TEAM SHELBY FORUM

18 inch wheels -vs- 20 inch

First off let me state that this is not being posted to start a war about wheel size or to rag on anybodies choice of wheels. :dance:

I just noticed that in the FRPP catalogue the FR500 factory race car (and what a cool ride that is) has 18 inch wheels.

So my question is why?

I know that 20's are said to be great for performance, so why does this car not come with them for maximum performance?

First, there are not as many track tire choices (if any) for 20"s wheels.

Second, in the last SCCA "Sport Car" magazine. They had an article that said that while lower profile tires may perfrom better the margin of driver error is much smaller. The higher profile tires allowed the driver more forgivness.

Weight differences can be deceiving. Some times a 20" wheel can weigh less then an 18" wheel. It depends on the design and materials. Also in that same "Spots Car" issue they did auto cross testing with typical debated choices. R compound vs. DOT track tires, Shaved vs. unshaved :censored: , and light weight wheels vs. not light weight wheels. On the wheel weight one the difference was .2-.3 seconds on a less then 60 second course. Within the range of driver error.

I am hoping to get a set of 18" track wheels and tires for the 2009 season.

Second, in the last SCCA "Sport Car" magazine. They had an article that said that while lower profile tires may perfrom better the margin of driver error is much smaller. The higher profile tires allowed the driver more forgivness.

Weight differences can be deceiving. Some times a 20" wheel can weigh less then an 18" wheel. It depends on the design and materials. Also in that same "Spots Car" issue they did auto cross testing with typical debated choices. R compound vs. DOT track tires, Shaved vs. unshaved :censored: , and light weight wheels vs. not light weight wheels. On the wheel weight one the difference was .2-.3 seconds on a less then 60 second course. Within the range of driver error.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll stay with the higher profile tires because I really need all the forgiveness I can get when driving this car.

Thanks for your informative reply. :dance:

ook, So what your saying is I should be looking for a 10" wheel? Geez, now the whole brake issue got even worse

Edited cause Im an idiot sometimes.

+1 ShelbyPilot

I've tried a lot of them myself and have come to the conclusion that for a dual purpose car (street & track) a higher profile tire is more forgiving, predictable and comfortable all around. Plus in the 18-inch wheel, performance tire selection is more plentiful. Currently I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires on the street (275/40/18 front - 295/35/18 rear) and I just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires in similar profiles along with 18" wheels for the track.

mccoy, if you are refering to the Fikse/FRPP FR500 wheels they require larger wheel studs, 5/8-inch I believe; our stock studs are 1/2-inch; which is not a problem unless you have two, or more, different sets of wheels and tires.

+1 ShelbyPilot

I've tried a lot of them myself and have come to the conclusion that for a dual purpose car (street & track) a higher profile tire is more forgiving, predictable and comfortable all around. Plus in the 18-inch wheel, performance tire selection is more plentiful. Currently I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires on the street (275/40/18 front - 295/35/18 rear) and I just ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires in similar profiles along with 18" wheels for the track.

mccoy, if you are refering to the Fikse/FRPP FR500 wheels they require larger wheel studs, 5/8-inch I believe; our stock studs are 1/2-inch; which is not a problem unless you have two, or more, different sets of wheels and tires.

I put 20" wheels on my SGT after a panic stop on the 91 Freeway in So Cal........................... I did so because after that attempt to stop I wanted 14" brakes ......................This cars performance deserves better brakes , I think the stock brakes are inadequate for a 300 HP car ...........I love the Baer 14" Drilled an Slotted rotors ,Front and Rear I got from Shelby They give so much more confidence , and the feel of being conected to the road .............this is the reason for 20's .............I bought the Shelby Razors (Gray) on the White car ..................Have to say these wheels look better than any wheel I've seen..............................Zale Schuster

I put 20" wheels on my SGT after a panic stop on the 91 Freeway in So Cal........................... I did so because after that attempt to stop I wanted 14" brakes ......................This cars performance deserves better brakes , I think the stock brakes are inadequate for a 300 HP car ...........I love the Baer 14" Drilled an Slotted rotors ,Front and Rear I got from Shelby They give so much more confidence , and the feel of being conected to the road .............this is the reason for 20's .............I bought the Shelby Razors (Gray) on the White car ..................Have to say these wheels look better than any wheel I've seen..............................Zale Schuster

Would you please post some good pics of your vehicle, tire, wheel, brake combo?

Thank you

After weeks and weeks of trying to find a good looking 20" rim and tires to fit, I gave up. I'm just going to widen the stock rear rims to 11" and put some fat Nittos on her. Maybe some day someone will start making some descent rims for these cars.

Well there must be a great brake alternative for 18" wheels if the damn race car has them and wasnt FORCED to go to 20's just to get brakes that fit!

Hey Michael,

The GT500 wheels do the trick and they are 18". I gave up and bought a set from one of our GT500 friends who was buying Asanti wheels. Don't know what you think of the GT500 wheels but you might consider them.

Jim

Also, in response to the first question on the FR500 reason for 18"s, Grand-Am's rules specify the tire size for every car. Ford does not have a choice on wheel sizing. Being a tech inspector for Grand-Am I'm pretty versed in the rules. :)

Also, in response to the first question on the FR500 reason for 18"s, Grand-Am's rules specify the tire size for every car. Ford does not have a choice on wheel sizing. Being a tech inspector for Grand-Am I'm pretty versed in the rules. :)

AAAAhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaa! Your car looks really great BTW!

Archived