TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Theory on Twin Screw SC

I felt that the stock '06 Saleen SC (rated at 435HP) had less low end torque than a NA 4.6. True that the screw comes on pretty quick, but I think that the added air routing on the twin screw sacrificed some bottom end for the added mid and high gains.

After I added the +40HP upgrade and the Granatelli coil packs to the Saleen, it was not noticeable. (Saleen's gone now, so please hold back the punches)

Now in the '08 SGT, I believe that my theory is correct, in that the SGT seems to have much better low-end torque than the 281SC had...

I'm planning to go with the Paxton when the EO comes through to keep it nostalgic and maintain the low end driveability of the factory intake.

Just my opinions...

I felt that the stock '06 Saleen SC (rated at 435HP) had less low end torque than a NA 4.6. True that the screw comes on pretty quick, but I think that the added air routing on the twin screw sacrificed some bottom end for the added mid and high gains.

After I added the +40HP upgrade and the Granatelli coil packs to the Saleen, it was not noticeable. (Saleen's gone now, so please hold back the punches)

Now in the '08 SGT, I believe that my theory is correct, in that the SGT seems to have much better low-end torque than the 281SC had...

I'm planning to go with the Paxton when the EO comes through to keep it nostalgic and maintain the low end driveability of the factory intake.

Just my opinions...

Remember that all superchargers cost you power in the lower RPMs. The added drag to the rotaing mass and powertrain equates to a loss of power until the boost kicks in, some designs as much as 60 percent. This is why many power hungry street racers opt for turbochargers that are driven by exhaust gasses. There, you lose nothing in the low end. Granted, a positive displacement blower will respond with boost that overcomes this drag sooner than a centrifugal blower, but both recover rather nicely.

BTW, I think you made the right choice to go with a Paxton. Not only is it very efficient, it's traditionally in the Shelby style.

Hmmm. I have JDM's Saleen stage II kit on my 07 GT and I have a ton more grunt at low RPMs (>2K) compared to the same car before adding the S/C. JDM does differ slightly on how they run the boost control vacuum line - maybe that's the difference.

Yeah I think my Whipple is making full boost at 2400 rpm very noticeably more lowend grunt.

Look at the charts, the Whipple has way more low boost than the Paxton. I am going that route because I have an Auto, and don't want to lose any more low end than necessary. tho, I conceed your point about the nastalgic end of things. Keep in mind Ford never goes that route on their own.

Has to a reason...................

Might consider matching up a 3.73 rear end gear to bridge the gap. Has anyone shnage the Torque converter on an auto in favor of a higher stall. did that on my 68 fastback and it made a huge difference coming out of the hole.

Curious......

Thankyou :)

Look at the charts, the Whipple has way more low boost than the Paxton. I am going that route because I have an Auto, and don't want to lose any more low end than necessary. tho, I conceed your point about the nastalgic end of things. Keep in mind Ford never goes that route on their own.

Has to a reason...................

Might consider matching up a 3.73 rear end gear to bridge the gap. Has anyone shnage the Torque converter on an auto in favor of a higher stall. did that on my 68 fastback and it made a huge difference coming out of the hole.

Curious......

If you have an auto your choices are the non-intercooled Paxton, non-intercooled FRPP/Whipple and Intercooled Paxton. The intercooled FRPP/Whipple cannot be used on automatics due to transmission issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Tuning issue. Should be no losses in the lower rpm ranges on twin screw setups.

There's another problem. Junk parts.

Remember that all superchargers cost you power in the lower RPMs.
Twin screw superchargers should not cost you anything down low if tuned properly.

Has anyone changed the Torque converter on an auto in favor of a higher stall.
I did. My twin turbo car went from 11.75 at 123 to 10.88 at 128 by switching to a Precision Industries 3500 multi-disc 9.5" converter.

The intercooled FRPP/Whipple cannot be used on automatics due to transmission issues.
Not if you have the right tuner. I highly recommend Doug Studdard at BamaChips. 205-302-0231

I went with a Magna Charger and I love it.. It's faster than some and slower than other. For me and what I wanted to do, it was the right choice. It's inter-cooled of course, why spend that much money and not get have it inter-cooler. It also came with the SCT programmer. I added shorty heads and Borla exhaust and I now have a rocket.... I'm turning 12.2's and 12.3's (an I don't claim to be the best drag racer). I'm happy with that for a weekend driver.

Jimmy

07SGT0441

+1 on the Stallion TC from Precision Industries. I too used a 3500 stall on my Marauders, and it rocked. Smaller than the factory TC, lighter for reduced drag/loss, and free inspection and stall adjustment for two years (you pay shipping). Good recommendation!

Archived