TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So what are the Faux Gas Caps gonna look like?

Does anyone know what SAI is actually gonna make?

Do a search here and in the main Discussion forum and you will find them. One for the SGT and one for the SGT/SC There is also a member here that has them as his avatar. They resemble the new cobra wheel caps and will match nicely as a set if you decide to go that route.

Go to this thread: http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry395867

Look at Post #67 and you will see the gas caps as part of BergShelby's signature. Jim

So is the Shelby GT considered a "COBRA" or not? I've thought that it was odd that it did not come with any "COBRA" emblems but now there are several out for it...wheel caps, head rest covers, arm rest covers, power plugs, dead pedal (NEW), Fluid Caps (NEW), and the Faux Gas Cap Cover (IF it ever arrives)...

Curious minds want to know....

So is the Shelby GT considered a "COBRA" or not? I've thought that it was odd that it did not come with any "COBRA" emblems but now there are several out for it...wheel caps, head rest covers, arm rest covers, power plugs, dead pedal (NEW), Fluid Caps (NEW), and the Faux Gas Cap Cover (IF it ever arrives)...

Curious minds want to know....

I don't think it's a "Cobra", as neither Ford nor SAI has ever advertised it as such. The GT500, on the other hand, is, and has snakes on it from the factory to prove it. Therefore, any added Cobra emblems will be cloning Shelby GT's to become Cobras. Some people won't like that, some will.

Thought - SAI could come out, if they wanted to, with a SAI-cerified, official "upgrade" to the Shelby GT by declaring it to be a "Cobra". I doubt that will happen, but it would be a good way for them to sell more stuff and make money!!

I don't think it's a "Cobra", as neither Ford nor SAI has ever advertised it as such. The GT500, on the other hand, is, and has snakes on it from the factory to prove it. Therefore, any added Cobra emblems will be cloning Shelby GT's to become Cobras. Some people won't like that, some will.

Thought - SAI could come out, if they wanted to, with a SAI-cerified, official "upgrade" to the Shelby GT by declaring it to be a "Cobra". I doubt that will happen, but it would be a good way for them to sell more stuff and make money!!

I believe this issue has always been that Ford owns "Cobra" and the old snake logo. SAI has a "new" snake logo now and could use it going forward. My suspicion is that the lack of these at the start was more a legal and marketing issue.

I was against the Cobras as well all know...but I hate the "GT" more...so boring. I have even thought to use the V6 cap with the ribbon horse to match the wheels and front end so I may go that route still! I would be happy to buy the cap but only with the wheel caps as a set so I have one branding. Though this does bring into question the front grill ribbon and if there should be a new snake logo there as well!

I'm not so much in one camp or the other I just want it to be consistent and clean. By that measure I may hold off until and if a front grill snake is released.

Who knows...maybe my true HATRED, and that's not even strong enough, of the GT cap will overpower my sense of aesthetics.

I believe this issue has always been that Ford owns "Cobra" and the old snake logo. SAI has a "new" snake logo now and could use it going forward. My suspicion is that the lack of these at the start was more a legal and marketing issue.

I was against the Cobras as well all know...but I hate the "GT" more...so boring. I have even thought to use the V6 cap with the ribbon horse to match the wheels and front end so I may go that route still! I would be happy to buy the cap but only with the wheel caps as a set so I have one branding. Though this does bring into question the front grill ribbon and if there should be a new snake logo there as well!

I'm not so much in one camp or the other I just want it to be consistent and clean. By that measure I may hold off until and if a front grill snake is released.

Who knows...maybe my true HATRED, and that's not even strong enough, of the GT cap will overpower my sense of aesthetics.

Well don't forget the steering wheel in all of this either....if they are gonna produce Snakes for everything, we need that to have the new Snake too....

Well don't forget the steering wheel in all of this either....if they are gonna produce Snakes for everything, we need that to have the new Snake too....

Very true!

I would buy a complete "Cobra" set if offered. I think that would be a nice package!

- Steering wheel cap

- Wheel caps

- Gas cap

- Front Grill cobra

- Engine Dress-up

This would be a compelling offering to me and preserve the elegant simplicity of the car.

IMHO!

I am on the fence about the gas cap. The design is fine for me. It would tie in my engine caps. However, if it is not ready by the time I am ready to buy I may buy the "CS" style with supercharged on it that is found in the catalog. I would like to bring more of the "CS" logo onto the car. Maybe the gas cap, wheel center caps would be awesome, and maybe even the engine caps. Of course I don't think the last two are available.

I may buy one of the Shelby GT caps because I was a big proponent of a Shelby GT specific gas cap and I am sure SAI had to order a big minimum. I am too nice that way some times.

I am on the fence about the gas cap. The design is fine for me. It would tie in my engine caps. However, if it is not ready by the time I am ready to buy I may buy the "CS" style with supercharged on it that is found in the catalog. I would like to bring more of the "CS" logo onto the car. Maybe the gas cap, wheel center caps would be awesome, and maybe even the engine caps. Of course I don't think the last two are available.

I may buy one of the Shelby GT caps because I was a big proponent of a Shelby GT specific gas cap and I am sure SAI had to order a big minimum. I am too nice that way some times.

Ya, Chris you better buy one. You started this whole thing. J/K My advice would be for everybody to buy one, a couple of reasons why......First we all wanted it(most of us) and Amy went ahead and did it. Two this is one of those items that in ten years they'll be hard to come buy for a decent price and wished you had. Obviously some people aren't happy with the design, you don't have to put it on the car, but I would still buy one anyway. In the future when we ask Amy for things and she comes through for us, it would be nice to know that we would follow through and buy it.

Now if we could just get those matching rear brake calipers or covers, or? I'd be a happy camper. Well almost, I would like to know the breakdown on the SC numbers, how many Paxtons and Whipples....AND, OK I won't push my luck. :idea:

............ I have even thought to use the V6 cap with the ribbon horse to match the wheels and front end so I may go that route still! I would be happy to buy the cap but only with the wheel caps as a set so I have one branding..........

I agree. There is so much ribbon horse stuff on the car already, putting a snake on the rear would be a little strange. I think if you could modify the ribbon horse and add the Shelby GT or Shelby GT/SC lettering it would be better. ...... But you probably could not get that through Ford.

I agree. There is so much ribbon horse stuff on the car already, putting a snake on the rear would be a little strange. I think if you could modify the ribbon horse and add the Shelby GT or Shelby GT/SC lettering it would be better. ...... But you probably could not get that through Ford.

Funny! That was my suggestion a year ago! It had the V6 style ribbon horse with SGT under taking up some of the lower ribbon like the "302" or "289" did in years past.

Oh well...

Funny! That was my suggestion a year ago! It had the V6 style ribbon horse with SGT under taking up some of the lower ribbon like the "302" or "289" did in years past.

Oh well...

Sorry - I'll give you credit for it. I didn't know you suggested it. I'm haven't been a member long enough. I yield to the wisdom that comes with your seniority :hysterical: :bowdown: :hysterical:

But I'm with you on this deal - It's a better idea

The nice thing is that we have options. The cap does not take away from anybody...it only gives another choice for those that want it.

A little history. Many of us SGT owners from the old forum believed that the SGT was a special car and one that deserved a special cap. Most of us that started this grassroot request agreed that the cap must be sanction by SAI and that it be exclusive to the SGT. Trying to get 300-3000+ members to agree to anything was next to impossible. I have little fight left in me to discuss snake/no snake/original/new designs. Unless you were there, you will never fully understand all the debates about such a simple thing. Just when someone came up with a good design, someone else would come up with a better one. Only to find out that the design for varies reasons would not be approved by SAI. Then new owners would come on with similar designs that were already turned down. It was an endless debate. It was a pure miracle that we agreed on a single design, let alone SAI agreeing to build them. I was the lucky one to be credited for the final "BergShelby" design that was approved by Amy. But really, it was a joint effort by many members. Unfortunately, I'm afraid not all of them made it to the new site. Amy is being extremely...I mean extremely nice to do this for us. I for one will always be grateful. For me, this is just one of the ways that sets Shelby apart from other companies. For those that were part of this request...we thank you Amy. thank you.

I may just have to buy half a dozen of them for coasters to make up for lost members. And if you are an Shelby investor, who knows, 30 years from now they may be worth more than the car itself. :hysterical: You just never know? And for every SGT that I see one on...I know I will have a smile as big as the smile I had the first day I saw my SGT. But then that is just me.

There is no wrong decision here...your choices are.....

You have supercharge and non-supercharge non-snake options from SPP.

057-728_1.jpg

You have gas cap ring for existing GT cap, available from SPP.

00fd_1.jpg

There is a Tiff Snake available from Ford

CobraCap_003.jpg

And I know many of you will keep it original.

FR3-1020-05AA.jpg

But now we have one more choice. An exclusive gap cap, approved by SAI, using the new style snake..that Cobra DNA that is in all of Shelby's cars.

ShelbyGTCapFinalFinal.jpg

If you want to go down memory lane checking out past designs, or just see what other ideas that were past around. Here is a link to many of the designs that were submitted throughout the 9+ months of debates. Caps that did not make it

Oh well...

Was it this one???

shelby.jpg

What Berg said + 1,000!!!

We must have had close to 20 pages of debate on which design to go with. I appreciate Berg's design and Amy's willingness to have a special gas cap made for our cars rather than the generic one that's on there now. So far as the snake, I believe Carroll said there is a little Cobra in every thing Shelby. Honestly, I don't think there will be a problem selling the new cap. If I remember correctly, there were plans to sell a "set" including wheel caps and steering wheel horn cap. Bring 'em on Amy, I'm ready to buy :happy feet:

Jim

Oh the memories! I made quite a few of the rejected designs.

Like others said: If you don't like the new design don't buy it. I think once it comes out, many of the naysayers will jump on the "snake" band wagon.

Remember, the Cobra emblems in their various forms/shapes are Shelby copyrighted designs. I.e. it represents his company. As Mr Shelby said, there is a little Cobra in every car he designs. Before there was a Ford Mustang there was a Shelby Cobra.

The one that is being used on the Shelby Gas cap first appeared on the 1969 GT 350 and GT 500s.

+1 and the wheel caps...hoping for a steering wheel cap!

This what I have now jeff:

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...9%20Hubcap.aspx

I do not think they need to make wheel caps anymore because the one above match the gas cap already. So far the only horse logo I have in my car is the steering wheel cap. My front grille is a shelby cs grille so no horse in there :)

Archived