TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Radio Removal

Does anyone have the proper instructions to remove the radio? I really don't want to start yanking on things and breaking stuff.

I read this and became curious. I have no clue, but in looking at mine, I am quite sure it has something to do with disaasembling the entire dashboard. Why perhaps would one want to remove the radio?

I read this and became curious. I have no clue, but in looking at mine, I am quite sure it has something to do with disaasembling the entire dashboard. Why perhaps would one want to remove the radio?

Ive had the HD radio/IPOD kit for quite some time. I was going to let the dealer install it, but after I removed the airbag for signature, I saw everything is just right there. The kit just plugs in if I could get to the connections. I thought I might be able to get to the connections without removal - but I can't. I just thought while I had a hole in my dash I might see if I could do it myself.

Ive had the HD radio/IPOD kit for quite some time. I was going to let the dealer install it, but after I removed the airbag for signature, I saw everything is just right there. The kit just plugs in if I could get to the connections. I thought I might be able to get to the connections without removal - but I can't. I just thought while I had a hole in my dash I might see if I could do it myself.

That will be very nice. The reason I asked, The last dash I removed was on an older 80's BOSS 5.0 in order to install a new cassette deck and Rockford Fosagate PUnch 45 amp.

Once I got her out and back in, had lot's of stuff left over and she squealed like a stuck pig, so tha amp turned out useful!

I vowed never to do that again!

Warning: Instructions that follow are for a '08 GT convertible. Your mileage may vary!

No, you don't have to remove the dashboard. I just put in the HD kit, but I'm not exactly near my car right now so I don't have all of the details but some of the instructions can be found here:

http://www.partscheap.com/08ford/instructi...CAR_7-31-07.pdf

Mustang starts on PDF page 10.

If you are only removing the radio you probably won't have to do all of the center console stuff, but it is possible that some of the radio fascia rests below the center console and you might have to remove it to get the fascia off. I'm not sure, follow until you can safely stop.

When it comes to removing the panel with the head/AC knobs and buttons here are some helpful hints:

Remove all of the screws starting in step 13. They greatly oversimplify step 14. There are lots of wires that are difficult to remove if you haven't ever done it before since they all use different retaining methods to the harnesses. The fit is very tight, very little slack and you won't be able to see behind it on the bottom without a mirror.

The three connectors at the top all have a snap release that is at the top. Just press down and pull straight back.

The two harnesses at the bottom are different and difficult to get out. Get lights and mirrors and follow these instructions:

The harness on the driver's side is friction fit. It will pull off, but it is a very tight fit. Work it right/left/up/down and it should release.

The harness on the right is a cam release. There will be a blue plastic fitting around the connector. The release for the cam is a small detent release on the back of the harness below where the wires enter. You won't be able to see it without a mirror. Push in (towards the panel) on the release while pulling downward (to the floor) on the cam. The cam action will release the harness from the connector. When replacing mate the connector and use the cam to make the connection.

Edit: I will eventually post the entire HD/iPod install instructions like I did for the mirror, but I'm in Vegas waiting for my wife's plane to get here.

Good luck!

Does anyone have the proper instructions to remove the radio? I really don't want to start yanking on things and breaking stuff.

Send my your e-mail address and I will forward the Ford service instructions.

Roger

Warning: Instructions that follow are for a '08 GT convertible. Your mileage may vary!

No, you don't have to remove the dashboard. I just put in the HD kit, but I'm not exactly near my car right now so I don't have all of the details but some of the instructions can be found here:

http://www.partscheap.com/08ford/instructi...CAR_7-31-07.pdf

Mustang starts on PDF page 10.

If you are only removing the radio you probably won't have to do all of the center console stuff, but it is possible that some of the radio fascia rests below the center console and you might have to remove it to get the fascia off. I'm not sure, follow until you can safely stop.

When it comes to removing the panel with the head/AC knobs and buttons here are some helpful hints:

Remove all of the screws starting in step 13. They greatly oversimplify step 14. There are lots of wires that are difficult to remove if you haven't ever done it before since they all use different retaining methods to the harnesses. The fit is very tight, very little slack and you won't be able to see behind it on the bottom without a mirror.

The three connectors at the top all have a snap release that is at the top. Just press down and pull straight back.

The two harnesses at the bottom are different and difficult to get out. Get lights and mirrors and follow these instructions:

The harness on the driver's side is friction fit. It will pull off, but it is a very tight fit. Work it right/left/up/down and it should release.

The harness on the right is a cam release. There will be a blue plastic fitting around the connector. The release for the cam is a small detent release on the back of the harness below where the wires enter. You won't be able to see it without a mirror. Push in (towards the panel) on the release while pulling downward (to the floor) on the cam. The cam action will release the harness from the connector. When replacing mate the connector and use the cam to make the connection.

Edit: I will eventually post the entire HD/iPod install instructions like I did for the mirror, but I'm in Vegas waiting for my wife's plane to get here.

Good luck!

Great instructions! Install complete! Thanks for your help! Everything is working great! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Great instructions! Install complete! Thanks for your help! Everything is working great! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Wow, you got the HD kit installed this quickly? It took me about 4 hours, but I did have to remove the center console because I ran the ipod into the console instead of the glove box and it took me an hour to figure out how to get the cables loose without breaking anything. I should charge a premium for the hints on the two lower harnesses. :)

When I installed the radio I tried to find a good place for the two pieces of the kit and decided there was not a good place to attach it where they said. So I velcro'd and tie wrapped (for extra insurance) the two pieces of the HD kit to the radio itself. It is very solid installation with no wiggles and vibrations.

Like I said, step by step (with pics) some other time.

Archived