TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Will have the car at Bandimere tonight...

old guy

...for test & tune. My son is going to run it down the track a couple of times just to see what it'll do in factory trim. He's not going to push it too hard yet as it only has about 700 miles on it, but anyone in the area who wants to see the car, c'mon down.

Take some videos and post your times. Please:)

Guest evilchris

...for test & tune. My son is going to run it down the track a couple of times just to see what it'll do in factory trim. He's not going to push it too hard yet as it only has about 700 miles on it, but anyone in the area who wants to see the car, c'mon down.

700 miles? It's COMPLETELY broken in. hammer it.

What time are you going to be there?

700 miles? It's COMPLETELY broken in. hammer it.

Evil c what is your opinion on breaking in a new engine. If you go to mototune.com they say to run the engine hard for the very first twenty miles and not baby the car this will let the rings seat better in these modern engines. What about all of the other parts cams bearings etc etc... I used this method on a brand new honda and after about three thousand miles the engine is noisy on start up i believe its due to valve lash when the engine is cold. Yeah no rice burning bashing i am a dedicated ford fanatic since a child. the honda is a daily driver and good on gas. I think these honda engines are known for that noise when cold or maybe its because its not a ford product(lol) Thanks for any info

Well, it was kind of disappointing, actually. 14.1 - 14.4 pretty consistantly with speeds of 103-108. Elevation at Bandimere is 5280 ft and temp was 82, which I figured raised density altitude about another 3000 ft or so, but still should have done better.

My son usually runs down the track in an automatic and it was clear that he was having major problems hooking up. His 60 ft times were in the 2.4-2.7 range. Once he got hooked up, tho. he had no trouble catching up, but probably lost at least 1/2 - 3/4 second due to inability to launch properly. We ran several passes with bone stock everything. Toward the end of the evening we dropped tire pressure to 15 lbs and were planning a low rpm launch and major clutch feathering until the wheels hooked, but the skies opened up and we never got the last run in.

So, all in all, the car has a lot of power, but technique is going to play a major roll in getting the best times out of it. ANy suggestions on launch techniques?

EDIT: As an aside, the car does have a low tire pressure warning light.

What time are you going to be there?

Pretzel, Sorry, didn't see the question till ths morning. Test & tune starts about 4:30 and runs until about 10:30 or so. He likes to get there early, so we got there at about 4:15. Any time you want to come up to Westminster and see the car, let me know.

Did you try any runs with TCS on. I'll bet that until he gets more experienced with the car, he'll get better times that way.

Yes, we tried both, but the runs were pretty consistant. With TCS on and about a 2400 rpm launch it just bogged to about 1000 RPM. Without TCS we just wasted tires.

Guest evilchris

Well, it was kind of disappointing, actually. 14.1 - 14.4 pretty consistantly with speeds of 103-108. Elevation at Bandimere is 5280 ft and temp was 82, which I figured raised density altitude about another 3000 ft or so, but still should have done better.

My son usually runs down the track in an automatic and it was clear that he was having major problems hooking up. His 60 ft times were in the 2.4-2.7 range. Once he got hooked up, tho. he had no trouble catching up, but probably lost at least 1/2 - 3/4 second due to inability to launch properly. We ran several passes with bone stock everything. Toward the end of the evening we dropped tire pressure to 15 lbs and were planning a low rpm launch and major clutch feathering until the wheels hooked, but the skies opened up and we never got the last run in.

So, all in all, the car has a lot of power, but technique is going to play a major roll in getting the best times out of it. ANy suggestions on launch techniques?

Yeah every 2007 vehicle is required to have TPMS.

As far as I know your elevation isn't as much of a factor since the GT500 makes its own atmosphere. Was the blower hitting 9 PSI?

Were any terminators there? What were they running?

Your trap speed indicated the car should be hitting low 13's so you're wasting a second spinning, not launching hard enough etc.

Guest evilchris

My experience is that it won't be COMPLETELY broken in until about 2-3000 miles, but 700 miles is probably enough to start helping it along.

With older pushrod engine I agree, I do not agree with the modular OHC engines.

Yeah every 2007 vehicle is required to have TPMS.

As far as I know your elevation isn't as much of a factor since the GT500 makes its own atmosphere. Was the blower hitting 9 PSI?

Were any terminators there? What were they running?

Your trap speed indicated the car should be hitting low 13's so you're wasting a second spinning, not launching hard enough etc.

Didn't notice any Terminators there, but lots of modified GT's. They were running in the 13's with a few in the low-mid 12's. Most were running with a bottle.

The elevation will have an effect, even with the blower. It certainly helps, though. Have flown for years and the effects of altitude and thinner air are well known in turbocharged aircraft. Higher altitude also has an effect on blower temp.

PSI has ben running 5-7 on the street when I put my foot into it. I didn't ask my son what it was doing last night.

With older pushrod engine I agree, I do not agree with the modular OHC engines.

You may be right, but my indicator is when fuel mileage levels off, usually about 2-3K miles, in my experience. Right now it is still pushing upward .2-.3 per tankful.

I've had a couple of questions thinking about this. Did the tires bark and then blow off? As in did it seem like the tires might have been shocked into breaking loose, as opposed to just too darn hard? I fear that going too low with tire pressue may allow the hard sidewalls in the run flats to strike first and the tread cupping up off the surface.(less contact) And did you notice any big front rise(weight transfer) The good ride may limit the amt of transfer, however I do recall that heavy braking shot in one of the proving ground video's that showed big brake dive. May give us a clue. :shrug: And finally, I wonder if that wonderful new clutch might allow us some spin(as per MM) to sort of walk the car out and then floorboard it. Specs wise, I think it might be alright with a few reasonable launchs like that. Thanks for running it, and look forward to more info. We know theres more in it, we just need to figure out where.

I've had a couple of questions thinking about this. Did the tires bark and then blow off? As in did it seem like the tires might have been shocked into breaking loose, as opposed to just too darn hard? I fear that going too low with tire pressue may allow the hard sidewalls in the run flats to strike first and the tread cupping up off the surface.(less contact) And did you notice any big front rise(weight transfer) The good ride may limit the amt of transfer, however I do recall that heavy braking shot in one of the proving ground video's that showed big brake dive. May give us a clue. :shrug: And finally, I wonder if that wonderful new clutch might allow us some spin(as per MM) to sort of walk the car out and then floorboard it. Specs wise, I think it might be alright with a few reasonable launchs like that. Thanks for running it, and look forward to more info. We know theres more in it, we just need to figure out where.

The tires just spun from the start. Letting off then getting on it just caused them to spin again. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of front rise. We never got to run the car with low pressure since the track closed because of rain. I think as soon as he finds the right launch or we change the tires out he'll do a lot better. There is no doubt from what I saw that the car has gobs of power right from the factory.

The elevation will have an effect, even with the blower. It certainly helps, though. Have flown for years and the effects of altitude and thinner air are well known in turbocharged aircraft. Higher altitude also has an effect on blower temp.

Agree. The blower simply is a pressure "addition" device. If the incoming air is 1 inch-Hg lower at that elevation, the manifold pressure (post-blower) will also be 1 inch-Hg lower...so it will hurt you some.

Don't despair, keep tuning and experimenting with launch techniques. Sounds like a set of drag slicks may be in order for you. :happy feet:

Dave

Agree. The blower simply is a pressure "addition" device. If the incoming air is 1 inch-Hg lower at that elevation, the manifold pressure (post-blower) will also be 1 inch-Hg lower...so it will hurt you some.

Don't despair, keep tuning and experimenting with launch techniques. Sounds like a set of drag slicks may be in order for you. :happy feet:

Dave

Hey guys... I am light on knowledge here so please be easy on me. It looks like we have lots of power to work with and vehicle weight is not that far off from the traction is the enemy. When traction control is on it bogs the rpms down so your launch is slow. When it is off it is hard to launch without spinning the tires and possibly loosing control of the vehicle. Is there any way to modify the traction control to be more aggressive, yet still damper the unbridled power of the vehicle? Why is this an issue with the GT500 that was not an issue of the same magnitude with the terminator or earlier cobras?

Once again please forgive my ignorance on the subject.

Hey guys... I am light on knowledge here so please be easy on me. It looks like we have lots of power to work with and vehicle weight is not that far off from the traction is the enemy. When traction control is on it bogs the rpms down so your launch is slow. When it is off it is hard to launch without spinning the tires and possibly loosing control of the vehicle. Is there any way to modify the traction control to be more aggressive, yet still damper the unbridled power of the vehicle? Why is this an issue with the GT500 that was not an issue of the same magnitude with the terminator or earlier cobras?

Once again please forgive my ignorance on the subject.

Not ignorant...pretty good thinking. I'm no expert either, but it seems to me that drag slicks would be a good first step.

Dave

That's okay for the strip - how about the street?

I don't like to sound critical - but it seems as though the boys in Dearborn didn't really do their homework as they might have. Power is great - but you need to get it down.

Been giving this a bit more thought. Caveat: I know you can modify the car any one of hundreds of ways and thousands of $, I am FOR THIS DISCUSSION focusing on stock or nearly stock. The usual things apply(air box restrictions, tires), but I wonder if loosening the front swaybar will allow the front end to rise and plant some of that horse meat on the rear axle. Could perhaps an owner have a look and if it is at all like other MMST Stangs you can actually get in there to do that with the front wheel at lock and sitting on the ground. Not much more than about 5 mins to do I would guess. I also bet a good 1/2 a tank of fuel might slosh back and help a tiny bit as well. I would dearly love to find out where in the 1500-2200 rev range this car will just roll out with a bit of wheelspin, as its pretty obvious that it darn near has to bog to get it to move without blowing the tires off(judging by what I've seen and heard, as unreliable as that is, I'm going to guess about 2000). I also have a few other thoughts but will wait for comment before I waste any more typing.

I don't like to sound critical - but it seems as though the boys in Dearborn didn't really do their homework as they might have. Power is great - but you need to get it down.

Hmmmm, maybe drag radials just take it easy in the rain rufdraft.

You are right...but we'll find some street solutions too. This may be a bit counterintuitive, but I'm wondering about ADDING weight to the back end....to increase traction. Some type of traction bar will be designed...and will help here. I also wonder if there is a wider tire that would fit on the rear.

Dave

I was just thinking tonight... I have had several opportunities for street races since I got the car, but I find I have no desire to partake. So. for me, it's not an issue.

I also wonder if there is a wider tire that would fit on the rear.

My research in the past lead me to conclude that the wheel well is size limited. I have since more or less confirmed with a company building a SEMA car that without mini-tubs or rolling the fender lip the max that can go on a slightly lowered car is a 305. THAT IS NOT THE GOSPEL,yet!!! Early/tire suspension thread

My research in the past lead me to conclude that the wheel well is size limited. I have since more or less confirmed with a company building a SEMA car that without mini-tubs or rolling the fender lip the max that can go on a slightly lowered car is a 305. THAT IS NOT THE GOSPEL,yet!!! Early/tire suspension thread

Thanks Jet. Just hope RUF doesn't see that word "roll" in your post...he may get out the papers. :hysterical:

Archived