TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exterior mods

I just picked up some Auluminum trim pieces for the out side of the car. Tailight and rear side window trim. Has anyone installed these? Will the tape hold at speed and temp extremes?

It will be 45 degree tomorrow, too cold for install?

My first thought was to add an occasional drop of super glue, about every 2 or three inches.

But my big concern are the windows. If those things come off at 90 miles an hour, I'm looking at some paint work....

Please my brothas, share any experiences, or tips.

I would recommend that you wait for a warmer day. The key with the 3M tape is insuring that the surface area is very clean. The swabs they provide will do just fine but I would pre clean prior to using the swabs supplied just to make sure there is no oily or waxy residue on the mounting surface. Most of your exterior badging is held on with the same tape so I don't think it will be an issue.

Thanks, I would feel alott better if they actually came with swabs, or intruction.

I was thinking of using Cotton and rubbing alcohol. does that make sense?

I would recommend that you wait for a warmer day. The key with the 3M tape is insuring that the surface area is very clean. The swabs they provide will do just fine but I would pre clean prior to using the swabs supplied just to make sure there is no oily or waxy residue on the mounting surface. Most of your exterior badging is held on with the same tape so I don't think it will be an issue.

I just picked up some Auluminum trim pieces for the out side of the car. Tailight and rear side window trim. Has anyone installed these? Will the tape hold at speed and temp extremes?

My first thought was to add an occasional drop of super glue, about every 2 or three inches.

But my big concern are the windows. If those things come off at 90 miles an hour, I'm looking at some paint work....

I put the tailight trim on last Aug with no problems so far. I did clean around the lights with the swabs.

Good luck.

Yes, having used it in my job (mechanical design engineer) rossvt is correct. One key is the surface prep, just like painting. The other key is the curing time. Although, the parts will stick at first, you need to let them cure at least overnight. It's also best to apply some pressure, like with a clamp or rubber band.

Then it will stick for years and years.

If you give it just a couple of hours to cure, it never will work properly.

Good luck.

Thanks folks!

I am still scracthing my head on how best to apply that pressure, give the unusall possition for both of these applications. If I think of something.... and it actually works. I will share the secret.

Thanks again

Yes, having used it in my job (mechanical design engineer) rossvt is correct. One key is the surface prep, just like painting. The other key is the curing time. Although, the parts will stick at first, you need to let them cure at least overnight. It's also best to apply some pressure, like with a clamp or rubber band.

Then it will stick for years and years.

If you give it just a couple of hours to cure, it never will work properly.

Good luck.

Thanks folks!

I am still scracthing my head on how best to apply that pressure, give the unusall possition for both of these applications. If I think of something.... and it actually works. I will share the secret.

Thanks again

Like Rosssvt said use alcohol pads to clean and prep the area. I also used a hair dryer to heat the tape after I peeled off the tape film. This got it nice and sticky and easy to bond. I applied the tailight and quarter window trim this way last summer and it is holding on nicely. Be careful as the aluminum gets hot and you only get one shot to line it up. It sticks good! Dave

th_100_0334.jpg

th_100_0178.jpg

Thanks,

I will try the Hairdyer idea too.... I ellected not to do it today. It only hit 42 today in the Chicago area. I think warmer weather will allow for better curing time. Then, when it's warm I won't want to do it because I will want to drive it! LOL!

White Lightning looks great by the way!

Like Rosssvt said use alcohol pads to clean and prep the area. I also used a hair dryer to heat the tape after I peeled off the tape film. This got it nice and sticky and easy to bond. I applied the tailight and quarter window trim this way last summer and it is holding on nicely. Be careful as the aluminum gets hot and you only get one shot to line it up. It sticks good! Dave

th_100_0334.jpg

th_100_0178.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I made the mods this weekend, and it seems to have taken very well.

I used cottonballs and rubbing alcohol to clean the are first. Then wiped it down with lense paper to avoid any lint of fibers. I did you the blue tape but believe it was unnecessary as the 3M tape on the parts is so much stickier than the masking tape.

I love the tailight tim on the black car. Makes it look very rich.

Thank you for all the advice.

Rich

P.S. is this what holds our fake gas caps on? That will be next when they come out.

Thanks,

I will try the Hairdyer idea too.... I ellected not to do it today. It only hit 42 today in the Chicago area. I think warmer weather will allow for better curing time. Then, when it's warm I won't want to do it because I will want to drive it! LOL!

White Lightning looks great by the way!

Here's what i did............I took a flood lamp and put it close to the area I was going to install my logo with 3M tape and let it heat up. Not too close so you harm the finish, I then warmed up the logo, attached it and let the lamp on it for about an hour. That was in January when my garage was 50 degrees, I just checked it last nite and it like steel on there, that's not comming off. Hope this helps you out!

P.S. I didn't want to wait until spring either!

UNFORTUNATELY for me, YES, it holds just fine...my scoop on the passenger side is about 1/4 inch further back at the bottom than at the top, and I guess I'm the only one that notices it, but it's bugging the hell outta me!!!!!

Archived