TEAM SHELBY FORUM

To Add a Rear Spoiler or Not To Add a Rear Spoiler...That is the Question!

Help me out guys....I'm torn now as to whether to add a rear spoiler to the SGT or not....When I first saw it, I thought...It's GOT to have a rear spoiler...Now, I'm not so sure...at least until I get into triple digits then I wish I had one to settle the rear end down a little....but if I go with a rear spoiler, do I go with the GT 500 spoiler or the original GT spoiler like on the GT-H? Why do these decisions have to be so hard? Is adding a rear spoiler going to damage the value of the car down the road? If so, should I just look for another trunk lid with a spoiler on it and add some stripes and the Shelby letters? Switch em out if I want to go back to stock? Decisions, Decisioins...give me your input please!!!

My opinion? Add one. I did on my 07 SGT/SC and I love the look and the added performance at speed. I installed the GT500 spoiler, and I believe that most others who have added a spoiler to their SGT's have installed the same.

Another option to consider would be to buy another deck lid, put the spoiler on it, and put your original deck lid in stroage. That way, you can always revert back to stock whenever you like.

Good luck with your decision.

I have decided to go with the 07-08 v6 spoiler on mine after finding one cheap at a local salvage yard. I do have a copy of the gt500 spoiler I bought and decided not to use. If your interested in it I would let you have it for 115.00 shipped. You would need to paint to match unless your car was black. (its already painted UA black) Not sure what brand it is. Claytang@comcast.net

I have decided to go with the 07-08 v6 spoiler on mine after finding one cheap at a local salvage yard. I do have a copy of the gt500 spoiler I bought and decided not to use. If your interested in it I would let you have it for 115.00 shipped. You would need to paint to match unless your car was black. (its already painted UA black) Not sure what brand it is. Claytang@comcast.net

Thanks for the offer, but I can pick one up painted to match my car for $130 shipped....all I have to do is order the stripe kit from SAI, get the spoiler mounted and install the stripes...Local shop said they'd mount it for $45.00 so I don't have to go drilling holes in my baby myself!!! YIKES!

Mine is at the body shop having the GT500 spoiler installed now. I think that after looking a various other SGt's and GT's the car just lacks that little punch without one. Just decide which type is better for you. As for me I can hardly wait to get it back.

Oh Yeah who ever you get it from make sure you ask for a template as some do not come with them.

Since no one else took this side I figured I'd speak up. I am a spoiler delete kinda guy. I love the clean look with out it. I dont know how often you are going to go fast enough to need the extra downforce. From a strictly visual aspect, I prefer the SGT with no spoiler.

And I know some are bothered by the beetle looking antenna for the sat radio, which is more prevelant when you have no spoiler....

but Jimmy crack corn and I dont care. :dance:

I added the GT Spoiler (see pic in my signature) about 2 weeks after I purchased my car last May... It was the very first item I ordered :happy feet:

1. Liked the look from the GT-H (Rented one in FL in Summer, 2006)

2. Wife's 2006 Black V-6 Mustang has the same one on it, so I used her trunk lid as a template when I drilled the holes in my hood.

3. The GT-Style does a better job of hiding the Sat "bug" already installed from the factory.

4. I'm still debating on adding the Stripes to the spoiler...

5. Overall, I thought it gave the car a more "balanced" look...

6. I also added the GT-Style spoiler to a 1995 White V-6 Mustang Coupe, because it gave that rear-end more "definition"...

7. And I do take the car to several Open Track events each year, and I think it makes the car look more "go" than "show"...

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

Look at pics in my picasa photo site. Last summer Ed and Tim put their black SGT's side by side so I could take comparitive pics of one with a spoiler and the other without. This should leave you just as confused, I should warn. LOL

I just installed my GT 500 spoiler today. Very easy install. I was going to do the stripes myself, but the local Ford dealer referred me to their trim guy who said he would install them for $40. Hopefully he will take care of it next week. I really liked the original GT350 look of no spoiler, but everytime I saw one with it, I thought it looked bolder.

+1

Added mine last week...prefer to call it the KR spoiler!

:hysterical:

Look at pics in my picasa photo site. Last summer Ed and Tim put their black SGT's side by side so I could take comparitive pics of one with a spoiler and the other without. This should leave you just as confused, I should warn. LOL

dang that front license plate frame.what an eye sore :(

Guys, i just purchased my GT500 spoiler, and i need to purchase the stripes...who do I talk to? Can someone PM the contact information of someone who works at SAI who knows what I need?

thanks!

Talk to Keith or Steve at Shelby Perf Parts and tell them what you need. They have a gt 500 wing stripe kit for $50. I initially talked to a guy named Chris there who wanted to sell me stripes for the front fascia and he was wrong. I would recommend test fitting before you install as there are angle cuts in the lager pieces to facilitate the curve of the spoiler. Put on the small lower pieces first and then overlap the larger upper pieces over the lower ones.

Since no one else took this side I figured I'd speak up. I am a spoiler delete kinda guy. I love the clean look with out it. I dont know how often you are going to go fast enough to need the extra downforce. From a strictly visual aspect, I prefer the SGT with no spoiler.

And I know some are bothered by the beetle looking antenna for the sat radio, which is more prevelant when you have no spoiler....

but Jimmy crack corn and I dont care. :dance:

I agree with you 100% - and I don't mind the sat. antennae at all.

I'm a fan of the GT500 Spoiler. I added mine and did the stripes. The first stripe I got from Graphic Express. The color match was almost exact but it needed to be trimmed down in width since it comes at 10 inches and our stripes are 9 inches. I did the first set ok but it wasn't perfect so I ordered another kit from SAI. This one was of a better material and I am happier with the one from SAI. It wasn't the cheaper way to go but it was a good experience.

Talk to Keith or Steve at Shelby Perf Parts and tell them what you need. They have a gt 500 wing stripe kit for $50. I initially talked to a guy named Chris there who wanted to sell me stripes for the front fascia and he was wrong. I would recommend test fitting before you install as there are angle cuts in the lager pieces to facilitate the curve of the spoiler. Put on the small lower pieces first and then overlap the larger upper pieces over the lower ones.

Chris tried that with me too! He doesn't know what he is talking about.

just emailed you about the spoiler...

I went to have the SPP stripes installed on my new spoiler today and the installer told me they need some kind of protective film. He is taking them home to add the film. I got the impression it was needed to aid in the install and then peels off. Has anyone heard of this?

Archived