TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Car Insurance

altopcat

As someone posted in another forum earlier the VIN does indicate a Shelby GT and not just a Mustang GT. The VIN should indicates Shelby GT ("T82" in the VIN ). Therefore by giving them the VIN you are telling them its a Shelby GT. Ignorance is no excuse, even on the insurance companies part.

Check your own VIN, the "T82" if for Shelby GT coupe according to this and other sites http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/statsex...mp;f1=vinmatrix

according to this site T82 could be a Coupe GT, a Coupe Bullitt, OR a Coupe Shelby GT :huh:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have State Farm insurance on my vehicles and ran into the same issue. The agent ended up increasing the value equivalent to what the car stickered for over and above what a Mustang GT listed for in their database. He said it would have full coverage in case of a total loss. I paid MSRP for the car in a deal cut last March so that is what I wanted it covered for.

state farm $730 a year at stated value i paid sticker, sent them the receipt and sticker of package, they said

Your premium has already been adjusted by: big rip off if i did not have those

Premium Reductions:

Multiple Line 74.74

Multicar 88.94

Driving Safety Record 454.54

California Good Driver 91.22

Loyalty 80.10

according to this site T82 could be a Coupe GT, a Coupe Bullitt, OR a Coupe Shelby GT :huh:

I now see that. Well, Ill still say you have told them what it is and if a VIN suggests it could be more then one model maybe they should know what they are insuring before they insure it. They need to ask more questions. :reading:

I have USAA. My SGT/SC is Insured as a GT Premium with aftermarket modifications. If I wreck it I need to show USAA proof (reciepts) of the Shelby Mods for any compensation over the GT Premium. When I paid the Dealer for the Car I had him give me the original Shelby Invoice that Shelby used to bill the Dealer which shows the SGT package and cost. I also have the original reciepts from the Shelby Mod Shop. I hope I will never get to the point of needing to file a claim.

Pete.

Pete,

USAA told me the same thing. They always work with you and go with "replacement" coverage. I know because we had to use it on a 6 mos old vert my wife banged up.

I discussed this with my insurance agent over the past few days and finally had him understand that this is a SGT and not a Shelby GT 500 (or a Mustang GT).

I had to send him my window sticker, SAI Shelby window price sticker and a few pictures. He adjusted my coverage to a stated value.

My rates stayed the same. He figures that this car is not a daily driver and will never see snow.

I have been with this guy since I was 16, today I am 43. Guess it pays to be a long time customer. I have shopped around a few times, but his rates are reasonable.

Guess I can't complain too much.

Sudden, now that was a stupid quote from you. Pay the higher money and get it replaced if you have an accident, bottom line. Sudden....what were you thinking?

I have the extened car protection for full value of purchase price. and replacement (3 years) With Allstate.

NJ I pay $1200.00 per year for that car

250/500/100 250,000 medical 1000 dd and 100 Comp

Anyone out there use or have used Heacock Classic Insurance? If so give me the good bad and ugly! I received an unbelievable quote from them today. The coverages were exactly the same as my current insurer Hagerty but with a $0 deductibles and Heacock's quote was 30% less! The only catch was I had to be a member of the Mustang Club of America to take advantage of their special rate ... BIG DEAL!

:happy feet:

Sudden, now that was a stupid quote from you. Pay the higher money and get it replaced if you have an accident, bottom line. Sudden....what were you thinking?

Does anyone have points on their license and if so did your insurance go sky high, I have 4 points but my insurance company has not picked up on it yet and it has been almost 2 years

Does anyone have points on their license and if so did your insurance go sky high, I have 4 points but my insurance company has not picked up on it yet and it has been almost 2 years

Usually they check at renewal, they run a MVR and that's when it'll show up. If it's been 2 years you've been lucky and it'll happen soon, says my insurance agent wife.

Dave

Usually they check at renewal, they run a MVR and that's when it'll show up. If it's been 2 years you've been lucky and it'll happen soon, says my insurance agent wife.

Dave

What he said, plus I believe they only look back 3 years for moving violations. If thats true you only have 1 year and you can consider yourself lucky. Congrats~!

• 10 months later...
Anyone out there use or have used Heacock Classic Insurance? If so give me the good bad and ugly! I received an unbelievable quote from them today. The coverages were exactly the same as my current insurer Hagerty but with a $0 deductibles and Heacock's quote was 30% less! The only catch was I had to be a member of the Mustang Club of America to take advantage of their special rate ... BIG DEAL!

:happy feet:

Aren't there mileage restrictions with Hancock?

I have mine insured through Grundy. First year it was about $560 for $45000. It is now $700 but the valus is up to $49000. Think they automatically do that. There is also a milage limit. I think all the special companies have that. You can go over traveling to shows and other car events, but that is okay. I did ch eck Heathcock and they were less but were strict on the mileage. If you get in a wreck and total your car than you get a GT with regular insurance. Not sure what I would buy if mine were totaled. Also I had a 33 Ford Street Rod with Grundy and a 19 yr girl hit me and amd ddi over $12000 in damage. They did not ask any questions. Told the body shop to fax estimate and get to work. Bet State Farn was suprised when they got that bill.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Texas. My State Farm agent said that the extra Shelby GT expense would be considered by the claims department if the car is totaled. I don't necessarily believe that so I will keep pressing to be insured at the higher Shelby GT value.

myshelbyfront4sm.jpg

I tried to insure my Shelby GT for Agreed Value through Farmers Union but, they said no deal. Now my agent is trying J.C. Taylor and I don't know anything about them. So, far it's a 4 page application process and they want an appraisal on the car. So, I contacted Quantum Performance and they will have it appraised for me after the GT/SC ugrade.

I have mine insured through Grundy. First year it was about $560 for $45000. It is now $700 but the valus is up to $49000. Think they automatically do that. There is also a milage limit. I think all the special companies have that. You can go over traveling to shows and other car events, but that is okay. I did ch eck Heathcock and they were less but were strict on the mileage. If you get in a wreck and total your car than you get a GT with regular insurance. Not sure what I would buy if mine were totaled. Also I had a 33 Ford Street Rod with Grundy and a 19 yr girl hit me and amd ddi over $12000 in damage. They did not ask any questions. Told the body shop to fax estimate and get to work. Bet State Farn was suprised when they got that bill.

I have Grundy also.

There is no mileage limit on mime.

It must be garage kept.

It cant be your primary ride.

It cant be your backup for everyday.

Drive it as much as you like on evenings and weekends.

Full coverage stated value at $45,000 =

$656 for one full year.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished our Hagerty insurance tonight

$58,000 value

Locked gargage

Non-daily driver (had to show insurance on other 3 cars one for each driver in household)

No milage limit

Teenage son at home

My bad driving record ( lots of speeding tickets)

All done online, uploaded photos, application and current insurance docs very fast and easy

$1271 annually

Piece of mind priceless.....sorry Allstate

You guys that think that your VIN is going to cover your Shelby GT are nuts! But hey, if you never have a problem, you will be fine. But you're playing with danger. I ended up with Grundy and am very happy that I did. I have Hagerty on a different car, but they came in over $300 higher on my Shelby. I'm paying $570ish a year on stated coverage of $38K. Grundy has been incredible to deal with.

How do you quantify the replacement value of an SGT considering they are no longer produced and very few new ones are still on the dealer's lots?

I have State Farm here in Fort Worth and they simply insured mine is if it was a GT500 which puts my booked replacement value at roughly 10k over my purchase price. And, I have gap coverage (which may be a rip-off depending on who you talk to) on top of that.

How do you quantify the replacement value of an SGT considering they are no longer produced and very few new ones are still on the dealer's lots?

I have State Farm here in Fort Worth and they simply insured mine is if it was a GT500 which puts my booked replacement value at roughly 10k over my purchase price. And, I have gap coverage (which may be a rip-off depending on who you talk to) on top of that.

Gap insurance is good if you've put very little down but in your case you're already at a 10K over replacement value so I don't know what the gap is going to do for you. It takes effect AFTER the insurance and unless you are WAY WAY underwater, which doesn't seem to be the case with your 10K over, I don't see the gap doing anything for you at all.

:headscratch:

Gap insurance is good if you've put very little down but in your case you're already at a 10K over replacement value so I don't know what the gap is going to do for you. It takes effect AFTER the insurance and unless you are WAY WAY underwater, which doesn't seem to be the case with your 10K over, I don't see the gap doing anything for you at all.

:headscratch:

I have Farmer's Insurance and have had nothing but problems. First, they have told me, and submitted the quote, showing that a GT 500 is cheaper to insure than a Mustang GT. The agent said it is because the GT 500 weighs more than the Mustang GT. Then they told me there is no such thing as a Shelby GT, on the GT 500. They wanted pictures and a copy of the title. They still do not know what to do.

Part of the issue is that the SGT is a Mustang GT with a POST title conversion. The GT 500 is a Shelby GT 500 from the Ford Factory. Our mustangs are a POST title conversion and the insurance company is not aware by just processing the vin number.

DON’T TAKE INSURANCE LIGHTLY I CANNOT EMPERSIZE THIS ENOUGH.

My Backdraft Cobra Replica caught on fire and was totaled. I had Insurance through American Hobbyist, with AGREED UPON FULL REPLACEMENT VALUE. When I called them they were very sympathetic and understanding, I sent pictures to them along with the Fire Dept. report and within a couple of weeks they sent me a check for 4% MORE then the stated agreed upon value, I had an inflation clause (I was not even aware of this clause).

Initially, I tried to get the Backdraft insured by Haggerty, they would not insure Cobra Replicas ( I had my Morgan through them and just wanted to transfer the coverage)!!!, Grundy said that I had a bad record ( an accident going back 2 years) so my Agent came up with American Hobbyist for the Cobra. $590 per year, $37,500 agreed upon value.

Fast forward 7 months, time to insure the GT H, Haggerty-"sorry you just had a claim", Grundy "sorry you had an accident 4 years ago and just had a claim." American Hobbyist, "welcome back, $695 per year, $45,000 agreed upon replacement value, thank you".

DON’T PALY AROUND GET AGREED UPON FULL REPLACEMENT VALUE

I am not pushing American Hobbyist, or bad mothing Haggerty or Grundy, just saying for our type of Car or any 'special" or collector car you must have agreed upon full replacement insurance.

DON’T TAKE INSURANCE LIGHTLY I CANNOT EMPERSIZE THIS ENOUGH.

My Backdraft Cobra Replica caught on fire and was totaled. I had Insurance through American Hobbyist, with AGREED UPON FULL REPLACEMENT VALUE. When I called them they were very sympathetic and understanding, I sent pictures to them along with the Fire Dept. report and within a couple of weeks they sent me a check for 4% MORE then the stated agreed upon value, I had an inflation clause (I was not even aware of this clause).

Initially, I tried to get the Backdraft insured by Haggerty, they would not insure Cobra Replicas ( I had my Morgan through them and just wanted to transfer the coverage)!!!, Grundy said that I had a bad record ( an accident going back 2 years) so my Agent came up with American Hobbyist for the Cobra. $590 per year, $37,500 agreed upon value.

Fast forward 7 months, time to insure the GT H, Haggerty-"sorry you just had a claim", Grundy "sorry you had an accident 4 years ago and just had a claim." American Hobbyist, "welcome back, $695 per year, $45,000 agreed upon replacement value, thank you".

DON’T PALY AROUND GET AGREED UPON FULL REPLACEMENT VALUE

I am not pushing American Hobbyist, or bad mothing Haggerty or Grundy, just saying for our type of Car or any 'special" or collector car you must have agreed upon full replacement insurance.

+1.

I had to send in a copy of my SAI window sticker to get more coverage and my S/C reciept as well...Make arned sure you are covered for the price of the car.

Many on here have bought upgraded/extra insurance. Cant remember the exact terms but talk to the rep and tell her u need extra insurance to cover the Shelby package.

Stated Value Insurance, not all company's offer it

check out DELP, best I've seen.

Rachel R. Miller

Servicing Agent Of

The Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Ins.

The Delp Company

1440 Arrowhead Drive

Maumee, Ohio 43537

Direct Phone: 419-794-1083

Direct Fax: 419-794-1083

Email: RMiller@delpcompany.com

check out DELP, best I've seen.

Rachel R. Miller

Servicing Agent Of

The Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Ins.

The Delp Company

1440 Arrowhead Drive

Maumee, Ohio 43537

Direct Phone: 419-794-1083

Direct Fax: 419-794-1083

Email: RMiller@delpcompany.com

My Cobra and SGT are insured through the Delp agency (before it was associated with the BJ brand). They put the quote in my Cobra the morning after I bought it. I checked them out and moved my SGT to the same policy. Both cars is 900/yr for a total of 190K agreed value (and this includes the mandatory coverage for liability/etc.

I was getting ready to change my other policies and Delp also offers that service - auto and homeowners. All of my insurance is now through them. The non-collector policies are with the "Auto Owners" group. Everything represented a significant savings off my previous policy (which were done through my credit union where I had the two BJ SGTs, and the credit union insurance was a SIGNIFICANTLY less than Farmers. We moved the remaining Farmers policies to Delp shortly after the first of February.)

Archived