TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FRPP Cold-Air Kit Flasher

As the Shelby GT has the FRPP Cold-Air Kit installed (as part of the SAI options) did any of you folks with a Shelby GT ever receive the ECU calibration flash device with your car? According to the SAI options sticker the kit is part of the SAI add-on price to the GT so it would seem to me the owner is entitled to the flash device used to do each owner's Shelby-GT.

Anybody know what you have to do to get the calibration flash device?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As the Shelby GT has the FRPP Cold-Air Kit installed (as part of the SAI options) did any of you folks with a Shelby GT ever receive the ECU calibration flash device with your car? According to the SAI options sticker the kit is part of the SAI add-on price to the GT so it would seem to me the owner is entitled to the flash device used to do each owner's Shelby-GT.

Anybody know what you have to do to get the calibration flash device?

No flash device is part of the package. The question was asked and answered early on in the SGT program. SAI said that the basic FRPP kit is included but the flasher is not part of the Shelby SGT package. Entitled? well I would only said we were entitled if we had paid for it. I'm guessing Shelby got a bulk deal for the FRPP kit and not the retail one you can order.

No flash device is part of the package. The question was asked and answered early on in the SGT program. SAI said that the basic FRPP kit is included but the flasher is not part of the Shelby SGT package. Entitled? well I would only said we were entitled if we had paid for it. I'm guessing Shelby got a bulk deal for the FRPP kit and not the retail one you can order.

I don't agree with your thoughts. Legally I don't think SAI can lay claim to any flash device. Below is my posting to Amy of SAI regarding this matter which contains my reasons.

My posting to Amy of SAI:

Amy:

Though this topic was discussed before whereby SAI claims that the owner will not be provided the FRPP flash device as part of the Shelby-GT options upgrade...Legally speaking I don't think SAI can keep the FRPP flash devices used to calibrate the SGT's because:

1. The simple fact that SAI making any possible bulk-buy deal with Ford Racing doesn't have anything to do with who retains ownership/control of the FRPP flash device. Let's be truthful and face the fact that SAI most certainly passes the cost of the FRPP to the car's owner as part of the SGT-option markup price when teh owner buys the car.

As the FRPP kit is indeed listed on the owner's supplemental SAI spec/cost sheet..and since SAI directly refers in this spec/cost sheet to the "Ford Racing Performance Package" (i.e. FRPP) as a component of the upgrade - and that the calibration device is considered by Ford Racing to be part of the FRPP kit AS ADVERTISED and IMPLEMENTED - then that in itself explicitly infers the device belongs to the car's owner and SAI is wrongfully taking ownership / control of a component of the FRPP that SAI has no legal entitlement to.

2. The flash device and the calibration tune contained by the device is a necessary and critically vital part of the FRPP kit to make the engine work correctly and prevents "lean" damage to the engine which would occur if the tune wasn't flashed into the car's ECU. The calibration tune the device contains is actually a tune created by FRPP as part of the FRPP kit and is listed as such as PART OF THE FRPP. FRPP includes the flash device as a necessary and critical component of the kit to transfer the critical and necessary calibration tune.

And SAI explcitly advertises and refers to the "FRPP" kit which means all the components Ford Racing intended, including the flash device. If SAI is going to use the words "Ford Racing Performance Package" in its advertising, options spec and whatever else then that can only be construed to be all inclusive of the components Ford Racing intended to be in the kit they created.

3. In all cases as a result of not being the device's or the calibration's creator SAI then acts only in the capacity of being the installer of the calibration.

4. If the car's ECU ever needed reflashed for whatever reason it cannot be done without the flash device, leaving the owner with no alternative but to unnecessarily reinvolve SAI 's to carry out a reflash which they were only the transfer agent on.

5. Without control or ownership of the flash device, an owner of a Shelby-GT is left with no recourse since the calibration cannot get entered into the car's ECU without the flash device. In essence you are estopping the owners from an entitlement that each owner has paid to enjoy by virtue of buying the Shelby-GT option and by virtue of the fact that SAI lists the FRPP kit as part of that option being purchased..to which Ford Racing considers, lists, advertises and implments as being a component of the FRPP kit.

So in light of this and with all due respect I would like to have the FRPP device that came with the FRPP kit used on my Shelby-GT (#4349) sent IMMEDIATELY to me since it contains/stores a vital and necessary component (the calibration) that my car may require upon a necessary potential reflash event...and since I have no recourse to effect a potential reflash as a direct result of SAI keeping the flash device used on my vehicle.

Please advise me through a posting here if you will require my VIN# or any other information to effect my entitlement to the device. Please include an email address I can remit any info you need or require.

Sincerely yours...

+1

I can understand that in the sense that the tuner is there to help you install the package. Since you're not installing the package and the car is meant to be serviced as any other Mustang I can see how the argument could be made that including the tuner in thousands of cars could open up a HUGE support issue as non-qualified people try to play weekend mechanic with something that can render their car inoperable.

Regardless, as has been pointed out, SAI did not get a bunch of FRPP retail kits from Ford and they don't have a HUGE box of thousands of tuners sitting in the warehouse. SAI got a bulk delivery of the actual components from Ford at a price obviously meant to reduce costs and time. Unpacking thousands of individually packaged components and the waste that would bring vs. one huge crate of springs, etc., you get the idea. Then of course there is the issue of programming the Tuner where today they just hook the cars up to a central tuner. The tuner apparently, like the Ford Racing Oil Filter, were not considered vital components to the package by someone and Ford obviously agreed!

I'd like to have mine so I'm not wasting days at a dealership waiting for our friends at Ford Racing to send it but that's the way it's been and that's the way it's going to be.

All the marketing materials and your car's sticker, clearly state what components from the FRPP kit are included with the car and a tuner isn't it on the list, neither is the oil filter. Ford in its parts catalog states that contents of the kit are subject to change without notice.

So...sure we can demand one, you can threaten legal action but hey...at the end of the day if that's important to you you're better off buying a tuner and not paying for a lawyer.

I think we should at least have the factory tune be available to us for those that have a tuner, If you look at shelby auto parts, it requires that you reflash your SGT back to the ford factory flash before installing the paxton s/c, that is a good idea, where do we get it?...Rick

At a minimum I would think it would be immediately available to Ford Service Departments so that a tune could be performed on a vehicle as part of any type of maintence issue. You can't drive the SGT to Vegas without the tune if needed and you certainly could not do without the vehicle while it sat in the parking lot for months.

At a minimum I would think it would be immediately available to Ford Service Departments so that a tune could be performed on a vehicle as part of any type of maintence issue. You can't drive the SGT to Vegas without the tune if needed and you certainly could not do without the vehicle while it sat in the parking lot for months.

It's my understanding that the tune is available to your service department is that not correct? It would make no sense if it wasn't.

All:

I noticed in the GTH cars, and as part of the RETAIL FRPP package there is a sticker that is applied to just behind the CAI on the strut wall that warns a would be flasher that the car has a custom tune and don't mess with it. We do not have such a sticker and that's always bothered me in that it's tempting fate that one day some "well meaning" mechanic will re-flash as a troubleshooting aid or something.

So with all this talk I have taken it upon myself to tempt the licensing Gods and create my own based upon what I remember of the real one. It's not really the what the real one has with places for date and who did the tune etc., but hopefully it will be noticed and may prevent an issue for someone!

It measures 4"x4" and should be applied on the painted area of the strut thing (no idea what it's called) that's directly behind the CAI.

File in the "For what it's worth department".

Custom_Tune_Sticker.pdf

Custom_Tune_Sticker.pdf

I don't agree with your thoughts. Legally I don't think SAI can lay claim to any flash device. Below is my posting to Amy of SAI regarding this matter which contains my reasons.

My posting to Amy of SAI:

Amy,

Though this topic was discussed before whereby SAI claims that the owner will not be provided the FRPP flash device as part of the Shelby-GT options upgrade...Legally speaking I don't think SAI can keep the FRPP flash devices used to calibrate the SGT's

Jeff has a good point (post #5), paticularly since ShelbyKindaGuy words his post to Amy somewhat in legalese. If SAI did not take delivery of Flash devices, they are not withholding anything from us. Rick also has a point about just having the right to the Tune itself because we may well need it.

Has anyone (1) looked into what the Flash device costs and (2) whether SAI might be able to get us a deal on it? Just my two cents worth to move to a solution given I think Reino is right . . . the odds of getting a response from Amy to ShelbyKindaGuy's post are not high, having nothing to do with the subject matter.

ShelbyKindaGuy's question is a legit one. It's just that knowing Amy (not well but just a little bit), she may not take kindly to having SAI being accused (no offense ShelbyKindaGuy) of illegally holding property that belongs to the customers. Again, my two cents. Jim

Jeff has a good point (post #5), paticularly since ShelbyKindaGuy words his post to Amy somewhat in legalese. If SAI did not take delivery of Flash devices, they are not withholding anything from us. Rick also has a point about just having the right to the Tune itself because we may well need it.

Has anyone (1) looked into what the Flash device costs and (2) whether SAI might be able to get us a deal on it? Just my two cents worth to move to a solution given I think Reino is right . . . the odds of getting a response from Amy to ShelbyKindaGuy's post are not high, having nothing to do with the subject matter.

ShelbyKindaGuy's question is a legit one. It's just that knowing Amy (not well but just a little bit), she may not take kindly to having SAI being accused (no offense ShelbyKindaGuy) of illegally holding property that belongs to the customers. Again, my two cents. Jim

It would me me feel better if we could buy a tuner, don't care from who, and store the tune. Just trying to help the owner 50-60 years from now. ;) Unlike the SCT and others the Ford pro-cal tuner is a VERY VERY basic black box that holds the single tune and that's it. I'd love to have that CHEAP tuner with the SAI tune.

Whoa...hold on, I wonder if that's another issue and cog in this wheel? Is the FRPP tuner customizable? I'm too tired of this right now to do the research but the SAI tune is NOT the FRPP tune. They are similar but not the same. Even IF SAI had thousands of these tuners can you reprogram them? I'm thinking now that you can't! FRPP is selling you their tune and if you want more you would have to buy an SCT tuner etc. That would mean even if SAI had wanted to include the tuner it would be of no use and again cause issues.

Anyone with more knowledge on this look into that?

Since we went around and around on this same topic more than a year ago, I'm too lazy to look anymore. Talk to me when the warranty runs out and maybe my attitude will have changed by then.

I have a SCT tuner, I can install a factory tune on my SCT thur my computer, I paid 375 for the tuner from Brenspeed, I have already asked differnt shops to install a paxton, they first thing they ask if it has the factory tune, I have talked to page @ stillen and he has said that he cannot get any information from Ford or paxton, so unless I go with the KB, the paxton is a no go. I would like to keep it a shelby as much as I can, Rick

Installing the tune with an individual flash tuner and including the tuner with our cars would be of limited value. The only thing we could do with it is reload the stock tune. If the FRPP tune is overwritten we would have to get a new tuner to reload it. As long as the tune is available to Ford service departments there shouldn't be a problem.

I have a SCT tuner, I can install a factory tune on my SCT thur my computer, I paid 375 for the tuner from Brenspeed, I have already asked differnt shops to install a paxton, they first thing they ask if it has the factory tune, I have talked to page @ stillen and he has said that he cannot get any information from Ford or paxton, so unless I go with the KB, the paxton is a no go. I would like to keep it a shelby as much as I can, Rick

Hi Rick,

I am going to Stillen next Saturday for the Ford Appreciation day. Paxton will be there as will Chris Van Horn (his car will be featured by Paxton). I will make inquiry at the Paxton booth. I need to stop by their booth anyway to find out when the certification on the '08 SGT/Paxton combo will be released so I can get my car back from SAI. Jim

This info may be helpful.Some of you might remember I guinea pigged the Diablo Predator on an 07 Shelby with issues regarding the FRPP tune not allowing the Predator to "Load " any of the tunes I had.But to get to the point.They told me that the FRPP tune could be downloaded,Transferred to your PC,Copied,Stored,Than reuploaded to the Handheld to be re-installed on your car.So I would think that if you have a tuner ,You could do the same thing.Know this,The PCM calibration codes are specific to the cars.There are at least two,One for JOB 1,early cars,And one for JOB2,Late cars.Possibly more.I'm sure there is a way to find this out,How many different CAL ID's there were.Which by the way can be changed at the dealer if they overwrite your tune.So........................Also i'm pretty sure that the FRPP Flash device only allows for a download of the FRPP tune to the car.It's not a sophisticated handheld.Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.The other info I'm sure about.

Many people seem to be missing the SAI/Ford arrangement on the GT.

Shelby didn't make the cars for you. Shelby made the cars for Ford.

Step 1. Ford ships the car to SAI

Step 2. SAI adds the components and makes the changes called for in a contract

Step 3. SAI ships the car to your Ford dealer for delivery to you.

SAI is an integral part of the manufacturing process, but that is all. All deliverables to the end user are between you and Ford. At no step in this process did SAI have any contract with any end user owner. You bought your car from your local Ford dealer.

It is Ford that decided you don't get the tuner. You're buying it as part of the car, not as an post-title add-on.

Good luck, but I think it is an uphill battle.

How about someone e-mailing Bud and ask the question. That would stop all of the speculation quickly.

For what it is worth...

The GT500s getting the 725HP SS Package also don't get to "keep" the flash-tuner that was used by SAI to program the computer... I think BUD replied in a different thread that they have groups of 10 (???) tuners that are used once per SS Upgrade and then returned to the manufacturer for a "re-load"...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

The FRPP tuner is not worth worrying about in my opinion. It does not have an LCD or any user selectable items other than an A-B slide switch. You plug it in and it removes the factory tune and installs the FRPP tune. Slide the switch the other way and the reverse happens. Because you don't have a stock air induction and already have the FRPP tune installed, Ford would question why you need a device that can only remove the factory tune and install the FRPP tune.

I think the issue with Paxton is not correct. If you have a Shelby GT, I think that you would use a real tuner to remove the FRPP tune and install the tune for the supercharger.

The Paxton deal is incorrect?, Here is what Shelby parts has to say about the incorrect paxton install.

(These superchargers are standard equipment in all of the Shelby CS6 and CS8 cars. They pack a lot of punch and will throw you back in your seat with the added horsepower. Includes an intercooler for added performance. Sold as a kit. When installing on a Shelby GT, factory Ford Mustang GT tuning must be restored on your vehicles computer before putting the Diablo tune on it. We recommend you do this before starting the supercharger installation.)

I know this isnt going to help, because shelbykindaguy WANTS a useless handheld tuner so that he can make his car STOCK!

SAI does NOT use the FRRP tune. ITS A CUSTOM TUNE FOR SAI and the SGT!

If you want to take your car back to stock, go to your local dealer and he can take care of it for you.

michael morris

The Paxton deal is incorrect?, Here is what Shelby parts has to say about the incorrect paxton install.

(These superchargers are standard equipment in all of the Shelby CS6 and CS8 cars. They pack a lot of punch and will throw you back in your seat with the added horsepower. Includes an intercooler for added performance. Sold as a kit. When installing on a Shelby GT, factory Ford Mustang GT tuning must be restored on your vehicles computer before putting the Diablo tune on it. We recommend you do this before starting the supercharger installation.)

The difference between an End User (post title) purchase and an OEM installation.

Well it has been said we do not have the FFRP flash tune but apparently a custom SAI tune. Is there any way to obtain the SAI tune? Can it be downloaded? What if we need to reinstall the flash x number of years from now? Will it be available from a source?

Is there a difference in tune between early and late 2007 SGTs?

Well it has been said we do not have the FFRP flash tune but apparently a custom SAI tune. Is there any way to obtain the SAI tune? Can it be downloaded? What if we need to reinstall the flash x number of years from now? Will it be available from a source?

Is there a difference in tune between early and late 2007 SGTs?

There MUST be a way for a dealer's service department to do this otherwise there would be BIG problems in the future. The problem here is we just don't know what that process is though I'm not sure I need to know the process anymore than I know how my local dealer's parts department get's a replacement screw.

What do I care as long as they can get it?!?!

Archived