TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Push Rod found in Tire!

mciarochi

:huh:

So, I back out of the driveway, put it in first and got about 10 feet. There was a crunch like I ran over a soda can, and then clanking and rattling. It sounded like rocks in a brake drum, except we don't have brake drums. At first I couldn't see anything, then I saw a piece of metal in the left rear tread, and thought, "Oh, crap, there's $500 down the tubes."

So I took the tire off and brought it to the dealer, who immediately took the rubber off the rim. What a mess! There's a freaking PUSH ROD in there. WTF!!!

It stuck through the tread (the thick part, not a groove), and was poking up inside the tire. The "pop" was apparently when the rim came down on it and broke off the small part that we found inside the tire. It really messed up the tire (it being a rather dull object, it tore through the tread) and tore the crap out of the sensor belt. Hopefully, the sensor is still okay. Amazingly, it still held air. Which, now that I think of it is really weird, because push rods are hollow. I just checked, and the end that was stuck in the rubber is plugged up with pavement.

So, like everybody there was checking this thing out, and asking how exactly did I manage to do that. I was going maybe 10mph, probably closer to 5. This is a normal, suburban neighborhood, nobody's got any cars on blocks with engines tore down in their yard or anything.

So, in case you're wondering, the tire is $223, the belt is $60, the sensor is $80. With labor and taxes and all, well over $400. I checked a couple of places, and the dealer was cheapest by a few dollars, believe it or not. Since the push rod didn't come out of my engine, it's not covered under warranty (I tried). :spend:

Any theories? It actually left a divot in the pavement where the Shelby apparently stood on the thing before broke through the tread, but there are no cracks or anything in the pavement where it could wedge in and stick up in the air.

Elves? Malicious yard gnomes? :worm: Did it fall out of a parallel universe or something? :alien:

DSC01280.jpg

I don't think that even the Mythbusters could duplicate that one. You might want to go get some lottery tickets. I know it was bad luck, but it certainly was some kind of luck to make that one happen.

From my experience, rear tires are more prone to this type of damage. It can occur when you run over an object at speed (such as your push rod) with the front tire and the object gets kicked up and tumbles. The rear tire then hits it as it is tumbling and gets punctured. Either that or someone deliberately propped it up behind your tire.

From my experience, rear tires are more prone to this type of damage. It can occur when you run over an object at speed (such as your push rod) with the front tire and the object gets kicked up and tumbles. The rear tire then hits it as it is tumbling and gets punctured. Either that or someone deliberately propped it up behind your tire.

I thought of both of those things. The problem with #1 is that I was going s-l-o-w. I'd just backed out of the driveway.

The problem with #2 is it's an awfully oddball thing to prop under a tire. On the other hand, I'm kind of leaning that way. Some of the neighborhood kids have been putting snappers and other harmless things under parked car tires over the last week or two. This? Not-so-harmless. Maybe they were thinking I'd squash it, like pennies on a railroad track...that is, IF somebody propped it up there.

Whatever, time for me to go fork over the cash and get the tire.

I've heard alot of weird stuff but this is the best yet!, I'm leaning toward sabatoge!

Well It either the above, some punk staged it, flying debris from garbage day, or the blue viper that blew a rod driving by you’re house trying to get your attention, oh wait that was my house.

I vote SSGT600 should bring his theory to Myth Busters and see if they'll let him prove or bust his theory, it would be interesting to see, just how it happens if for no other reason then just to see it.

Good common-sense logic SSGT, got to be that perfect timing call back luck; we've all been there at least once.

Mciarochi, keep an eye open some times bad luck run in pairs. I hate to hear you had another syfi experance they are costly.

Well It either the above, some punk staged it, flying debris from garbage day, or the blue viper that blew a rod driving by you’re house trying to get your attention, oh wait that was my house.

I vote SSGT600 should bring his theory to Myth Busters and see if they'll let him prove or bust his theory, it would be interesting to see, just how it happens if for no other reason then just to see it.

Good common-sense logic SSGT, got to be that perfect timing call back luck; we've all been there at least once.

Mciarochi, keep an eye open some times bad luck run in pairs. I hate to hear you had another syfi experance they are costly.

Maybe it was your cat.? I knew we should have rubbed it out! :hysterical3:

WOW!

Never have seen that before & I have seen a lot of crap in tires before. was the car sitting outside in the drive way over night? Was this your 1st trip of the day? check to see where you parked near an expansion crack in the driveway where someone could have used the crack to prop up or lean the push rod up against the tire so when you backed out it would go in.

man this is a strange case :headscratch:

Maybe it was your cat.? I knew we should have rubbed it out! :hysterical3:

MEEOWWWWWWWWWW I should be so lucky

• 3 weeks later...

Having managed a couple of tire shops I have seen many strange things in tires, including a push rod, watches, knives, and even a Hotwheels car. I would bet that the push rod was there from the last trip you took down the highway and I would also bet that it was in the right rear tire, the most common place for stuff to kick up and puncture. One of the tires/wheels came in with the push rod clear through the tire tread and through the rim of the wheel like an arrow shot into it. One funny customer came in with a flat right front tire, seems she had shot her gun inside the cab of her F150, into the floor board, into the tire and out through the wheel. She was upset we wouldnt replace the tire for free :hysterical3: Sorry for your bad luck. Mark

No, that was definitely picked up right here at the house. I felt the push rod break against the rim. It damn near took out the rim, too (it did destroy the pressure sensor and belt). Besides, the tire lost about half the air overnight, it would have been flat if I drove it home. Left rear tire. There are no cracks or anything in the street to prop up the rod, but I did find the divot where the rim drove it into the pavement before it broke. Once again, I was really going almost 0 mph when this happened. I had just backed out of the driveway and put it in first.

I seriously suspect a landscape crew that was working at the house across the street. Not the weekly regulars, but the drive around the neighborhood knocking on doors kind of landscapers. They were gone by the time I left, but their equipment would easily be voted "most likely to have loose pushrods laying around."

I think it was propped up behind the wheel on purpose.

Archived