the GT500 is being sold for). It is quite the opposite - low-ball ads in papers are one of the biggest obsticals to dealers' credibility. You know the ones that promise unbelievable discounts, but that when you check them out, they don't have any, or there are plenty of dealer fees to make up the loss - the list of tricks is seemingly endless. But the irony is that everyone who actually sets foot in the door of a dealership based on one of those ads effectively validates the tactic. Sad but true.

Exactly -- self-perpetuating. The major networks got caught in the same trap, I think. First challenged by the cable stations some 30 years ago (like the domestic auto industry by Japan), they started 'creative headlining' to keep their Nielsen's and preserve ad rates. Now 30 years later, network news is far less trusted and far less unbiassed. The public eventually gets tired with the rhetoric in general, followed closely by pi$$ed at getting hoodwinked, whether a vacuuous headline or legally deceptive advertisement (not that the change in the FTC laws helped any in 1994).

Not to go too far off topic, but I think we're starting to see more and more kids growing up who have trust for almost no one because they grow up on a fire-hose diet of legally perfected BS. It's kinda sad because those are the kids that withdraw further from the bonds of the society. Some still achieve, but so many are discouraged from working at achieving anything 'honest.' The extremes grow and middle shrinks as we move toward a highly polarized society focussed only on the modus operandi of what works -- at the extremes -- and the middle-ground bed-rock of a society based on honesty and doing what's right degenerates into deception and doing whatever will make you win right now. Any wonder we, as a society, have so much more difficulty today dealing frankly with the durable issues of our time when durable has become irrelevant.

The phrase "faking it 'til I'm making it" comes to mind. Somehow it makes me shiver because in a healthy society the two terms tend to be mutually exclusive.

---------------------

Ok, everybody up, deep breath, let's get out there and make those numbers! <lol> Life isn't fair but that doesn't mean each of us can't be and still be successful -- but it's sure getting tougher to practice that these days. I think maye that's the gut-level core of the ADM issue.

Sorry for the :soapbox:

68fastback,

I don't mind your soapbox post; I agree with what you said and while I'm aware my efforts will carry little weight with the powers that be at Ford, I'm not inclined to "get over it."

+1 it's like voting; individually just one vote; collectively a nation. The power of numerous well-written letters is staggering (even if Ford never lets on for various reasons ;-)

I'm a patient person... worked on too many business projects that took years to get funded and years more to make happen. To my mind "get over it" is just a cry to accept defeat because we're so powerless. Not! ;-)

Aside from business, it took me over 5 years to get a major national retail chain to comply with reatail sales rules in their NYS stores (practices that appeared [ahem] to be designed to deceive).

I like to think about the freight-jockeys in the rail-yards in the 50s. They used an 8-foot J-bar (long steel rod with a 3" 45-degree curve at the end. You'd jam it under the wheel of a freight car you needed to get rolling toward a switch and then pull down on the rod (more like shimmy up the rod, hang on, and wait). Sloooowly the rod starts coming down as the freight car starts creep forward. When you're feet hit the ground you immediately put your shoulder to the freight car and push (one person!) that 250,000 lb load -- as long as you keep pushing, it keeps moving. Give up and it will stop and it's back to the J-bar.

If enough of us push on Ford over a long enough period of time, the problem will get fixed. And I'm ok with it taking years, as long as it's successfully addressed -- we're just at the point of jambing that J-bar under the wheel, but it's a start. ;-)

I wrote a letter Friday to Ford about the out of control pricing on the GT500 :here is their

response..

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding GT 500 sales.

Ford Motor Company is concerned with the satisfaction of all Ford and Lincoln Mercury owners. We regret the circumstances that have prompted you to contact us. Excellent dealer service helps us maintain our customers' goodwill. When that service is not satisfactory, we appreciate being advised so the information may be forwarded to the appropriate department. Feedback helps us keep dealer sales performance at the highest possible level.

However, Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealerships are independently owned and operated and as such, we are unable to intervene directly in sales issues. If you have not already done so, we would recommend you provide feedback to the Management Team at the dealership, we believe they would also appreciate knowing the details of your dissatisfaction.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,

Crystal

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

Basically they say their hands are tied...THIS IS BS..they have the power to grant or take away dealerships,

car allocations and awards...Major Copout..

THIS IS THE EXACT LETTER I GOT when I did the samething :doh:

The Customer Relationship Center has no discretionary powers -- they'll just log complaints and send form letters that politely say, to paraphrase, 'we love you, see the dealer, they set prices.' Of course, Ford knows it is actually their problem -- they just can't admit to that since they have no legal responsibility for pricing under the franchise agreement. But...

The idea is to get the letter to Bill Ford's office, IMO. He most likely won't even see it (except for the occasional extraordinary letter that represents broad sentiment) -- but once there's 'enough' letters on an issue and staff alerts the executive team that there appears to be a genuine/trending PR problem in the form of collateral damage to the company's good name (possibly as part of the GT500 launch post-mortem), then the executive team has no choice but to address it. At that point someone inside Ford will get to own that problem (possibly Elena Ford's directorate, dunno).

Damage to a company's good name MUST be addressed (and it typically transcends contracts and agreements if there's a direct connection between actions and damage) because no executive is going to be the one to abdicate their responsibility to the corporation by ignoring a situation that jeopardizes its good name. Ford is likely not all that concerned about how much heat high-ADM dealers take and how much it might affect the individual dealer -- that's the dealer's problem/risk. What they care dearly about is if, and how much of, that damage is spilling over to them.

I'm fairly confident Ford knows ADMs are unpopular -- that's not the core issue, IMO. They are likely much less aware of the outright lying, deceptive practices, shill brokering, misrepresentation, and deal renegging some dealers engage in on a car like this (which can intersect with the franchise agreement).

If you feel a dealer has wronged you, Ford will care about that to the extent it impacts your propensity to buy a Ford product in the future. That's what it's all about and that's what letters need to address, IMHO, since Ford actually does have redress with its dealers on that.

Archived