TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Break in period

Sorry if this topic has been covered previously...

I just took delivery on a 2008 Shelby GT convertible (5 speed).

Looking through the Mustang owner's guide, they don't say much about break in other than to vary the engine speed over the first 1,000 miles (no limit on rpm or anything about low mileage oil changes). Didn't see anything about the break in period in the Shelby literature. This seems odd compared to all the other vehicles I've owned which specify early rpm limits and oil changes. Seems to me that there would be a lot of swarf running around the motor causing damage if the first oil change is at 7500 miles. I usually change oil in other vehicles every 3000 miles or so.

What do the Shelby folks recommend for break in and oil change intervals?

Thanks!

Drive it like you will normally drive it.

Supposedly these motors need no "break-in" period.

Change the first oil between 500-1000 miles.

Use a factory filter, don't skimp on the important stuff.

Thanks, guys, for the info! Anyone using Amsoil oil filters?

Also, when should the manual transmission and differential fluids be changed the first time?

Thanks!

Also, when should the manual transmission and differential fluids be changed the first time?

Thanks!

I changed my trans fluid I think around 2000 miles, just to see if any junk from break-in was in it.

It was fine.

I have since had the tranny replaced under warranty.

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...ic=9386&hl=

Sorry if this topic has been covered previously...

I just took delivery on a 2008 Shelby GT convertible (5 speed).

Looking through the Mustang owner's guide, they don't say much about break in other than to vary the engine speed over the first 1,000 miles (no limit on rpm or anything about low mileage oil changes). Didn't see anything about the break in period in the Shelby literature. This seems odd compared to all the other vehicles I've owned which specify early rpm limits and oil changes. Seems to me that there would be a lot of swarf running around the motor causing damage if the first oil change is at 7500 miles. I usually change oil in other vehicles every 3000 miles or so.

What do the Shelby folks recommend for break in and oil change intervals?

Thanks!

Break it in right. We hit the Dyno less than 24 hours after pick-up. I will change the oil at 3k miles than go to the normal schedule.

Thanks!

Went to Amsoil (filter and oil) on first change. Will be taking it back soon for second. So far so good.

I changed my trans fluid I think around 2000 miles, just to see if any junk from break-in was in it.

It was fine.

I have since had the tranny replaced under warranty.

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...ic=9386&hl=

Thanks, Snoopy, for the link! Is anyone using Redline MTL full synthetic in their manual transmissions here?

What do you suppose caused your transmission to fail? How many miles?

remember,at the end of the day the motor is still a mustang.treat it like any other car you've owned and you will be o-k.these are good motors and all they need is regular maintenance.good luck on your car and hope you have many years of enjoyment with it .

Archived