TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My wheel/tire conundrum...

My problem was this...I wanted to add the SPP-BaerClaw front brake kit with matching rear rotors to my SGT, but I was put off from this because my stock SGT wheels could not accommodate this "oversized" brake kit. This kinda pizzed me off, and it still does. Seems like a marketing gimmick of sorts. In order to upgrade your stock SGT brake system, you have to move up to 20" wheels, and tires. Bullshit!

Now...Most guys here just take this in stride. After all, it is an excuse you can throw at the wifey while you throw some more money into your SGT, and add some style as well. But, I'm not like that. I don't want 20" aftermarket wheels and low profile tires that ride like rubbing 100 grit sandpaper over a watch crystal. If I am going to endure such a ride, it will be because of a high performance suspension system and not mis-matched wheels and tires. But, I digress...

Today...LuLu got four new wheels. 18X8, 8" wide, 50mm offset, forged aluminum Alcoa wheels.

These wheels are available from Ford Racing under P/N M-1007-M188P, and the Ford Accessory catalogue under 6R3Z-1007-N. These wheels are authorized Ford and Ford Racing parts, which I like. I want to keep my SGT as close to original as I can. These wheels also came stock on the 2003-04 Mercury Marauder, and I have some experience with them because of that. I owned three Marauders in my automotive history.

I found a matched set of four of these wheels on ebay, and they were delivered to my door for under 400 bucks. I took them to www.mirrorlook.com for clean-up and refinishing, and Larry did a right nice job of making them match the stock SGT wheel.

Why was this so important to me? Well...these wheels have a 50mm offset, and plenty of clearance for the Shelby-BaerClaw front brake/rear upgrade kits, and I don't have to buy more tires. The stock SGT 235/50-18 work on all four corners for now, and when I need to replace them, I can bump up the rears to 255/50-18 on the rear. This is plenty of tire for the SGT in it's stock profile.

On to something else?

Lug nuts.

The stock lug nut on the SGT is the same stock lug nut on all Ford products, which means it's sh*t in any high performance driving. Why? Well, it's a two-piece assembly. An aluminum cover over a steel core. Problem is, it comes apart. Hit it once, twice, three times with an impact wrench, and the cover comes off in your hand. Problem here, is that the steel core lug is something between a 14 and 17mm, which won't help you much in a tire change on a side road in the dark. My advice is to upgrade to a solid one-piece lug nut, like the Gorilla nuts. Look for them at your FLAPS.

My next project...Install the SPP BaerClaw kit with matching rears. Update ya'all after that...

Good choice, and good advice as usual LuLu. I went with these:

M-1007-S1895B1

Fits 2005-08 Mustang GT and 2007-08 SVT Mustang

5-lug, 4.5" bolt circle

7.125" backspacing

45 mm offset

18" x 9.5" wide

Same as production 2007-08 SVT Mustang except wheel face is gloss black with a machined lip

But I paid about 2X your E-bay price for new from Blue Oval Industries, and of course I do have to buy tires as well. :censored:

And also popped for a set of the gorilla lug nuts as well for the same reasons.

I opted for the GT500 Brembo set up with Steeda GT500 rear upgrade, still not installed. I wrestled with the same considerations you did. I wanted 18" and wanted to stay in the family.

Ya ya I know pictures, pictures...when I start test fitting and final install will comply. Racing season has started and besides it's been crap Shelby weather with the rain and snow in the PNW. Racing is fine, I just won't drive Shelby in it :happy feet:

Todd

07SGT1638

Great info! Have I missed something or have you been unusually quiet for awhile? Anyway, always look forward to your sage advice.

You're right, I have been quiet. LuLu was asleep for the winter and after I retired in January, I became very ill. But, all is well now. LuLu's awake and bristling with energy, and I have a clean bill of health from my DR. So, spring forward and don't look back. Heading out to ShelbyFest in MO. in two weeks, see y'all out on the roads.

Re. Lug Nuts

Go to eBay Motors and type in "1/2" lug nuts" and you'll get hundreds to choose from, if you want Made in the USA lug nuts look at the ones made by McGard The lug nuts on our cars aren't metric, their SAE 1/2 x 20. If you want to stay close to the factory size look for a 60-degree cone seat that uses a 13/16 socket and is apx. 1.40-inches tall; the 3/4" socket size ones will also work but the 13/16" is the same as the OEM diameter. Stay away from the "spline drive" ones, they're too small to work on OEM wheels IMO.

Hope that helps,

WP

You're right, I have been quiet. LuLu was asleep for the winter and after I retired in January, I became very ill. But, all is well now. LuLu's awake and bristling with energy, and I have a clean bill of health from my DR. So, spring forward and don't look back. Heading out to ShelbyFest in MO. in two weeks, see y'all out on the roads.

Glad to hear you're doing better. Hang in there; as a fellow retiree, I know first hand getting old isn't always fun, but it sure beats the alternative... Get more Vitamin Shelby into your daily routine! :shift:

Archived