TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Back from Evo - Round 2

iceman

Well - I sucked it up and drove out to evo in what started as a dry but overcast afternoon on Thursday. About the time I made it to OH the drizzle started. By West VA it was a soft rain and luckily it nver got worse than that but sadly there were a number of trucks and a lot of gunk for them to kick up on me all the way through PA. My car was no longer pblack when i got there at about 1:30am Friday morning. I only had about 8 quarters and hit the self wash to get the loose stuff off in the dark. In the morning I headed over a bit ashamed of how nasty the car looked. I had time in the morning before the real work got going to spray quick detailer all over and give it a good wipe down which did a shockingly good job for as nasty as it was to start. WHen they were not un the engine bay i cleaned it too as it had gotten filthy on the drive too. When they had the rims off for the brakes I soap and watered the rims with their hose and while it wasn't going to be winning any shows it looked pretty good by the time it was all put back together.

Evo put on their fuel rails and 72# injectors, the 160mm TB, an innovations west lower pulley, a C&L intake in addition to relocating the rear sway bar for 15" rims for the track, a rear drive shaft loop since I only had a front before, and the upgraded brakes (rotors, pads, and lines - I don't think I need the vents for them but I like the look so i may do something still with those holes) and they put in HID head lights for me (Fred sold me on these and they really are nice - the drive home was like daytime even when it was dark out).

The power results are amazing: on 93 pump gas with Torco 784 rwhp and 703 torque on Evo's Mustang dyno....Not only that but it feels like it! I got a way de-tuned tune for 91 pump with no torco in the event i was ever in a bind. I actually started out driving home with this since it was less power and I wanted to adjust....I switched to the real tune on my 2nd fill up coming home - car ran a bit better on the tne with a little more timing too so I'll need to learn to drive it with that power now. It is still very friendly on the street but I would say a bit harder to keep smooth at low rpm in 1st and to a lesser degree 2nd - like if you are just driving through a parking lot looking. It run's fine but the power is so extreem a little too much throttle and the thing jumps. I've gotten better at it but it does take a little practice. At say 1500 rpms and up it's very easy to control in any gear. Idle is perfectly smooth and set at 810 rpm's.

I am honestly afraid to got push this thing now. I want to get it on the track and see what I can do with a little practice but I may actually have to back it down a little bit. It's amazing the power now. With the KB, Evo's fuel system, the lower pulley....WOW. I had a highly modified Dodge Charger SRT-8 pull up along side of me on the trip back and want to play some games. I just reved the engine and he rolled the window down to ask what the hell waqs under the hood. I then proceeded to lightly roll onto the throttle in 4th and in a blink I was over 110 on the trooper infested PA turnpike. I let off and slowed down and 20 seconds later he was back next to me. Followed me to the gas station and we talked. He was a nice guy about my age (mid 30's) and the Charger was as nice looking as any I've seen. He said he was running about 560 rwhp. I told him him I had just been to Evolution and was coming home with nearly 800 and his jaw dropped. I showed him the dyno sheet and and he couldn't believe it. What i didn't tell him is that I was driving on the tune set up for 91 octane pump gas withno torco incase I ever need it because it "only" had about 730 rwhp. I actually changed to the 93 and torco tune at the next fill up and the car ran better in my opinion with the extra timing in that tune. I am waiting for some good weather to get out and find some space to learn where the tires break loose so I know what to do when I want to play. I can't race hard on the street right now bcause I just don't know and the thing is a so fast it really can scare you easy....or it should scare you. Once I get to play with it a bit in a safe environment I will get a feel for it but I am don with power mods....unless they are to go backwards a little.

Thanks to everyone at Evo for making the experience a great one once again. Everyone there (Fred, Nelson Sr. & Jr, Chuck, Stevie, Derek, Shawn-or Sean??) was great to talk with work with, and hanf out with. Fred and Chuck hung out with me until after midnight at the shop Friday night to get the fuel system on and Jr. came in on Sat. and busted his butt to get a custom exhaust put together for the Bassani mufflers we put on to keep the sound down as much as we could with the off road X pipe. Also Jon Lund who came in and worked with Fred to make sure the details of all the Tunes were right where they need to be....I can only imagine what that race gas tune would be like if the chance to run it ever presents it self.

The drive out there for me is about 10.5 hours each way plus food and gas stops. I enjoy making the drive and for the little part I don't like (on the turn pike with all the cops) it is very much worth it for the quality of the results I get.

Publicly I want to thank them all - I'm looking forward to my next trip out there when ever I go back even if it's just a social visit as I can honestly say I'll never need more power! The thing many of us (or at least I) forget is that Evo does a lot of cool stuff in addition to the power adders. Their window tint guy (who's name escapes me) does great work. I watched him put on tint for 5-6 cars and they all were perfect. I saw a lot of Chuck's electrical work and he was even kind enough to clean up some of my own and show me some pictures of other stuff he had done - impressive to say the least. It's a good thing I don't live closer or I'd be broke! They do it all and they do it all really well! Thanks.....Oh and Fred - thanks for the pizza, cheese steak, and bagel....You know I am not one to pass up food :)

Edit - also the boost and HP was still climbing when we ended the pull. There was no sign of it dropping off.

Publicly I want to thank them all - I'm looking forward to my next trip out there when ever I go back even if it's just a social visit as I can honestly say I'll never need more power! .

SUURRRE Ya dont! :nonono::yup::spiteful:

But good story!

With that heavy power ..I wounder how would that engine hold for the long run.

I am not sure if that engine was built for that kind of power...remember voiding the warranty on the 700+ package of SS Shelby...it is not necessary the trans,DS, or axle..it could be some issues with the engine not tolerating this power....I hope am wrong.

Do you have any more details on the HIDs, I dont think I have seen any kits on the site?

Any pix?

thanks and awsome story!!

No pics yet - but with the lights off you would never know the difference really. With them on you will for sure! They have high and low and work great. Not sure what else to say - the light is a hint of blue at 8000 rating.

With that heavy power ..I wounder how would that engine hold for the long run.

I am not sure if that engine was built for that kind of power...remember voiding the warranty on the 700+ package of SS Shelby...it is not necessary the trans,DS, or axle..it could be some issues with the engine not tolerating this power....I hope am wrong.

Time will tell. If it breaks it comes back with bionics - we have the technology :)

That being said you have to remember I'm not pushing this thing hard all the time. To be honest I will push it hard less now because it scares me a little but I am excited to get it onto the strip and see what i can do. I think on race gas the car could run well into the 9's. I'm not sure the driver could (in fact I doubt it) but with 93 and torco I fully expect to run well into the 10's.

I do believe the time has come for me to look at better rims and tires for the track as well as to give serious though tto the roll bar and what ever frame bracing i can dig up. I have the CHE K-member brace going on as soon as time allows and a stronger diff. for the rear end. I'm not upgrading to the 9" yet but i am also looking at that. Engine internals are somethng else to think about and I was looking at that last winter but I think there is lot more strength in these engines than we have been told about....at least i hope so.

In a way I hate to be the test subject, but at the same time it's fun to feel the thrill. It's a bit of a risk I admit but it is a calculated one and I am willing to accept it at this point to get a goal that i have at the track.

I do believe the time has come for me to look at better rims and tires for the track as well as to give serious though tto the roll bar and what ever frame bracing i can dig up.

If you haven't given thought to this - believe me, the track officials will! They might let you touch the low 12's in a 'vert a couple times, but after that unless they're blind they will likely show you the exit gate until you come back with at least a 6 point bar! That's precisely the reason I decided on a coupe instead of a convertible.

Awesome story on the build - these cars can make sick power. Be careful with her!

If you haven't given thought to this - believe me, the track officials will! They might let you touch the low 12's in a 'vert a couple times, but after that unless they're blind they will likely show you the exit gate until you come back with at least a 6 point bar! That's precisely the reason I decided on a coupe instead of a convertible.

Awesome story on the build - these cars can make sick power. Be careful with her!

Plenty of thought already but not much action. I do have (or did have) a local track that let me play and they made me wear a helmet and then a fire jacket when i went under 11.5. They never asked me to do anything more down to 10.991 and a documented 11.046 with trap speeds as high as 134.56 but it was in sad shape there too. The good news is it got bought this winter and has been resurfaced and looks to be getting nicer....bad news is that they may start looking at the rules a bit better now :)

Anyway - here's the SAE Corrected dyno sheet - you should see the not corrected one!

post-3980-1207073794_thumb.jpg

post-3980-1207073794_thumb.jpg

do you have any clearance issues with the stock hood running the 3.25" pulley.

Have to remove the hood blanket. I opted to cut out the section above the blower and we put some electrical tubing (plastic stuff) around the edges. It looks pretty good. I used some super glue gel to hold it on firmly and after the drive all the way home there was no damage. I need to glue one little spot down better but have not had time. I'll get that done and post a pic.

Funny thing is I notice a small spot where the front lip pf the SC actually touches the hood - there was a spot getting rubbed a bit with the blanket on and not there is a tiny little scratch in the paint on the bottom of the hood and frint lip of the SC. It's tuching there about as thick as the paint is probably under heavy use. I think I can just turn the hood height adjusters a turn out and be fine though. If not I'll deal with it - I like the hood and don't plan to change it....as much for storage as anything because the hood is a part i wouldn't want to part with and don't want to store.

As for the pulley - no issue other than the hood blanket has to be cut or go assuming you have the lowered mounts - I don't know what would happen on the not lowered mounts.

Archived