TEAM SHELBY FORUM

At least GM is trying to curb ADM

CobraCrazy

Hard to believe I'm pointing to GM as a role model, and the effort they're making might be somewhat ineffective, but at least there's an effort:

High demand for a new vehicle has often led dealers to add a high markup over sticker price. And that's reportedly been the case with two of General Motors' recent hits, the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters. "Do those situations occur? You bet," acknowledges Saturn division general manager Jill Lajdzick. But the GM division, which has built its reputation on customer service and no-haggle pricing, recognizes the potential damage and is "counseling" dealers to stick with the sticker price. State franchising laws typically limit a manufacturer's ability to hold the line on prices. But Lajdzick notes that Saturn's unusual franchise agreement has more teeth than most dealer contracts. So those who try to squeeze a few thousand dollars more out of a Sky buyer may find themselves suddenly running short of that and other hot products.

(From The Car Connection.com)

Hard to believe I'm pointing to GM as a role model, and the effort they're making might be somewhat ineffective, but at least there's an effort:

High demand for a new vehicle has often led dealers to add a high markup over sticker price. And that's reportedly been the case with two of General Motors' recent hits, the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters. "Do those situations occur? You bet," acknowledges Saturn division general manager Jill Lajdzick. But the GM division, which has built its reputation on customer service and no-haggle pricing, recognizes the potential damage and is "counseling" dealers to stick with the sticker price. State franchising laws typically limit a manufacturer's ability to hold the line on prices. But Lajdzick notes that Saturn's unusual franchise agreement has more teeth than most dealer contracts. So those who try to squeeze a few thousand dollars more out of a Sky buyer may find themselves suddenly running short of that and other hot products.

Saturn is a completely different animal. Saturn prices AT sticker as a rule...no negotiations like there are at most other makes' showrooms. I'm sure there are some exceptions....but I used to charge a fee to help people buy cars at under MSRP when I was in college (negotiated 40 cars one year...averaged savings of $2,200 on an average sticker price of $18,600...12% savings) and the only dealership I could not be successful with was Saturn (I ended up convincing the person who wanted the Saturn to purchase a Mazda Protege...they are friends of mine and kept it for 140,000 miles...say it's the best car they ever had lol).

They have unique labor agreements and contracts with dealerships too. Not saying Ford couldn't renegotiate with dealerships...as a matter of fact, this may be in the cards given recent news of dealer consolidation...just saying that as of today they are different situations.

Dave

They are to be commended for these cars, but I don't think they have done anything with the corvette

Archived